• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2019 crop locked ratio

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to freeform crop, the aspect ratio is locked, I tried holding down shift, ctrl, or alt but it's still locked.

I went to crop options, it doesn't have a freeform or no restriction option.

Only way I can freeform crop now is select with marquee then crop....PLEASE help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

I don't have the problem anymore, during initial PS 2019 install the crop default to "Original Ratio". Thus I couldn't freeform transform the crop even holding down shift.  Just had to change it to "Ratio" and everything work as it should now.

PS2019-Original-Ratio-Crop.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the same for me since updating to 2019...

But you can ignore the original ratio IF you hold down shift AFTER you've begun moving one of the box's sides/corners.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you attempted to reset the Crop Tool?  see attachedtool reset.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it. Made no difference

I've ditched 2019 and am using 2018 again. Everything works as expected there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to Camera RAW, or images inside Photoshop?

If the latter, do you have any values in the crop fields?

If yes, click on clear

If those fields are empty, and you still have this issue, can you confirm you are talking about the normal Crop tool, and not the Perspective Crop tool?

A screenshot  of your workspace might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the problem anymore, during initial PS 2019 install the crop default to "Original Ratio". Thus I couldn't freeform transform the crop even holding down shift.  Just had to change it to "Ratio" and everything work as it should now.

PS2019-Original-Ratio-Crop.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also just hit the Clear button off to the right of the ratio and it will work fine as well. And its easier than doing the drop down menu to change from Original Ratio to just ratio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That all seems good but no button works anywhere in photoshop. The ursor is locked in the crop modes but no way to get out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! The "Clear" button gave me unconstrained cropping once more.  I'm using CC ver 22 presently and not having freeform cropping was frustrating up to now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clear works!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are my settings:

I've pressed "clear" a thousand times. Switched between "ratio" and all the other options. It still won't break the original ratio when I try to resize.

Went back to 2018 using the same settings. Works as expected there. Is my 2019 corrupt or something? Because this is not the only bug in that version.

EDIT: some more things I've tried:

Resetting Photoshop's preferences

Resetting the crop tool

I'm on Windows 7 64bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue in PS 2019 - normal crop tool locked into a ratio.  Thank you for pointing out the "shift after moving a corner" fix.  However in the work I do I am rarely cropping to a fixed ratio.  Is there a way to make free form cropping the default in PS 2019, i.e. the same as it was in PS 2018?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thomaspalmer22  skrev

However in the work I do I am rarely cropping to a fixed ratio.

Yeah, same here. It annoyed me so much that I reverted back to 2018...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So did I. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried crop option "Ratio"

This is freeform crop, and only lock ratio if you hold down "shift" for me, basically PS2018.

PS2019-Crop.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can do that initially, now grab one of those anchors, say the one on the right middle, and drag it to the right - what happens? I want it to only drag the crop further right, but it is also moving the top and bottom in proportion to whatever the ratio happens to be from my first attempt at cropping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can drag any anchor points, top/bottom/left/right/corners and they free transform for me when it's on "Ratio" crop setting. It only lock ratio when Shift is held down......Which ps2019 version are you running, I'm on ver 20.0.1. Not sure if that make any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I was using classic mode, if I turn that off then I can do it.

Thanks for replying that you could do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can free crop initially, but when I go to modify the crop by dragging it down or left or whatever, it is expanding proportionally to whatever the ratio I cropped was - I don't want that, I want to freely crop by dragging one slider and not have the other dimension change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why in god's name would they arbitrarily reverse the behavior ("shift for freeform" versus "shift for proportional") in so-called 'Classic Mode'. One would think the point of 'Classic Mode' is that it would be, you know, "the way it's always worked".

I've been PS'ing for close to 20 years and this change bites me nearly every time. Now I have to switch to non-Classic mode and remember why I didn't like it in the first place...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 100 percent.

Why, Adobe? What was the reason for this decision? I'm still using 2018 and won't be upgrading anytime soon, simply because of this BS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also agree. What a stupid thing to do...

I'd been scratching my head about this problem for a while now before I read this thread. Surely the whole idea of clicking "Clear" is to clear any settings including aspect ratio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why reverse it? Because it makes significantly more sense to have the way people crop or transform the most often (proportional) be the non-modified function, and use the modifier for the less commonly used function. And seriously, is it that big a deal that people are up in arms, refusing to upgrade and having a hissy fit about it? They put everything into the preferences panel for you to turn it back the other way for pretty much everything. And seriously, go watch a flippin tutorial about the changes to the new versions before installing to help cut down on the psycho-drama about changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could at least have provided us with where the setting is..? Instead you chose to come across as an arrogant pr!ck. Spare us your psycho-drama please

Good for you that you feel this crop behavior makes more sense for your workflow. But obviously we don't all agree with you, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines