Highlighted

Photoshop 2020, 21.0.2, AutoRecover not functioning

Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've crashed this version of Photoshop several times, but this post isn't about that.  It's about AutoRecover, which seems to be missing / not functioning.

I went looking for it when restarting Photoshop after a crash failed to bring back any of my work.

In Windows 10, 'Edit' -> 'Preferences' -> 'File Handling' is checked to Automatically Save Recovery Information (every 5 minutes).

But when I went to C:\Users\[my name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\ there was no AutoRecover folder (there is one for previous versions of Photoshop, in their respective folders).  Just in case that was the bug, I created the folder.  Still no luck.  Nothing is being saved there, so after a crash all work is gone.

Note that I'm entering Photoshop from Lightroom ('Edit In' -> Photoshop), if that has anything to do with the failure to backup work.

Is there something different about how Photoshop 2020 is handling recovery info?  Or is this just a bug?

Topics

Bug, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop 2020, 21.0.2, AutoRecover not functioning

Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've crashed this version of Photoshop several times, but this post isn't about that.  It's about AutoRecover, which seems to be missing / not functioning.

I went looking for it when restarting Photoshop after a crash failed to bring back any of my work.

In Windows 10, 'Edit' -> 'Preferences' -> 'File Handling' is checked to Automatically Save Recovery Information (every 5 minutes).

But when I went to C:\Users\[my name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\ there was no AutoRecover folder (there is one for previous versions of Photoshop, in their respective folders).  Just in case that was the bug, I created the folder.  Still no luck.  Nothing is being saved there, so after a crash all work is gone.

Note that I'm entering Photoshop from Lightroom ('Edit In' -> Photoshop), if that has anything to do with the failure to backup work.

Is there something different about how Photoshop 2020 is handling recovery info?  Or is this just a bug?

Topics

Bug, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping....  Can anyone confirm that AutoRecover is working (and how)?  Or that its not?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've the same, autorecover doesn't work anymore! I use ACR, then Photoshop. When I try to save the result, 1 out of 10 times, Photoshop will not respons anymore. I have to shop the program and after the restart there will be no recovery available!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me!! Also my files don't save.. i had to restart my photoshop and all my progress was gone.

My files always stop saving around 94%... this is incredibly annoying

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same boat. AutoRecovery isn't working. I check all my settings, and it should. Hoping for a fix soon!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its been 6 months, and there's obviously been no suggestions on how to fix this.  So a couple additional comments:

• This is still an issue.  The power went out last night and shut down my computer.  All the images active in the workspace were lost.  No autorecover took place. 
  • I'm now on version 21.2.0.  No improvement.
  • Other threads on this have discussed that 'autorecover' only starts to work AFTER an image has been saved one time.  Ignoring the fact that that, if true, is completely different than any other software and ought to be clearly spelled out in the preferences, how does that work when Photoshop is invoked from Lightroom???
    • I have a raw file in lightroom, that is brought into Photoshop with the "Edit a copy with LR adjustments".  So there must be a tempoary file created someplace....
    • Within Photoshop, normal workflow is to do edits, and then close the image, at which point LR shows the new tif file.
    • So how is some sort of temporary save supposed to be done to trick the autosave feature to start working?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Have you found a solution?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't found an answer, and suspect there isn't one.  But I am surprised, with the number of experienced users that traffic the forum, no one has bothered to explain / confirm.

There's also another thread, https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/21-0-0-where-has-autorecover-gone/m-p/10720147?page=1#M2756... that has a similar level of non-response.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines