• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 custom tool presets keep resetting to default

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i just update to current PS from PS2019 2 days ago. I work a lot with custom tools preset (especially for type tool). Ever since the upgrade/update, the custom tool keep resetting everytime I exit/restart photoshop. 

While it's not like a huge deal breaker if I do remember to save my presets, it is very annoying to have it keep resetting... not to mention 2020 has crashed twice on me after updating. (and with the crash, come the reset) 

Didn't see any similar topics while I was browsing for solutions, just wondering are there anything I can do to stop photoshop to keep resetting my custom tools when I exit/restart photoshop? This was never a problem until this update.

Edit: Feb 20th '20. After updating photoshop with the Feb update and tested it out several times, I can confirm my presets doesn't reset anymore

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Hello, I suggest to update to V. 21.1 as there is a fix for disappearing tool presets: Photoshop desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ryan,

That seems unexpected, as the custom tools are resetting to default, could you please try resetting the preferences of Photoshop and let us know if it helps? Preferences

Note: Make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes and actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. Migrate presets, actions, and settings

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil, 

I have reset the preferences following the dialogue, then load my custom tools preset and exit photoshop. Upon restarting, it is still reverting back to default. So that doesn't solve my problem. I have also tried loading it from the cogwheel from the actual tool (refer to screenshot) instead of my usual Edit > Preset Manager > Tools. (Both method still see the custom tools reset to default upon exiting and restarting photoshop) 

2019-11-23_205800.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive been having this same problem, ive done a fresh windows install and then installed the new photoshop version (21.0.1) and my tool presets upon loading, keep resetting to default on each restart. Which is odd since i had this version before windows reinstall and had no problem. I even saved these tools from the same version that now has that bug.

But, Ive found a work around for this, atleast it worked for me.

What i did was i uninstalled the new version and installed the old version of photoshop (20.0.7) and then loaded my tools and settings in it, restarted it, and saw the tools and everything worked. Then i installed the new version of photoshop (which is a separate install) and told it to use my old presets and customizations, and lo and behold, upon using the new version, the tools didnt revert back to default on restart. 

So i just uninstalled the old version, and now i can use the new version of Photoshop along with my tools.

Hope this solves your problem as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the slow reply....unfortunately this doesn't work for me either :*( i am still stuck with this annoying bug....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This workaround fixed the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to change/update your tools now? Or are they stuck to the new state again? (sorry about the double post, I thought they were separate replies to different people and I am not sure if I can delete one of them :< )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is, are you able to update or change your tools after this process? Or are they frozen to the new state?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem and its driving me crazy. Adobe your program is BROKEN this is not user error please fix it. I've gone through every thread about this topic and nothing works. Just did a fresh install and the only thing it did was waste my time. I should not have to use an old version when I pay for new versions. I can't believe how little support Adobe actually provides. They've made it literally impossible to report bugs like this directly to them, you just have to hope an employee happens to see the forums??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem when I first updated to V21.0 and spoke to Adobe, the technician was helpful once I showed him what was happening and said it would be fixed in the next update. He didn't said which one!! I'm getting very annoyed now.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also told this would be fixed in 20.1.2. I have done the update and am still being reset to default every time. I'm having to spend an hour loading all my custom brushes and shapes before I can even begin working each day 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is really annoying , i have to change my prefercnes everyt time i opoen phPreviewotoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

** PUSH **

(Sometimes it feels like yelling around stuck in a deep well in the woods...)

Did somebody get response from anyone at Adobe?
This problem is VERY annoying, especially for people who have to work with tools professionally.
Is there any workaround or fix by now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have exact same issue. on both Mac and Windows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same problem at work. And at work, I don't have permissions via Adobe Enterprise to manage my apps, so I can't revert and reinstall as described by @petramhg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me... Seems like Tool Presets are "frozen" to the state they were when I installed 2020. If I change anything they revert upon PS restart. This needs to be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ehm...

Adobe? Is anyone reading this thread?

For the record: we are (professional) customers, and we are paying (real money) for a buggy product. In case this is somehow important for anyone working @ Adobe.

This is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are hardly any of the developers here.
Everyone who has such a problem (and everyone has it absolutely, because this is a bug) write this on this site
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Or confirm in similar topics, for example

P.S. This is not interesting for me, I do not use the PS2020 and other CC versions due to completely different bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, and i tried absolutely everything and nothing worked.
I ended up installing windows 7 and I solved this problem, but I still have a problem with masks and brushes that aren't soft, many problems with banding... at first i thought i had solved the problem but i didn't.
I have a 10 bit monitor and a graphics card so hardware is not a problem. Photoshop is full of bug problems.
Same problem on PC and Mac, SAME!
I've tried everything from adjusting to preferences, installed drivers, new installation windows 10 pro, 7 pro, every update, with and without monitor calibration, everything...

01.jpg02.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Latest version of PS CC 2020 on a recently installed Win 10. Tools and other settings keep resetting to default upon exit/restart. Very annoying.

This is ridiculous. @Adobe, this is clearly a known bug. Please release a fix or at the minimum address how we can solve this issue without having to revert to older versions of your software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no sign of movement or answers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

solved it this way, rename yout tool presets to Default Tool Presets.tpl and copy-replace it to program files/adobe photoshop/required , and your favorite tool presets will never leave you again))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a good workaround. Problem is, that for people that paint/tweak presets on the fly, this can be a little tedious. I will definitely give it a shot though, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for me. No new tools are kept and the order resets as well 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, added a new preset to see if it stays, no it doesnt, for some reason there is permission access problems to "program files" folder , looks like it is windows problem, for example i cannot save tpl to "required" folder from indide photoshop, but can copy replace it from windows explorer,thats wierd, probably this is why new presets dont stay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines