Pen tool line with 90-degree lines

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there a way to draw lines with PS CS pen tool as follows:

Screenshot_20200405-003507.jpg

I want those 90-degree lines to show up when I draw a line. What is the easiest solution?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

The only way I know how to do this is to create a pattern of one of the short lines:

90 deg line 1.jpg

Then, using the pen tool, set as a path, draw a line. Then use Edit>Fill to use the scripting fill patterns to follow along a path.

90 deg line 2.jpg

Adjust the size, spacing, alternate pattern, and distance from the path to your liking.

90 deg line 3.jpg

Then you should be able to convert the path to a shape while the pen tool is selected and set a stroke for the new shape layer. However, there seems to be a bug with that, so you might have to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I know how to do this is to create a pattern of one of the short lines:

90 deg line 1.jpg

Then, using the pen tool, set as a path, draw a line. Then use Edit>Fill to use the scripting fill patterns to follow along a path.

90 deg line 2.jpg

Adjust the size, spacing, alternate pattern, and distance from the path to your liking.

90 deg line 3.jpg

Then you should be able to convert the path to a shape while the pen tool is selected and set a stroke for the new shape layer. However, there seems to be a bug with that, so you might have to redraw the line, making sure the option is set to shape instead of path. Then you can stroke the line.

90 deg line 4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great advice. 

But, depending on the output-needs, I wonder if Illustraor might not be a better fit for the task. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A big thank you for the advise!

Appreciate it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines