• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020: black squares on screen when using the selection & reparation tool

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, 

since a little while (not related to a specific update as much as i know) I have issues when making a selection with the selection or reparation tool in Photoshop CC 2020 (latest version). Find the image attached. Huge parts of my picture area turn black and dissapear again click after click. Just makes it impossible to do decent retouching, it slows down the workflow so much. When I compleatly undo the selection the black area is gone that second too and everything is back to normal. But as soon as a create a new selection, same problem – loaction on picture and size may differ.

My macbook still has ~ 50 GB memory space left, so this shouldnt be the problem. It is also not the case that I have other program running in the background. So I guess the problem must have its routes in Photoshop itself. 
Also: with an older PS Version, CS 6, this does not happen. 

I thank you guys for a possible solution. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Another possible option: Does turning on »Deactivate Native Canvas« (Photoshop > Preferences > Technology Previews) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Photoshop 2020 creates random black patches over the image when you use any of the selection tools.

It seems like an issue with the graphics processor, would you mind checking the steps mentioned in this article https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#DisableGraphicsProcessor and let us know if that helps?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have the same problem, and tried to do what you said but it didn't work. Anything else I can do when using the patch tool? Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have the same problem and I think it is because I am using PS on a laptop with limited graphic capability.  I also cannot use Face Recognition because of the graphics situation so can only use certain parts which is really unfortunate as I am doing more and more composites.  I presume until I get a decent PC which is 100% purely designed for photographers and graphic designers with a really powerful graphics unit I will be stuck with only a handful of functionality.

I also get the issue where if you have more than two layers and you either use zoom or go between layers, the layer you are on pigmentates and the only workaround I have found for this is to turn a layer off and turn it back on again.  A bit clunky but I keep blaming the laptop.

I have an HP Envy which is only two years old and I was told when I purchased it that it would suit me down to the ground, unfortunately I did not know then that I would love composite work so much and would need something twice as powerful...

Tina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I am using a high-end graphics card that can more than carry the load, so that is not the problem. I believe this problem on photoshop's end. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW I was having this exact issue more and more frequently these last few weeks (Trashcan Pro 2013 with adequate specs). I tried the procedure you suggested and it seems to have worked. I had cleared my RAM cache several times using different methods but toggling the options you suggested appears to have solved it for me. Thanks.

JNDGroup • Print Design since '99! + All the fun that goes with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possible option: Does turning on »Deactivate Native Canvas« (Photoshop > Preferences > Technology Previews) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!! This did the trick! And - especially thank you for the the including the pathway directions to find the the Graphic Processor Settings!! I'm still VERY new to photoshop and easily get lost trying to find things!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me as well. Looks like a recurring problem with every new version so I have to write this down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it mostly means that there is an issue between Photoshop's code and your GPU. Is it a recent and powerful one? please post the contents of Photoshop's Help>System Info... menu, so that we get to know your OS, its version, the exact version of Photoshop you are running, the date of the GPU driver, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG that is a lot of text! I'll put it in a text file, online, and post the link overhere if that is ok?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

btw Looks like it only happens when I want to draw on my Wacom Cintiq 16" pro. Not on the main screen. But to make sure: turning on that 'Deactivate native canvas' and reboot, worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that you can attach the txt file with the forum interface. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That Quadro unfortunately does not seem to be very powerful in Open CL...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2023 Jul 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yo. I have the same issue as OP described. Disabling native canvas did not solve it, however disabling graphics processor use did. But, this obviously creates an issue; photoshop is now very slow when working with anything remotely complex due to the lack of hardware acceleration. Is there no other solution to this, that still allows use of hardware acceleration?

Really I should not be having graphics issues with Photoshop as I have an RTX 3050. This is by no means a low-end or outdated card. I am also using Nvidia studio drivers, which are specifically designed for stability (or so they say anyway lol).

Why is this still an issue? Not like I have an obscure card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This info from Adobe may help you I hope:

Pete.Green

Adobe Employee Mar 22, 2023

Hi All,

Apologies for the flashing/strobing you're experiencing when opening files, this tends to affect older graphics cards (GPU) that don't support all of the aspects of DirectX 12.

For Windows:

1. Enable the Older GPU Mode option in Preferences > Technology Previews > “Use Older GPU Mode (pre 2016)"
  2. Check if there's a GPU driver update available and update if so

For macOS:

1. Update to a newer or latest macOS version (to update the GPU driver which accompanies macOS updates)
  2. Uncheck "Automatic graphics switching" found in System Preferences > Battery > Battery

If you're still having issues after trying these troubleshooting steps, the next recommendation would be to look into updating your graphics card (GPU) to something a bit more modern.

Regards,

PG

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/p-photoshop-strobes-black-and-white-w...

neil barstow, colourmanagement net  - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe writing on GPU (video card) issues.

Here are some suggestions from Adobe for GPU issues.

First check the system requirements: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

next:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines