• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 20.0.0 Crashes in Big Sur with Text tool

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I choose the text tool in Photoshop 20.0.0 with the Big Sur OS installed it crashes immediately. Same issue on both my desk top and laptop.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Photoshop 20.0.0"

Versions below 22.0 have not been tested for compatibility with macOS Big Sur

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-big-sur.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22.0.0 still crashing in Big Sur when trying to open files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replying to myself. For people who just have random computer crashes in Photoshop like I. I've been working with Apple for 13 months now and a simple thing to try is giving photoshop permission to "control your computer" under accessibilty in system preferences. I tried this step about 6 days ago and I've not crashed yet. Weird, longest run to date since initial install. Maybe I will crash again in a few minutes, I keep waiting for it. PTSD I guess. Would be curious to see if anyone else does this process and stops the random crashing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't figure out how to do this? can you help me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying this now, we'll see if it works. I went to system preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Accessibility -> Add photoshop to the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the known issues in Big Sur

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-big-sur.html

Any new issues can be reported to the Photoshop developers here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Anyone figured this out yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the fix: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop.html

This issue almost destroyed me so I'm going around to the threads that I encountered while desperate for a solution to hopefully spare someone else this pain.

Big Sur is a nightmare with fonts for some reason. Either the text preview or the font cache in Photoshop (or both?) are the problem. I'm not sure which because I did the following steps at the same time and went from Photoshop crashing every minute to an actual usable application:

1. Disable type preview by going to Type > Font Preview Size and selecting None.
  2. Reset the Photoshop Font Cache
  3. Delete the System Font Cache

I hope that helps! Good luck everybody!

Also, one important thing I learned after hours of futile troubleshooting and scouring the internet for a solve:

When Photoshop crashes, if you get the dialogue box to send a crash report to Adobe, they're actually useful if you check the second box that says "Allow Adobe to suggest a solution or workaround". I never thought they would actually help because I've never gotten any additional info from sending Apple crash reports, but if there's a known issue, Adobe will actually provide a link to a help document right there - you don't even have to submit your email. That's how I got to the Font Troubleshooting link.

Just a little something I wish I'd known before I wasted hours and hours on this and blew a design presentation >_<

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey 

just wondering if you had anymore crashes since posting this post?

thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually haven't!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good to hear 

what Mac do you have?

i have a 2017 256gb 8gb ram 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My poor old baby was struggling with the Big Sur update.

• MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
  • 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

• 16 GB Ram

Are you having issues outside of Photoshop? For general performance issues, you can try resetting PRAM/NVRAM & SMC and also check your Spotlight settings under System Preferences > Spotlight - the less you're searching, the better. Doing those things sped my system up considerably, but I've still been getting more pinwheels than usual since the update.

I also started a completely new admin user account which was a bit of a nuclear solution, but it got Photoshop working before the crash report docs helped me pinpoint the font issue.

Good luck!

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hundreds of times. HUNDREDS!!!! I use photoshop 60+ hours a week.

Be Safe!

Sincerely,

Sandy

[Email, office phone, cell phone, Instagram, website, LinkedIn, Facebook, and BÄ“hance links removed by moderator from this public website.]

This electronic message and any attachment may contain confidential and
privileged information belonging to Sandy DeWitt Photography, LLC, the
sender or intended recipient. This information is intended only for the use
of the persons or entities named therein. If you are not the intended
recipient or the agent or employee responsible to deliver this message to
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, use, distribution, or taking of any action in reliance on the
contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this transmission in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply
email and delete this message from your system. Thank you for your
cooperation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG thank you to the bot or human who removed my signature info!!! I was in a slight panic. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, @sandraprint â€” it was me! 😊 You have to watch email replies with automatic signatures, but moderators can edit posts. We try to watch, but if we miss it, you can ask us.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for posting, Chris. Haven't done the suggested font clean up yet but at least my ps isn't crashing 10 seconds in!

So grateful, rgds Beth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a fairly fresh install of Big Sur on a new iMac with a fresh install of Photoshop 2021. I get unexpected crash as well. I have Adobe Creative Suite as well as Microsoft Office on my Mac. Nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@steveSpeer wrote:

When I choose the text tool in Photoshop 20.0.0 with the Big Sur OS installed it crashes immediately.

Hi Steve,

This issue was fixed for Big Sur in 21.1.1. Please update from 20.0.0.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-211-files-with-fontstype-in-them-ke...

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines