Photoshop 2019 / 2020 on Windows laptop lagging - no CPU or Memory overuse - wacom cintiq

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching tools, ctrl-z, zooming, using the click-drag for the hand tool (shifting the canvas), and using the eraser tool causes Photoshop to lag and sometimes to freeze. Brush tool usually works fine but sometimes has some lag if I have just done one of the items above. This has been happening since I switched to a new laptop and started using it with an old Wacom Cintiq (approx 10 years old).

Laptop specs:

Processor: IntelCore i7-8850H CPU @2.60GHz 2.59 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 32.0 GB (31.6 GB usable)

475GB SSD with 163GB free

When I check the CPU and Memory usage while I'm using Photoshop, the CPU usage never goes over 5% and the memory usage never goes over 22% even though Photoshop is lagging and freezing. Plus, I have recently noticed that there is a difference between using the trackpad and built-in laptop keyboard versus the cintiq and a USB keyboard.

It's a new Lenovo Thinkpad P52, so it should be able to handle Photoshop. It handles Premiere just fine. I'm using it with a Wacom Cintiq 12WX (DTZ 1200w), sometimes an old Wacom Bamboo as well. Does multi-Wacom use cause problems? Or the age of the wacom? It does not have problems with other programs (e.g., it works fine on Premiere).

I also create and use most of my files within a Dropbox folder, but Dropbox should only interfere with saving -- and the files never have problems saving.

I'm at a lost! I've tried reseting the preferences, unchecking "use graphics processor", checking it again, letting photoshop use more RAM, increasing the cache levels, decreasing the cache levels, decreasing the history states... I'm not sure what else to do!!

Any tips or advice??

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the performance issues with Photoshop on your Windows computer.

Would you mind confirming if you experience the lag while using the the trackpad and keyboard of your laptop as well or is that noticeably faster? The age of the Wacom tablet should not have a major impact on the performance nor should using multiple tablets unless the Wacom drivers are outdated. You can try to install the latest drivers for the Wacom tablets and check if that helps. It might help to perform a clean up of the Wacom drivers and install them from scratch.

You can also check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Regards,

Nikunj

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem with the brush tool lagging or completely freezing after switching between tools with Photoshop 21.2.6. The only workaround I've found is to close the image and reopen (I don't have to reboot PS), which is really slowing me down.

I am running a new machine with:

Intel CORE i7-10700 CPU 2.9GHz (4.8GHz turbo)

500 GB SSD

Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030/PCIe/SSE2

16GB Ram

Cintiq HD 22 Touch

I've updated Windows, removed and reinstalled Wacom driver, removed and reinstalled Photoshop (I started with the most recent version of PS and had even more problems), and disabled Windows Ink, but nothing has helped.

It is drastically adding to my work time.

I'd greatly appreciate any help as well.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines