Highlighted

Photoshop 2019 crop locked ratio

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to freeform crop, the aspect ratio is locked, I tried holding down shift, ctrl, or alt but it's still locked.

I went to crop options, it doesn't have a freeform or no restriction option.

Only way I can freeform crop now is select with marquee then crop....PLEASE help!

Correct answer by JamesHHL | Community Beginner

I don't have the problem anymore, during initial PS 2019 install the crop default to "Original Ratio". Thus I couldn't freeform transform the crop even holding down shift.  Just had to change it to "Ratio" and everything work as it should now.

PS2019-Original-Ratio-Crop.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop 2019 crop locked ratio

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to freeform crop, the aspect ratio is locked, I tried holding down shift, ctrl, or alt but it's still locked.

I went to crop options, it doesn't have a freeform or no restriction option.

Only way I can freeform crop now is select with marquee then crop....PLEASE help!

Correct answer by JamesHHL | Community Beginner

I don't have the problem anymore, during initial PS 2019 install the crop default to "Original Ratio". Thus I couldn't freeform transform the crop even holding down shift.  Just had to change it to "Ratio" and everything work as it should now.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the same for me since updating to 2019...

But you can ignore the original ratio IF you hold down shift AFTER you've begun moving one of the box's sides/corners.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you attempted to reset the Crop Tool?  see attachedtool reset.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it. Made no difference

I've ditched 2019 and am using 2018 again. Everything works as expected there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to Camera RAW, or images inside Photoshop?

If the latter, do you have any values in the crop fields?

If yes, click on clear

If those fields are empty, and you still have this issue, can you confirm you are talking about the normal Crop tool, and not the Perspective Crop tool?

A screenshot  of your workspace might help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also just hit the Clear button off to the right of the ratio and it will work fine as well. And its easier than doing the drop down menu to change from Original Ratio to just ratio

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are my settings:

I've pressed "clear" a thousand times. Switched between "ratio" and all the other options. It still won't break the original ratio when I try to resize.

Went back to 2018 using the same settings. Works as expected there. Is my 2019 corrupt or something? Because this is not the only bug in that version.

EDIT: some more things I've tried:

Resetting Photoshop's preferences

Resetting the crop tool

I'm on Windows 7 64bit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue in PS 2019 - normal crop tool locked into a ratio.  Thank you for pointing out the "shift after moving a corner" fix.  However in the work I do I am rarely cropping to a fixed ratio.  Is there a way to make free form cropping the default in PS 2019, i.e. the same as it was in PS 2018?

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thomaspalmer22  skrev

However in the work I do I am rarely cropping to a fixed ratio.

Yeah, same here. It annoyed me so much that I reverted back to 2018...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So did I. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried crop option "Ratio"

This is freeform crop, and only lock ratio if you hold down "shift" for me, basically PS2018.

PS2019-Crop.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can do that initially, now grab one of those anchors, say the one on the right middle, and drag it to the right - what happens? I want it to only drag the crop further right, but it is also moving the top and bottom in proportion to whatever the ratio happens to be from my first attempt at cropping.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can drag any anchor points, top/bottom/left/right/corners and they free transform for me when it's on "Ratio" crop setting. It only lock ratio when Shift is held down......Which ps2019 version are you running, I'm on ver 20.0.1. Not sure if that make any difference.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I was using classic mode, if I turn that off then I can do it.

Thanks for replying that you could do it!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines