• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 Crashes when I minimise another program ie. bridge, illustrator, anything

Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting really frustrated with Photoshop since I upgraded recently.  I have never ever had a problem like this in all the years I have been using Photoshop.  I'm not sure what else to do? 

I get forever spinning ball, whenever I open another program ie. Bridge when working in photoshop, my Photoshop crashes as soon as I minimise Bridge or another program.

I'm on MacOS Catalina version 10.15.7

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

processor:  4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory:  32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

I tried to do some troubleshooting which helped a little, but the problem has not been resolved.

I think there is a serious problem with Photoshop?

Its not great!

Anyone have any ideas?

Annette

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Annette,

Sorry to hear about Photoshop crashing. Please go to the System Preferences of macOS, then Security and Privacy & select the Privacy tab. Once there, please select Accessibility from the list on the left and add Photoshop to the list by unlocking the window using the lock icon. Also, grant permissions to Photoshop under Full disk access. Once done, restart the computer and let us know if that helps.

Regards.
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

Thank you for your reply to my message.  I followed your instructions above and restarted my machine, but unfortunately, Photoshop still crashes.  It seems to crash when I'm working on a Photoshop file, and if I decide to launch another programme while working in Photoshop ie. bridge, or I notice with any programme really, it crashes.

I only recently upgraded to adobe cloud products and now paying a monthly subscription. I never had this problem with my old programme CS4.

Any more ideas?

Annette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your Photoshop preferences, which you can do under the General tab in Photoshop preferences.

Let us know if that helps – or not!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help, I had changed my photoshop preference settings, but not working I'm afraid, it still crashes, and now I have updated photoshop to 2021, it's even slower than ever...I'm tearing my hair out at the moment.  I'm not sure if it's my computer or the update.  I have never ever had problems like this before updating everything.  This is making me harder to work...so frustrated.

Thanks anyway for your help, it's nice that you took the time to suggest things.

Annette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're sorry for all the trouble after the latest Photoshop update. Could you please explain your issue in more detail? Also, turn off the GPU from the Photoshop > Preferences > Uncheck GPU > Restart Photoshop.

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Mohit for your reply to my message.

I have now turned uncheck  GPU, so will see if this makes any difference, I will let you know.

The previous version of Photoshop (2020), kept crashing every time I open another programme or minimise a programme ie. Bridge, email you name it, it crashed photoshop.  I changed all my settings, preferences, and it didn't really make much of a difference.

I thought if I upgrade to Photoshop 2021, then my problems might be solved, but instead now I get a seriously slow programme with spinning ball everytime I try to do something.  ie.

When trying to paint,

When viewing the image larger,

Clicking on layers section,

Basically, whenever I try to do anything, I get spinning ball.

I'm also fearful that Photoshop might crash, so I'm backing up my work every 5 minutes which is a pain.

The files I am working on a very large, I design murals, so the designs are wall sizes.

Ever since I updated photoshop from CS4 (which I never had any problems) to the latest Photoshop I have had problems.

This truly affecting my work, things are taking 10 times slower to finish which is frustrating.

I love the new features in Photoshop, but it's costing me time and money. 

I really don't expect this amount of problems, especially when paying a monthly subscription.

If there is anything else you could suggest, or if I could speak to someone on the phone, I will be happy to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines