Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 closes right after opening

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Title says it all 
i just open my PS and as soon as the interface loads it closes with no error message or anything , it just closes
anyone has an idea on how to solve this ? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may have Photoshop CC 2019.

Try resetting your Photoshop preferences, which you can do under the General tab in Photoshop preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Try resetting your Photoshop preferences, which you can do under the General tab in Photoshop preferences.

Which seems to be difficult since Negui14 told us that PS closes as soon as it is launched.

Negui14, try to press and hold Alt+Ctrl+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac) as you start Photoshop. Maybe PS will have enough time to reset the Preferences before crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you might want to confirm whether you are using the latest version of Photoshop (Photoshop CC 2019, version 20) or Photoshop Elements 2020 (just released, but a different forum).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Photoshop Elements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and found a simple soulution - open Photoshop from a .psd file. It should work ok, than after closing Ps should open again normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bro it does not work for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks a lot. this tip worked for me. PS 2020. It's now opening fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you open it in .psd file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Working. Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved that problem by closing the Creative Cloud and ending all CC tasks from the Task Manager. then reopened it and signed-in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud Experience\CCXProcess.exe , started it, then found CCXProcess in Task Manager, killed it. And it solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: I closed Creative Cloud Desktop directly from the application and then closed CCXPROCESS.EXE. Then it didn't restart. Thanks!

I did that but it did not solve my problem. What should I do? I can see that photoshop is installed in my 'Add or Remove Programs'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something works over here as of May 2020 for Photoshop CC 2020  PC version...

I went to the control panel, then uninstall/repair option and repaired the adobe creative cloud app. then restarted it, and now my PS opens and doesn't close unexpectedly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just Update the Creative Cloud app. It works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, after weeks of opening my PS and as soon as the interface loads it closes with no error message or anything. I found that first uninstall all adobe aplications, run the Adobe Cleaner Tool, do a general search for ADOBE and delete, then open keychain (MAC) do another Adobe search in passwords and delete. Reinstall and it should work. FYI, you might skip to Keychain first and see if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same problem, but I solved it in very different way from wha I have seen here. It's a very simple solution but it took me a while to figure it out. So much for feeling superior 😄

Also it may not be what causes your problems and to be perfectly honest I'm still not 100% sure it is what actually caused mine, but everything works perfectly now so it might be worth looking into. And by the way; I'm not a system engineer or anything so I'm just trying to decribe things in sort of layman terms, i. e. the best way I can.

Possible cause:
Too many folders down in the folder hierarchy combined with too many characters in the file and folder names = some of the search ways (strings) for some the files deep down became too long to be processed by the system (and Adobe).

Solution (only in the case as described above):
Shorten the search ways by relocating files and folders from deep down in a folder hierarchy and/or files with exceptionally long file names and move them to a new storage folder directly under the root of the disk.

Symptoms & Background:
When I clicked the "Open" button from the Photoshop CC home screen the open file window would appear as frozen, and then Photoshop just closed down completely without any error messages or anything. There is a workaround by opening immage files from Bridge or Windows Explorer, but still...

It all came to it's fruition when I was browsing an old project stowed away in a storage folder several folder layers down in Windows Explorer, when Explorer unexpectedly was shut down when I tried to open one specific folder. No warnings, no error messages, just completely shut down. I created a new storage folder directly under the disk root and moved all the project folders, and the failing folder opened. I did the same thing with all the other deep down storage folders and everthing has worked  prefectly ever since!

I'm not sure exactly how many folders down you can go and how long the search way strings can be (including the character length of all the folders from disk root to bottom and the file names put together) before the system cracks up, but obviously there is a limit.

Good luck!
Stargazer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply repair the Adobe creative app from control panel. After that restart it. It will work fine and will not close unexpectedly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Simply repair the Adobe creative app from control panel. After that restart it. It will work fine and will not close unexpectedly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines