Performance > Advanced Settings > Drawing Mode - Restricted to Basic in Photoshop 22.3 on Windows 10

Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This started with Alt Right Click brush size not working, and a look at Properties > Performance > GPU Acceleration > Drawing Mode showed it was set to Basic, and the other options were greyed out.  I thought that Alt right click brush size should still work with Drawing Mode set to Basic, and restarting the computer did get that working, but Drawing Mode was still restricted to Basic.

I upgraded the video card driver (RTX2070 — 465.91

I checked Windows 10 for updates and restarted the computer a couple of times.

This post on the Feedback site (December last year) shows a similar issue with V22.1 on a MBP but there are too many differences to consider it highly relevant.  The thing is I have not checked GPU Drawing Mode for a good wee while ass everything was working.

I've been keeping up with the forum for a few weeks now and have not noticed similar threads, and while I am not losing sleep over this, it does say:

image.png

...so does anyone have any thoughts?

System:
Windows 10 19042 up to date, clean reinstall a few weeks ago.

RTX 2070 — 465.91

Photoshop V22.3

Cache levels set to 4

image.png

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop due to the Drawing mode being stuck at Basic. Have you tried re-installing the NVIDIA drivers or installing an older version of the drivers to check if you experience the same behavior? If not please try that to check if that helps.

You can also try the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

Please let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikunj - this is not a driver issue - it is due to a change in 22.3 and breaks the use of 30 bit displays. Dropping back to 22.2 restores normality.

Dave

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Dave! I will check about this issue with the product team & ask them to acknowledge it on the thread you've shared if it has already been logged as a bug.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks 🙂

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bug Trevor. I reported it on the feedback forum and several folk have confirmed. It also breaks 30 bit display.

I have reverted to 22.2

I will attach a link to the feedback forum thread when I get back into the office.

Dave

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm Dave's analysis - the problem is specific to 22.3. I'm using a never Nvidia driver/gpu (461.92 / RTX3070) and observe the same behaviour with 22.3; 22.2 and 21.2.6 work as expected.

Roland

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the feedback forum thread that I started :

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-223-30-bit-display-and-advanced-dra...

So far, zero response from Adobe to it 😞

Dave

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave.  

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea why, but I am suddenable to set Drawing Mode > Advanced to Advanced.  All three options are now available.

[EDIT]  Well it worked for about two minutes but has reverted to Basic again.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I also had that happen. In the end I reverted back to 22.2 which works reliably

Dave

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines