• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 backwards compatibility

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I need to find out how to save artwork back to Legacy and beyond. In my workplace, I'm the only person on 2020 and people keep complaining, thus making my job stressful as I'm wasting time trying to find a workaround. please help. Illustrator is simple but I can't figure out how to with Photoshop 2020

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• What exactly are your co-workers complaining about? 
  • What file types are you giving them?   JPG, PNG and TIFF are standard files.
  • Which version of Photoshop do they use? 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I've finished a job, Logo design, magazine spread, billboard etc, I upload my files to our work server along with the print files then I move on. Every now and then if I am out of the office and something needs to be changed or whatnot, they can't access certain elements in the layouts as they mainly all well, in fact, I think all of them are using CS6. I am the only Qualified graphic designer in our studio so it does land on my shoulders but when I've left or taken a break they are stuck. 

They only have access to my .ai .psd .indd or .pdf files which are all created in 2020 but specifically the boss wants to be able to alter my photoshop files if he needs to but my vector elements don't open as vector on his CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does not support vector file formats like .AI and .SVG files They may be imported into Photoshop as a single raster layer or Placed in to documents as vector smart object layers. However, there are no vectors in Photoshop. When you transform a vector smart object layer  Photoshop mores or less created a resized smart object layer by importing the vector file scaled to the size required.

Adobe Photoshop supported file formats 

They need Illustrator for proper .AI and .SVG file support.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJ, I'm sure the OP (Original Poster) understands that AI is made to edit vectors, he means that the layers having (vector) Shapes, custom shapes would not open in CS6 and prior.

If you print a vector shape or a font on a Postscript printer, its resolution will depend on the printer's, therefore, we can accept the fact that there can be vector data in a Photoshop document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just read what the OP wrote  "They only have access to my .ai .psd .indd or .pdf files which are all created in 2020 but specifically the boss wants to be able to alter my photoshop files if he needs to but my vector elements don't open as vector on his CS6".  I'm sure the OP  know their vector .ai files were not created on Photoshop 2020. I was just stating that their .ai files are not supported by Photoshop any version that there would be no vectors in Photoshop even if them placed in their .ai files as vector smart objects.  Smart Object layers are not vector layers even those Adobe call vector smart objects.

Photoshop PSD, Photoshop PDF file would have vectors opened in Photoshop. Though Acrobat PDF file would not have vectors for pages and images imported via Import PDF. Illustrator .ai files are also opened in Photoshop via Import PDF

image.pngimage.png

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Creative Cloud they can install 2020 alongside 2019 at no extra cost except disk space. You can do likewise, install 2019 to keep on the same page.

If your workfiles are PSD, "Maximise Compatibility" in Preferences > File Handling is another solution. Here's what it does:

Is There Any Point In Maximizing Compatibility In Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to feel for a boss using CS6... I'd just move on mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do. CS6 had its issues, but CS was infinitley more stable and a lot let buggy and bloaty than any CC version to date. Not to mention you could purchase it wthout being held to monthly ransom.

Anyway, yeah it just seems like OP is using features which aren't backwards compatible. I would assume by 'vectors' in Photoshop he's referring to either places smart objects (from Illustrator), Photoshop shapes, or even smart objects created from raster layers within Phtooshop, which I have found aren't even backwards compatible. Not sure there's really much of a work around unfortunately. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shape Layers with Strokes would obviously also not be editable in Photoshop CS6. 

@anthony_svarcbergs , as @gener7 mentioned, the »Maximize Compatibilty« setting matters here. 

Aside from that can you provide one file that proved troublesome when edited with an outdated Photoshop version?

Or at least screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Do you usually use 3D Layers, Shape Layers, Color Lookup Adjustment Layers, …? 

As an aside: Doing »Logo design, magazine spread, billboard« in Photoshop can be problematic, due to the vector issue and bleeds for example. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you’re using new features not even existing in CS6. Did CS6 support the kind of vector you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would strongly advise them to upgrade to the latest version to stop all the problems and ensure everyone can use the features in the latest version to the best of the program's ability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines