• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 canvas "freezes" and remains on screen on Windows

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I began noticing an issue where a portion of my canvas freezes when I zoom in, and remains stuck on the screen. I can move the canvas normally, the stuck portion can't be interacted with, and if I move the canvas, it goes underneath the frozen portion.

I've updated to the latest version, made sure my drivers are up to date, and the issue doesn't seem to appear with any other programs, drawing or otherwise. Just on Photoshop. Closing the program removes the frozen portion, so does dragging Photoshop from my Cintiq to my main screen. 

I attached a file with an example of how it looks like, you can see the frozen canvas portion on the left side next to the toolbar. 

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Hi there,

We are sorry about the exprience with Photoshop. 

Would you mind going to the "Preferences" of Photoshop, then "Performance" and uncheck the option to "Use Graphics Processor"? Once done, quit and relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps.

Also, please uninstall and re-install the latest drivers for your Wacom Cintiq tablet and the graphics card (from the manufacturers website). Then restart the computer to check if that makes any difference.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

It appears that reinstalling both Wacom Cintiq and GPU drivers fixed the issue for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are more helpful then adobe 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, even after an adobe rep updating my software. This stinks. It erased my work on the image because its frozen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your viewport freezes, you can still save the document and just close the document/PS, and reopen it. It should retain all the edits. At least this is what I've noticed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jamiel,

It is a bug in the software, somehow, disabling flick panning solves it.

If you need that feature, might be you need to send them a bug report..

Regards,

Geoffrey 'Metal' Cheng

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you suggested to fix was no help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problem.  My main use for photoshop is photo/portrait editing and so I don't usually have rulers turned on.  Last week I turned them on to help as I created a graphic and my canvas started freezing.  I have a brand new PC with everything up to date and so I was freaking a bit.  After reading these posts (thank you all! It helped to know I wasn't alone or crazy!)  I turned off the rulers and so far so good.  seems to have improved.  there might be multiple issues at play here but wanted to share.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have GTX 2080 TI card and this happens to me all the time.  Happened on my previous machine as well.  It has something to do with Photoshop 22.0, 2020 etc.  Please let me if anyone figures out the solution.  It's been plaguing me for months now.  When zooming, the document freezes.  Thank god I can save and reopen it.  But man it's killing my daily work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me, and seems to have worked for many users, is to disable Flick Panning

Preferences --> Tools --> Disable Flick Panning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have GTX 2060 Super, that doesn't work, disabling flick panning, disabling Animate Zoom, untick Use Graphic Processor, Reinstalling display driver & Photoshop, all of those options are not working for me. When editing the Smart Object content the screen gets freeze.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling Flick Panning seemed to work!  Thank you.  Also make sure in Windows "Power Settings" you're set to High Performance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems this helped me, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've found the real problem, try check off the option "Enable Flick Panning" in Preferences > Tools
That function makes your screen float when using hand tool, but I think because it takes resource of GPU so it cause freeze the display area.

Hope you can fix that.

guide.jpg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution does not work efficiently. Corrects only part of the problem and not in all cases. It is something greater that causes this and until today it has not been corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. To have to work at a professional level without any fix for this is unbearable. I got the latest driver versions. Uninstalled both Photoshop and my drivers and reinstalled them again. I turned off my graphics card in the performance tab. Nothing works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fURA4ZvIuQ a video to a fix 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, no matter wich version of photoshop 2020 im using, always the same problem. You guys literally are forcing me to downloand a pirate version of photoshop 2018. I´ve been paying you for almost 5 years every single month, with all the money we pay you, you should fix this issue INMEDIATELY.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry to hear that...

have you ever tried to disable the flick panning option? Most of us here has tried this method and the problem goes away.

It is enabled by default, you can find in preferences -> tools -> enable flick panning (it is checked by default). Uncheck it and peace comes.

Hope this help..

Geoffrey 'Metal' Cheng

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MetalCheng you ad others who suggest this mean well but your are missing the point. Professional users want to use flick panning, we need it. This is not a solution but should of been a very short way to cope with this issue until it was actually fixed. But it has gone on for over a year now (possibley more for others). It has not only not been fixed but it has also been ignored by Adobe. 

By all means pass this 'fix' around but can each message we all send please protest to Adobe as they are not listening and allowing us to accept turning off an important tool and struggle. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

I absolutely agree and this should be a bug in flick panning to be fixed... they just don't fix it ... 😞

For those who needs this feature Adobe should fix it asap.  I hope some sorts of 'community manager' could realize this bug exists for such a long time and push Adobe to fix it for us.

Geoffrey 'Metal' Cheng

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

I also find this temporarily fix if flick panning is needed on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLvvOQa_hCM

Hope this may help you

Geoffrey 'Metal' Cheng

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out a quick solution for me that is does not stop my work flow

Everytime this thing happens to you, make sure you have HISTORY label in your main panel, because then you can do this fast

Click 3 smallbars, and choose NEW DOCUMENT
Photoshop will open a new windows with the same document you are working on, fully functional. 
Then you close the original one, and the copy, "save it as" overwriting the original
Done.
I know I know, this sucks, but it is the only way i found to refresh photoshop withou closing the program and continue working as usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue.  It freezes when moving, it freezes when zooming and it freezes when cropping!  I have to restart photoshop every time, just closing the image doesn't work.  I can't even retouch 1 image without this happening.  Please provide a permanent fix instead of just putting a band-aid on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Knock-knock from year 2021! This issue is still not fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to Preferences > Tools... and Un-check "Enable Flick Panning" does it behave correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines