Highlighted

photos opening as a layer

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to  Photoshop and would edit my photo by opening them in Photoshop.  Now when I open a photo it opens as a layer and not a photo. How do I get it back to a photo so I can remove some items?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

photos opening as a layer

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to  Photoshop and would edit my photo by opening them in Photoshop.  Now when I open a photo it opens as a layer and not a photo. How do I get it back to a photo so I can remove some items?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 08, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving from Add-ons forum to Photoshop forum

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the full version of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question was never answered.

So here is the basics.

When you open an image that supports layers you will see a layer. When you open an image that does not support layers like a jpg, then it opens as a background layer. In either case it is always a photo and can be edited with all the tools available to  you.

Just remember if you want to keep any added layers you must save in a format that supports layers like tiff or psd.

Saving as a jpg will merge the layers and give it a white background any place that was transparent.

Another format that is commonly used is png, when supports transparency but does not support layers.

I hope this helps you or any other user wondering that is reading this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2017 0
M5C95 LATEST
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to "File>Scripts>Script Events Manager" and check if you have selected the script "Open Document: Open As Layer.jsx" then deselect it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 0