• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 canvas "freezes" and remains on screen on Windows

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I began noticing an issue where a portion of my canvas freezes when I zoom in, and remains stuck on the screen. I can move the canvas normally, the stuck portion can't be interacted with, and if I move the canvas, it goes underneath the frozen portion.

I've updated to the latest version, made sure my drivers are up to date, and the issue doesn't seem to appear with any other programs, drawing or otherwise. Just on Photoshop. Closing the program removes the frozen portion, so does dragging Photoshop from my Cintiq to my main screen. 

I attached a file with an example of how it looks like, you can see the frozen canvas portion on the left side next to the toolbar. 

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Hi there,

We are sorry about the exprience with Photoshop. 

Would you mind going to the "Preferences" of Photoshop, then "Performance" and uncheck the option to "Use Graphics Processor"? Once done, quit and relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps.

Also, please uninstall and re-install the latest drivers for your Wacom Cintiq tablet and the graphics card (from the manufacturers website). Then restart the computer to check if that makes any difference.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

It appears that reinstalling both Wacom Cintiq and GPU drivers fixed the issue for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no correct answer posted here even though it says so. Ive posted already here but im fed up. (Mac user, late 2013 model). Had the problem for a while. Reported it multiple times. Getting a little tired of Photoshop and Adobe to be honest. Just today I am trying to cut out an image (very small file) and every minute or so it crashes after repoening the file. I thought it was from zooming and dragging at first but since today just dragging the screen around seems to make it happen and on a frequent basis. Turning off graphics card isn't a cure as it still happens and should never be a cure as its horrible to work in with it deactivated. Is Adobe working on a an update to fix this currently as I have friends with the same issues so its wide spread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem, too.
Has anyone worked it out?
While using the space tool, only files that were being worked suddenly appear to be freezing.
Photoshop is in normal operation, but only " the file that was working on " is freezing.
I really want to solve it.
All the parts on which the answer is attached seem to be inappropriate.

help plz..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have messaged the moderator to remove there 'correct' answer and investigate it further. Lets see what happens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets hope something happens I got the same problm for a bit now 😞

Latest OSX and Photoshop version on a Mac Pro late 2013.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the moderator got back to me to tell me that this issue has been solved on this post and that my issue is a seperape one as im on a Mac (its the same issue).

Ive started a new post up here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-freezes-when-zooming-and-dragging-canvas-imac-201...

Ive had no response since posting. Seems they are dogdging a large bullet with this as a lot of my friends (Mac and windows) are having the error as are clearly a lot of people out there so its a major issue. If any one with a Mac wants to post their issue on there hopefully we will get an answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping this conversation because this is still a problem with Photoshop 2020. Using MacOS Catalina 10.15.5, Photoshop 2020 Version 21.2. Turning off graphic processor kills Photoshop and makes it flash grey at me anytime I zoom in/out, change windows, etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue for over a year now. It's ridiculous! Frustrating at best. I can't see how it's Wacom issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes your right its not a wacom issue its a photoshop issue clear as day. As it happens to those who don't use wacom like myself and many many others. Its not a windows or mac issue either as it effects both. We all know it and Adobe knows it. I'm sick of new versions of photoshop being released which just bloat the program further with new features while massive issues that they wont acknowledge make it impossible to use. WHAT ARE WE PAYING FOR???

Anyone know of any decent alternatives to photoshop? I like many others have reached this stage of looking to move on from this issue which unfortunately means moving on from photoshop as I'm tired of trying to find a solution that doesn't exact apart from Adobe fixing there software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you use it for digital art?

For my Surface Book 2, so far nothing can beat the intuitiveness of Leonardo Drawing App. It's a little pricey for something that's still in beta, but I can't do my line work/sketches anywhere else.

For just a desktop setup, I heard good things about - 

• - Clip Paint Studio
  • - Krita
  • - Paint tool SAI

On of them is free, but forgot which one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I having same issue with Photoshop 2020 (21.2.0), see the attachment, it's annoying and wonder that not yet fixed by Adobe!! There was no issue with 2019, unfortunately I uninstalled and not availble prviosue version Creative Cloud Apps too!! Im using Quadro P400.
psissue.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off your Rulers, CMD+R. Was having the same issue and this seemed to help alot.

2017 iMac

4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575 4 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that... Nothing...
Still happening from time to time.  Competely random.
Mostly when usin the pen tool and zooming in and out. 
Happened one or twice with the poligonal lasso tool.
I slows down my workflow so much

Mac Pro 5.1 MID 2012
12 core 2.4GHz
40Gb 1333 DDR3
Radeon Saffire Nitro+ RX580 8Gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its crazy how many of us are having this problem and no solution is available.

Ive started a new post for mac users as this one has accepted a correct answer for a difference system.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-freezes-when-zooming-and-dragging-canvas-imac-201...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been experiencing the same. Every 2-20 minutes, the canvas for whichever file I happen to be working freezes. Photoshop is still active, and I can switch to another tab. Other files I have open will not be affected by this, and I can work on those. To "unfreeze" the working image, I have to close and re-open the file. While not the worst work around, it is still indredibly frustrating and counterproductive. 

PC, Windows 10, PS v. 21.2.2

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone

It seems that disabling the flick panning is the solution.  I just tried and it seems the problem really goes away.

Preferences -> Tools -> Enable Flick Panning (Uncheck it)

Cheers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  It worked now I am able to focus and not panic!  Some many settings get changed with updates.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that and, so far, the problem did not happen again.  I think you nailded it!

Thanks!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked here too thank you! On a windows desktop with pretty good specs and RTX GPU, flick panning seems definilty broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This led me down a bit of a rabbit hole, because even though I didn't know what the "Flick Panning" feature was called, it turns out I used it all the time so just disabling it is not ideal. After investigating more I think this may be yet another bug cause by Windows Ink (which there have been lots of Photoshop bugs related to since 2018).

I found that using the PSUserConfig.txt / UseSystemStylus 0 fix also fixes this issue, without having to disable Flick Panning. (Google "UseSystemStylus 0" and you'll see how to change it. It makes Photoshop use the older WinTab instead of Windows Ink). I'm using a Wacom tablet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strangely, I am not using an tablet for my macpro when using PS.

I think it is a bug in flick panning...

Cheers,

Geoffrey 'Metal' Cheng

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling Flick Panning doesn't work for me, sadly 😞 Disabling the Graphics Processor under Performance is still the only way I can see my entire canvas. If I leave it checked then I'm stuck on the right side of the canvas and unable to edit anything. 

UGH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you a lot, i was struggling with this bug for a year, adobe support made me try everyting ( and have a lot of bizarre excuses, including sending the fault to Apple and Big Sur update) but the community win agains ! Adobe you are horrible but you are the only one 🙂

Sorry for my english im from Argentina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines