Highlighted

Photoshop 2020 crashing...alot!

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded yesterday and as long as I do simple tasks like changing a file size I'm good. As soon as I start to get complicated, ie: changing the color in a duotone or adding an effect to a layer, it crashes. I can't get my work done!

Topics

Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop 2020 crashing...alot!

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded yesterday and as long as I do simple tasks like changing a file size I'm good. As soon as I start to get complicated, ie: changing the color in a duotone or adding an effect to a layer, it crashes. I can't get my work done!

Topics

Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 06, 2019 12
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iMac, late 2014 running Catalina (10.15.1)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 1
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 1
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a constant crash issue too but so far it seems just when setting layer styles e.g. stroke, gradient fill etc

I've deleted the preference settings but this has not resolved the problem and have just tried re-installing but this has not resolved it. This is making PS pretty much unusable so any help would be appreciated!

Am running MacOS Catalina 10.15.1 on iMac 2017

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019 7
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same exact problem, which wont let me work on my projects.

I hope they can fix this soon!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019 1
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, going into Layer Style dialog box results in spinning beach ball of death. No way out but a force quit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019 3
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, same issues here...upgrade 2 days ago, PS crash when try to apply overpose color to a file....when try to apply layer style....i've deleted preference too but same thing..

We think is a problem with PS and grahic card, since when try to "uncheck" on preference the use of the Graphic Processor tab  the spinning beach ball of death appears and nned to close by force..

Running MacOS Catalina 10.15.1 on iMac 27" 2017

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there another way to trash the preferences? I can't get the prompt up for some unknown reason.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scratch that...must have been my timing. I got the dialogue box up eventually and deleted the preferences. Unfortunately no improvement on the crashes I'm experiencing. I only upgraded tonight and the very first thing I tried was 'Select Subject' and it crashes every time. Checked my Scratch Disk config and there's over 30gb there...so I'm guessing my scratch disks aren't full. I'm not brilliant with the technical side of things so I'm lost.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am tired of freezing issue in the new version on Mac. Once it crashed and relaunched, it won't open and there is no way to force it to quit but forcing a hard boot. It never happened to me in the past decade. I have some serious work to do, is there anyone there at Adobe responsible for that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 14, 2019 2
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did delete the preferences, but this was of little use,  my MAC never crashed while using Photoshop 2019, but with 2020 it is a disaster,  lots of my work is wasted with sudden hang-up and rebooting of the Mac.  Invariably the system hangs when using Shadows/Highlights command.  Furthermore, I have major issues with Clone stamping and other tools.  I hope Adobe will resolve this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2020 0
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing a pattern of users experiencing the same issues related to color and PS 2020.

Please post your issue to the bug report forums. It is monitored by the PS Team.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family?topic-list[settings][type]=problem 

Kevin Stohlmeyer Adobe Community Professional/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After having upgraded my Creative Cloud applications to V21.0 and V10.0 respectively, my 2019 Macbook Pro will not resolve full screen images or perfrom "Merge to HDR" fuctions.  I have uninstalled bothh updates, and my system operation is back to normal.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019 0
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post this on a new thread so others can respond.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downgraded to previous version. Need to wait until theres a patch for it, it's unuseable for me at the moment on a Macbook Air running Catalina. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2019 5
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I solved a lot of problems with Photoshop (crash, freeze and image not updating) by disabling dark mode for the application...

link for the command line method

https://www.techjunkie.com/exclude-app-dark-mode-macos-mojave/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would apply if you have previously forced it into Dark Mode. This page specifically calls that out:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macosmojave.html#CrashwithonlyDarkMenuBarandDockt... 

"If you've used a terminal command to enable only Dark Menu Bar and Dock in Mojave, this setting can cause Photoshop and other applications to crash. Follow the instructions to revert to Full Mojave Dark Mode on the same page."

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with layers and I don't use dark mode. Thanks anyway

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2020 0