• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 21.0.2 beach ball

Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently "upgraded" to the latest version of Photoshop and am appalled at its pathetic performance. Virtually everything I do in Photoshop now results in a few seconds delay as the spinning beach ball icon appears. I'm working with small JPEG images less than 2MB in size, yet even if there are no documents open, simply clicking the Photoshop menu to check the version number causes a pause.

This is infuriating. I'm running the very latest version on a brand new MacBook Pro 16" with 16GB of RAM and 1TB SSD.

Please tell me there is a simple solution such as changing a preference setting or trashing a cache file somewhere.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem and I contacted support chat.  They remoted in to my laptop and changed some settings and it now works in that respect.  However, I'm having multiple problems in my color space etc. so I too am super unhappy with the adobe 2020 update which pretty much tanked my business over the holiday season.  Thanks for nothin' Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem as OP since upgrading. I have reset the preferences several times, uninstalled and reinstalled PS. It works fine for half a day, then the spinning BB appears, and stays longer and longer. Closing and restarting PS and the computer does not help. I want to go back to 2019, but can't figure out how. This is extremely time-consuming and frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same issue. It may only be for a moment, but I'm finding that I'm getting the beachball at every task. It doesn't seem to matter what it is either. It's only been happening since the last update. Adobe need to sort this out pronto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried several of the "solutions" suggested here and in other threads, all without success. I don't have time for this nonsense, so I downgraded to Photoshop CC 2019 and all the beach ball problems disappeared. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled .02, and installed .01. So far, so good. If the beach ball comes back, I'll uninstall .01, and revert to 2019. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here, very annoying.

downgrading to 21.0.1 solved the issue so far. 

BUT BE CAREFUL: save all your settings, presets, shortcuts, etc. before downgrading. it wont ask you if you want to keep them (as it does when upgrading), so all of this was gone for me, lost for ever – thanks adobe, great job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For 2 seconds I was happy the cause wasn't that I'm using a 2009 Mac Pro... Was hoping .03 would fix this, but no. Anyway, reverting to .01 got rid of the bb. Don't really enjoy the thought of having to find out the hard way (up-and-downdating) when this will be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. So far only once or twice a day. I first thought it might be where I had my scratch disk set so I tried a more recent external drive with a lot more free space connected by lightning cable and no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi people!
Same issue here. Do you know of any other solution since this post is 4 months old besides downgrading? 

Thanks -;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just rest all of my preferences (yes I had to go back in a change everything back to normal) but this seemed to have solved it.

I have a feeling that PS imports the prefs from previous versions during install and there is a conflict.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found the "guilty" pref, wich caused the beach ball lag. For me it was the User/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings/MachinePrefs.psp . I deleted it, and the beach ball lag has gone! This way all my settings remained.
Thanks for the tip to chuckszachta for resetting preferences!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Devinitely it worked!

Delete ==> User/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings/MachinePrefs.psp  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Phew! Thanks 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the MachinePrefs.psp and re-opening PS worked for me as well...

User > Library > Preferences > Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings > MachinePrefs.psp

This fixed a problem for me in Photoshop 21.2.6 on my computer (MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6, Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2020) that had never had this problem until the last few days.

Even though this seems like an older post, I wanted to post as of 2021/03/22 the issue/bug still exists but the fix still works too.

Thank you @Domi1974 for this tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jkwarner Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad my solution helped for you. 
I had to do this MachinePrefs.psp deleting two times already since the original post as Photoshop updates kept coming: new update -> delete MachinePrefs.psp again. Fortunately it still works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Domi1974 That's good AND bad to know. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the spinning beach ball every time I use the transform tool. Also now I'm dealing with the whole canvas showing a solid dark gray until I zoom in or out. WTF is this garbage update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also reset my prefrences and it seems to have helped rid the beachball of doom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Powerful Macbook Pro. No issues with any other software. The only change that I made was to (dumb I know) upgrade to the latest version of Photoshop... Isn't that meant to be a good thing?

This is beyond frustrating. I have lost hours of time trying to resolve this while making excuses to my clients because their deadlines don't care that my software has stopped working.

I have tried resetting preferences and downgrading one by one to each of the available previous versions. They now seem to have all inherited this issue.

Adobe, please fix this immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am also getting increasingly frustrated with photoshop. Eveytime I boot up PS and start clicking I get the beach ball. Actually just started happening with 23.4.2. And why in the heck do the keep changing the tools?? Been a user since ver 2.5. Last week I started using Pixler/e everytime PS beach balls on me, Most of what I need is there not a complete replacement YET but, I suggest check it it out. It will save you from the beach ball.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines