• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 custom tool presets keep resetting to default

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i just update to current PS from PS2019 2 days ago. I work a lot with custom tools preset (especially for type tool). Ever since the upgrade/update, the custom tool keep resetting everytime I exit/restart photoshop. 

While it's not like a huge deal breaker if I do remember to save my presets, it is very annoying to have it keep resetting... not to mention 2020 has crashed twice on me after updating. (and with the crash, come the reset) 

Didn't see any similar topics while I was browsing for solutions, just wondering are there anything I can do to stop photoshop to keep resetting my custom tools when I exit/restart photoshop? This was never a problem until this update.

Edit: Feb 20th '20. After updating photoshop with the Feb update and tested it out several times, I can confirm my presets doesn't reset anymore

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Hello, I suggest to update to V. 21.1 as there is a fix for disappearing tool presets: Photoshop desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I don't have such problem though. I have many different sets of .tpl and after i made the OP, i continued to make new .tpl and it saved to the default presets folder. I am still having this reset problem. But I don't think it's a windows problem since I'm able to save it to the "required" folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me Ryann, I do not think it's windows permissions related. PS issue most likely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved my issue. Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the most recent update the situation remains the same. No fix 😐

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, no fix for me either - old default tool presets keep coming back again and again 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here!. Just wanted to add to the noise so Adobe might help us. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. It is not fair. I have created a special brush making many different versions and I saved it in my tool presets as usual. Now I am in the middle of a work and just because I gave PS a break, my brush is gone and I can't remember all the options I used. Adobe, my painting will have different brush styles all around, thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG Halluhja! Finally I am seeing people having similar issues with PS 2020. EVERY TIME I open PS, on my WIN PC or WIN laptop, it resets the panel to it's default values. It all started with resetting the layers panel, shuffing all my custom, neatly organized layer styles into one folder calling it 'Your Styles', resets the panel settings and adds the default layer styles.

Yesterday, it started to wipe out all my brushes, leaving me with only the default brushes, and also restting the swatches panel.

I have done so much troubleshooting which did not make one bit of a difference, even unistalled the whole CC suit and starting from scratch.

Adone support, well, all I can say is I do not have time to wait hours for someone to actually answer my support chat. Tried twice patiently, for neary an hour but gave up! It also seems that ths thread is no longer monitored by Adobe, great!

*sigh

RG

Janine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I nearly fell off my chair this morning, seeing another thread on the Photoshop Family website. I thought this issue only started happening with the update to PS 2020! 

The bug was reported over a year ago in that thread! I can't believe it has not been fixed in such a long time!

Photoshop CC 2019: Brush Panel keeps resetting

Janine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I suggest to update to V. 21.1 as there is a fix for disappearing tool presets: Photoshop desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No there isn't. The problem is still happening 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No cigar for you... I AM running V21.1 and still have to reset my tool preferences every time I start Photoshop.  For something I pay almost $60 a month... seems like Adobe could fix this NOW!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

I am also running Photoshop 21.1... I will read what you suggest, but it is definitely still happening to me. Frustrating. Maybe there is a button I should click to hit SAVE before leaving preferences, but I've never had to use that in previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, can you post a thread on Adobe Photoshop Family listing presets and 21.1 in the title, to let engineers that the problem persists.

Which preferences are problematic, all of them? 

Can you post the contents of help>system info?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there - Tried everything and it didn't work UNTIL I realized that this data must be cached locally somewhere because I have this version on my home and work PC with the same log-in.  I dug around a bit and found that SURE THING - there was a .tpl file in the following folder (you have to show hidden files and folders to find it):

C:\Users\* YOUR USER NAME *\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings

I deleted this cached .tpl file and even after restart, I have my tools working again. Not sure it will keep tweaks from here out, but atleast I have my essential brushes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, @ChipDip, did you update to 21.1 and were you still affected by the issue? Do you know when that .tpl file was created?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I go to the trouble of re-opening my strip to open all the Photoshop tools that are now hidden, (you know, the ones that always used to be available from the start), is there a way to have Photoshop open with the entire strip of tools open at one time without me having to go into Preferences or whatever?  I have a new monitor that should fit  all the tools at one time. ... like it used to be. I don't understand the thinking that now hides a good portion of the tools that I tend to need to access on a regular basis. It never seemed that complex a deal, for example, to switch the selection rectangle to a circle, but now it is. Plus monitors have gotten bigger these last many years. I just would like a solution to work around the initial limited tool setup.

Using Photoshop 21.1.1 on a Mac

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEllo, you can customize the toolbar, and reset it: Tools missing from the toolbar could you post a screenshot with what you have? I don't think that the toolbar ever showed the alternate tools by default...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.Since last update things are ok. Although there a delay on some sliders players act.Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, this happens after every update or patch. My custom workspaces disappear, tool settings are randomly reset. Total waste of time and energy getting stuff back to my version of 'normal'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, could you solve this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly same for me EVERY UPDATE i lose all my settings it's so annoying why can't they at least admit there is an issue have have a work around rather than the work it causes every time! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there still no answer on this? I'm having the same problem and it's now April...

has anyone solved this yet?

I wrote some actions that include tool presets and when I close PS the action stop working. 
Help Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines