• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2019 and 2020 laggy and stuttering on Windows 10

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a decent photo editing rig. I got an Intel Core i7 6700 with 32 gigs of RAM, with Win10 Pro v1903 and Photoshop booting from a 480gb SATA SSD (which also works as the primary scratch disk and is not full), and to top it off I have a GTX1060 with 3 gigs of RAM for hardware acceleration. All of this should be quite enough for Photoshop, and I had no problems working with the program on lower specs at work...
Until I bought Photoshop 2019 and 2020 for my home studio...

And my workflow slowed down to a crawl.

Here are a couple of examples.

Working with layers that move relatively fast (for example some backdrop moving horizontally in a simple linear fashion) is an experience that can be best described as stuttering; the movement is uneven. This applies not only to internal playback but also to the end result, exported files (h.264 mp4).

3D objects and video clips experience freezes and lags. When I try to produce a moving image with more than two layers, the initial render is usually very slow - meaning whenever I try to play the timeline (and the colored line over the timeline appears for the first time), the first playback is very slow.

3D in general slowed down to a crawl. Any sophisticated geometry is now impossible to manipulate, best I can manage now is a 3D text sign, with no textures all light sources. When rendering 3D I have to set the render quality to 3, because with quality 4 or 5 the process takes forever - even if we are talking about that simple sign.

Not about animation and 3D: More often than not, taking a sample for clone stamp or healing brush also lags - even if it works correctly, making a show of grabbing a sample promptly and immediately using it (as it should be during common retouch workflow), it actually fails and grabs a sample from where the clone should be going, resulting in wasted time and effort. I have to wait about a second for the program to actually register the sample picking point and only then I can click on a new place to apply it. Adobe Supp has advised me to use Premiere Pro for video and animation )))

Rendering a clipping pass preview in the mask editing window takes forever. Mostly I use the button for masking hair and fur; if I press it to mask an object, preview takes a very long time to build, forcing me to wait three to four seconds - after EACH click of the brush.

Turning on the old compositing engine helps somewhat, but I did not buy it for using old.

In my experience at work, Photoshop was always snappy and responsive. I’ve been using it since professionally since Ps 5.0 (in 1998)))) and there were no problems until CC2019, but now it’s laggy. 
To be honest, the last non-problem version was CS6 🙂 But since CC2019 it's got worse... 
Sometimes, some functions can randomly decide stop working for no reason. If this happens, the only way to fix it is restart.

Bottom line, I have expensive hardware for professional software… so I cannot understand or even begin to fathom why this is happening. As of yet, Adobe support staff has been unable to help me (the case is not even escalated to somebody who knows anything apart from a tech support script)... so, any advice, software, hardware, whatever, would be more than welcome at this point.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the experience with Photoshop on your Windows 10 machine.

Please ensure that all available Windows updates are installed on the computer along with the latest drivers for your GTX1060 directly from the manufacturers website. You can also check to ensure that your computer has the latest BIOS updates available installed.

In Photoshop, please go to the Preferences, then Performance and increase the RAM usage to around 75%, change the Cache Level to 2 and the Cache tile size to 128k. Check the option for Legacy Compositing, then quit and relaunch Photoshop to check if your observe any difference in performance. 

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akmost everything you describe here is GPU-resident. 3D certainly, and Select and Mask uses OpenCL, which is executed in the GPU. The new compositing engine is also run in the GPU.

In other words, this must be a buggy video driver. Try to update (or roll back if a previous version worked better). Go directly to nVidia. They recently split their GeForce drivers into two branches: "Game ready" and "Studio". So what I'd do is completely uninstall your present driver and install the Studio version.

Buggy video drivers has been the curse of Photoshop ever since OpenGL was first introduced back in CS4. The reason (or so I suspect) is that drivers are primarily released to satisfy the gamers. So they have to cut corners to get the latest games to run, and if that introduces bugs elsewhere, they fix those much later. Games is their primary market and what puts food on the table at nVidia and AMD. I can't imagine the gaming community is very preoccupied with "correct protocol". Get the thing to run, that's the main thing.

That's why the new studio line of drivers is such a welcome development. Previously you had to get a much more expensive Quadro card to get something you could rely on (which btw is still the safest bet). Hopefully AMD will follow nVidia's example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Thank you so much! It's the first worthwhile answer for a long time! You're returning me the Hope! 🙂
I will try it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And... I've tried. I reinstalled the driver from ordinary to Studio ver. At first sight - nothing has changed...(( Alas!
So, I'm going to test it in different modes, but it seems that there is the same situation with 3D and animation as before...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, i'm experiencing the same issue since a few days, photoshop, indesign and lightroom are laggy/stuttering, it can clearly be seen on the mouth pointer (cursor). It's not fluid.

I juste updated my GPU drivers but nothign has changed (the problem was here before the todfay gpu driver update)

I'll try to post a vidéo of the issue !

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines