• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Performance is an absolute train wreck - older versions?

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done everything I can to get photoshop and lightroom to stop crashing, run reasonably, and just generally not be a giant pig of a software package.  While my machine is older it ran previous versions of photoshop much much better than it does now. 

Windows has been reinstalled. I'm constantly reinstalling lightroom to get back some semblance of a  reasonable performance level when caches trashing etc doesn't work (but magically the reinstall fixes something) and the programs are just crash happy, work losing disasters.  

I'm really tired of dealing with this and have no intention of upgrading a computer yearly to maintain similar performance levels.  I have programs from other companies doing all AI stuff that works faster than basic functions of photoshop.  

So with all of that said 

a) can I download an older much less bloated version of photoshop so I can perhaps run through the gamut of releases to find out where the adobe code base went to pot? Does anyone who has done so have an idea when exactly photoshop became largely unusable ? 

b) same for lightroom

c) is there any "advanced" setting that isn't "increase cache size" or "check the gpu usage box" or "update your drivers" that anyone can offer? If there's a basic thing or system thing I've probably done it. 

My machine is surface pro 4 i7/16/512 <- as I said older machine but it absolutely shouldn't be lagging like it is and furthermore when layers and masks  are flattened (not into smart object)  it should absolutely reduce the load being placed on the system.  I've given up completely trying to use the pen as it's just functionally impossible with the lag.  

face detection is off in lightroom and it wants 7-8 gigs of ram to run after a two minute startup.   

surely adobe need to focus as much on people who don't upgrade their machines yearly as they do adding some smart object selection at the cost of blowing up the codebase and ruining basic other features. 

I'm sorry for the tone.

I just lost a lot of work on something and it's not the first time.  I have a history in high level tech work aside from photography and my system is absolutely optimised way better than an average users.  Even removing the "Retina display" feature by reducing the resolution to half the dpi doesn't help much.  I have a very hard time believing I'm alone in this recent year and a half train wreck of adobe product usage and frankly if I can't get it sorted out in the next week I'll have to switch away - at which point I don't see coming back after having to learn new programs <- something into which I have zero desire to invest my time when I'd rather be shooting and it would really  set me back to switch to affinity or similar. 

Can we install a streamline photography only version of PHOTOshop? 

I'm working with 20ish mp images and not even going through many layers.  It's insane how simple the stuff I'm running into problems with is. As far as Lightroom- it's just awful and the cc version is even worse performance wise in addition to missing features. He touch interface is laughably bad. 

Imo it's time to spend a year revising code rather than adding features.  I can't be alone thinking we need better performance than another automation tool that makes something 2% easier than it used to be (while keeping the old tool in place) 

Thanks for any help.  I'm very skeptical anything but an older version will work but I'm listening. 

TL;DR photoshop and lightroom are absolute pigs.  I'm a tech expert with a surface pro 4 i7/16/512 who has followed all readily available advice.  Need actual tech help or versions of the programs to install that aren't a bloated work losing disaster not: update drivers, change scratch disk, reinstall windows, etc. Things I'm doing are not complicated or intensive.  

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?