Photoshop 2020 Blank work-space issue: Black Screen

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to open any files or start any new docs in the new update, I had no issues with the previous version and now that I updated I have this plain black screen regardless of what I do? How do I get my art board and images back?Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 4.18.02 pm.png

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Topics

Bug, How to, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shanan,

That shouldn't be happening, let's make it right.

Could you please try resetting the preferences of Photoshop and let us know if it helps

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Note: Make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes and actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. Migrate presets, actions, and settings

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks I tried that but it didn't work so I have just uninstalled the new photoshop and put the older version back in and it's fine now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue. I also just updated to photoshop 2020. On an older iMac running high sierra. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved: Go to Prefrences> Performance> Advance settings> then uncheck 'use graphics processor'

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant I have to say I was getting quite annoyed that nothing would display. Think Adobe could do with having a popup suggesting this when you first open the software after the update and save people a headache!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're the best. Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Thanks immensly, this worked!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ugh thank you sooooo much I was getting so annoyed and was about to reinstall the old version but wanted to check to see if I was the only one having issues!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a bunch, it solved it for me

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You! and thank goodness for this support community! I really get annoyed every time I update, anticipating what changes will mess up my flow...and this saved me. 😃

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, worked for me. Adobe are the masters of putting out a broken product, can't believe it's been 2 months since this was first brought up and me having downloaded 2020 yesterday is not getting a version with a fix.

Thanks for wasting more of my time Adobe, I think I'll be switching soon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You so much! 
Saved my project and timeline 😄 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, but I'd rather like Photoshop to be using my graphics card as it's far more powerful than my processor, so is there a way I can not have the blank screen while being able to use my GPU? Thanks a lot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant thank you! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! xxx

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to track down the specifics that trigger this issue for engineering. For the folks who are disabling the Graphics Processor, what specific version of macOS are you on? What graphics card/model? What is it specific to a certain type of document (artboards?16-bit vs 8bit? Color mode?) The more specific the better. Feel free to post system info (Help > System Info) and a link to a file you're having trouble with.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!!!!!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have also just sorted my problem with this! Thanks so much, you are so helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This right here is the best solution. Thanks! What an annoying issue. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!  

I tried downloading 4 different images of basically the same thing because I thought PS was encountering some encrypted-copyright restriction on the files.  You very well may be my new favorite person.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolute Legend, thank you! 🙌🏾

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are brilliant! Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! Nice, but now that we uncheck this, what was it for?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!  You're a lifesaver!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dude! you're my prophet!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG, I thought I'd to have to spend hours and irritate my tech friends with this problem . . phew, worked like magic.. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffery. I just bought a new Macbook Air 2020 with every single upgrade possible. And updated Photoshop today just shows black documents unless you turn of graphics processor. Is that expected? BTW, I worked on Acrobat for many years so hope Adobe is treating you well! Allan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would expect that to work. Let me shoot you a private message so I can get specific system info from Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell if my problem is the same as everyone's problem here but what's happening to me is my documents are blank everytime PS gets focus. So if I flip off of PS to another program and then back to PS the docuement is blank. Lots of clicks bring it back. Some of the toolbar icons (not all). Hiding or unhiding guides. One you click something the image appears. Quite annoying. Yes I've restarted both PS and my computer. I have 16 gigs ram. Doesn't have to be large file. Thanks in advance! - Blu

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 9.07.20 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue! As soon as I click off Photoshop to access another program this happens. Have to hide/unhide a layer to get everything back 😕

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
josh19 LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This is exactly what's happening to me. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check on "Legacy Composting" in Performance > Preferences

Sometimes the new compositing engine doesn't work too well on some systems and you see that blank screen as a result.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This corrected that issue for me.  I was setting up a new MacBook with Catalina and was getting frustrated that problems would arise after finally moving on from an older (and now slower) MacBook. Thank you for posting!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the solution that worked for me too.
Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences and reset your Interface Color Theme to clear or white, whatever is the last one on the right.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me - MacBook Pro 2015 running High Sierra (10.13.6) with 16MB RAM and Intel Iris Graphics 6100 GPU.  I was using Photoshop CC 2018 prior to upgrading to Photoshop 2020 (Feb release).

Also, after clicking the lightest theme, I was able to go back to a darker theme and everything remained visible.  Best part is that the I was able to retain the GPU acceleration (including advanced).

A note to Adobe engineering - this seems like a first-time initialization problem after a new installation or upgrade from CC 2018 (don't know about 2019 - I skipped this release) to 2020.  This is a poor "first impression" experience of a new version - suggest figuring this one out soon if you want users to migrate to 2020.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seconding this as a solution. On a brand new 16" Macbook Pro running Catalina 10.15.2. Was able to revert to original theme and all worked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying toggling between these appearance options fixed it for you?

interfaceColor.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes! it works for me. i use dark mode and i change it to auto, i tried opening it and it work normally. i tried closing the program and change it back to dark mode and it still work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. It usually occures when I open a second file or project and then go back to the original I opened. I then have to try to save my progress and shut down PS then reopen it.

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 4.14.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-24 at 11.33.22 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked. Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines