Highlighted

Pen tool not holding my brush "width" sett

Contributor ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used the pen tool in Photoshop daily for years and have always been satisfied with it.

Today, unfortunately, the pen tool is not following my brush setting. In this example, I have my brish set at 3 pixels (I am forcing the issues) and when I used the pen, either with simulated pressure or not, it did not conform. Here's an example:

photoshop-brush-issue.jpg

I am at my wits end as I have a lot of work to complete and I cannot go forward! I've closed and rebooted photoshop, and after posting this, I'll close and reboot my PC.

My fingers are crossed that I find help. I'll be glad to provide examples of my work todate to show you how I use this tool.

Karen

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Pen tool not holding my brush "width" sett

Contributor ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used the pen tool in Photoshop daily for years and have always been satisfied with it.

Today, unfortunately, the pen tool is not following my brush setting. In this example, I have my brish set at 3 pixels (I am forcing the issues) and when I used the pen, either with simulated pressure or not, it did not conform. Here's an example:

photoshop-brush-issue.jpg

I am at my wits end as I have a lot of work to complete and I cannot go forward! I've closed and rebooted photoshop, and after posting this, I'll close and reboot my PC.

My fingers are crossed that I find help. I'll be glad to provide examples of my work todate to show you how I use this tool.

Karen

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 08, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible and the Brush Tool selected? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the process of getting screen samples - I rebooted my computer. Same problem. The pen line is always the same no matter what I set the brush at. I am thinking of reinstalling photoshop.

3 screen captures - pen setting, brush setting, and brush and pen usage 

Adobe-pen-1.jpgAdobe-pen-2.jpgAdobe-pen-3.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you talking about? 

Please don’t clip the screenshots to exclude relevant parts – one canno teven see which tool actually is selected when you hit »Stroke path …«. 

What are the exact settings when you alt-click the »Stroke path …«-button? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 - set up brush stroke. It is 5 px, hard round.

Karen_Little_0-1602250758541.png

2 - select pen tool

Karen_Little_1-1602250917848.png

3 - Draw path

Karen_Little_2-1602250967296.png

4 - Prepare to stroke path with 5 px width

Karen_Little_3-1602251045029.png

5 - path drawn using pen and brush point

Karen_Little_4-1602251102686.png

6 - this is not a 5 px path. Using this same path, here is the pencil version of it

Karen_Little_5-1602251162545.png

7 - the outcome of the pencil version with the path overlay

Karen_Little_6-1602251200593.png

8 - the pencil version of the path at 5 px

Karen_Little_7-1602251234906.png

9 - and here, in red to show the difference, is the brush using the 5 px path

Karen_Little_8-1602251293988.png

10 - and to be clear, in blue, here is a path drawn with the pen tool using the same brush point

Karen_Little_9-1602251378063.png

Discussion: Until a day ago, one way to set the pen path width and other considerations was through the brush tip settings. I've used it daily for years and years (note that I am one of the first Photoshop for the PC users in the world today - used it since its inception).

There is a glitch in the system that is causing this not to work. Adobe needs to fix it and I am having this discussion in another place.

*NOW* if you can use the pen/brush setting together without an issue, then something is truly wrong with my computer. Realize, however, that all of my Photoshop updates have been installed, and my PC has been rebooted twice since I reported this.

This is a screen capture, but I could print out the entirety of its contents.

Karen_Little_10-1602251690665.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the first screenshot you don’t have the Brush Tool selected but the Pencil Tool. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course I have the pencil tool selected. The pen tool works with the pencil tool selected.
Using the same file and continuing, here is what hapens when I document the use of the pen tool. Follow along with the previous msg I wrote.

Continued . . . A - the path is again created to the far right of the file and the brush tool is selected

Karen_Little_0-1602258435521.png

B - The path is stroked in Green to show the change

Karen_Little_1-1602258518694.png

C - And here is the file with the "path deleted"

Karen_Little_3-1602258640900.png

The Pen tool does not hold the brush tip as it is supposed to. I can also demonstrate (as I have in my first documented message) that it does not make any difference what brush tip is selected, the path using the brush-pen combination always comes out like the blue and green lines above.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you keep clipping your screenshots so much? 

As far as I can tell you select the pencil tool and set its tip size but then you apply the brush tool to the  path. So what do you expect? 

The Brush Tool and the Pencil Tool are two different Tools so I don’t quite understand what your problem is. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 2 updates, 20.0.10 (which is currently updating, and 21.2.4, which I'll update when finish.

I am praying it solves my problem . . . until it is solved, I'm dead in the water

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HUGE CHANGE HUGE CHANGE ---

The pen tool appears to no longer be connected to the brush tip.

I changed the STROKE to pencil and it the line came out correctly.

This is really awful in that Adobe did something that changed settings - I do not know how much trouble I'm going to have from this point forward. I am going to work with the pencil setting for stroking now .... but I am betting that strokingwon't work with special brush tips. BIG PROBLEM.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - the path now does not pick up brush settings, outside of "Pressure" if you have your tip set as not-round.
To get the correct thickness you have to use Pencil.

This is something that changed overnight.

I hope Adobe is informed - apparently, everything is newly updated and this is a big BUG

PS - I don't know how to make a stream of comment updates here. I'm sorry if the only option I have is the REPLY button 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED - With some help from the Adobe Facebook team, we determined that my problem was not common.
An Adobe Technician mounted my computer and determined that my set up file was corrupt, and reiniated it.
The only thing that I could think of that might have affected it is that I have a lot of trouble with Illustrator crashing, and I was working with both programs the night before the problem. Hopefully, I'll get that solved next week.

adobe-pen-solution.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 0