• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 doesn't save as jpeg on Mac

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated my mac and all my Adobe software. Ever since, when trying to save my psd as a jpg it only saves as psd file even though the jpeg option is selected. Sometimes it does appear to save but the saved files don't open until I change the file type from jpeg to psd and then it opens with the original layers. I've been using export as instead but I would like to do it the old way. Anybody got a fix for this? Thanks.

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

"Why this change?"  "please explain why we now have to use "Save a Copy" 

This change was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, that have caused many well reported issues since Catalina was introduced on Macs. The changes have been applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned.
If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy command.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the experience with Photoshop. Would you mind sharing the macOS version you updated to?

If you have updated to macOS Catalina, please go to the "System Preferences" of your Mac, then "Security and Privacy" and select the "Privacy tab". Once there, please select "Accessibility" from the list on the left and add Photoshop to the list by unlocking the window using the lock icon on the bottom left. Also, grant permissions to Photoshop under "Full disk access". Once done, restart the computer and check if that helps.

You can also reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#restore_preferences

Please backup your actions, brushes, etc. before you reset the preferences. Please check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Yaelkimhi 

It should work now with Photoshop 22.4.  Choose File > Save a Copy instead of Save As to be able to save a JPEG.
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html#save-a-copy  

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

Having to "save a copy" doesn't really solve the problem.  Why this change?  Previously we've been able to save JPG images with the same title as their PSD counterpart simply by hitting "tab-J" to skip to JPG in the format dropdown, then simply saving the image.  Now, we have to use a different shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+S instead of Ctrl+Shift+S), then take time to remove the word "copy" from the auto-filled file name before saving.

Please tell your programmers to stop trying to fix what ain't broke.  The memories are still fresh in our minds of that time you guys removed pixel mode from the line tool in an astonishing display of we-know-better hubris, until most of us revolted & forced you to restore that function in the subsequent update.  The Save-As workflow had been just fine for ages when saving JPGs - please explain why we now have to use "Save a Copy" & relearn a basic motor-memory based task after years of unobtrusive functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why this change?"  "please explain why we now have to use "Save a Copy" 

This change was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, that have caused many well reported issues since Catalina was introduced on Macs. The changes have been applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned.
If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy command.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

You could use Export to export a jpeg if you don't want the "copy" added

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @davescm, for the sensible explanation, and for the tip to use Export instead.  Will try that from now on.  Just finished reading the detailed overview & I guess it makes sense.  Bummed it had to happen because of Mac issues though.

Must be the layers, then.  I was racking my brain for ages trying to figure out why 8-bit/channel RGB files that I could previously save as JPGs with no issue were suddenly not working.

@jane-e- cheers for the clarification.  Ended up posting here since I was unable to find posts addressing this feature update elsewhere.  Still seems a clunky workaround, so hopefully the Mac issues will be resolved & we can have our original workflow back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @protzenegger ,

In addition to what Dave said, your issue is with 22.4 and is not the same as @Yaelkimhi , who was was experiencing the bug on macOS that Save a Copy fixed.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@protzeneggerunder Photoshop Preferances Menu > File Handeling > Check Enable legacy "Save As" this should allow you to regualr save as to jpeg with out having to make a copy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing, thanks!  That takes care of the issue completely.

Not sure why any of the Adobe Community Professionals couldn't simply point me to this solution.  Still a much quicker workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@protzenegger   You asked why ACPs did not point to the legacy option. The reason is simple,  the legacy option was added in the most recent version 22.2.4 and did not exist when much of this thread's discussion took place

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This then speaks to, and supports, "protzenegger"'s comments... and also contradicts assumptions of "blame it on the Mac OS."  ADOBE changed things, then tried to "patch fix it" by adding the "legacy" option... it is illogical to assert that the MacOS was deliberately designed "not to accept JPG as a default format in Photoshop..."  Think about it.  It sounds absurd when it's spelled out like that.

Adobe makes major changes, doesn't tell anyone about them, and doesn't respond to requests for clarification [abuse removed by moderator].  

There is still the issue of JPG never being able to be the default drop down option in "Save As" in PS2023... which it could be in PS2022.  (To be clear, the "default" was simply the pre-selected file format in the drop down menu based on what you chose in "Save As" on the previous save, unless you are working with open layers, in which case it defaults to "Photoshop."  In PS 2023, it will default to any previously saved file format EXCEPT JPG now.  In other words, JPG must always be manually chosen now, even if you accidentally chose some obscure file format accidentally previously and even if you aborted the save, that obscure file format will always show up now as the default save option...  And THAT is definitely a change in PS2023!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No-one has asserted that MacOS was designed not to accept jpg as a default format on a Mac.  This link describes what happened in the MacOS APIs that forced the change referred to in this thread : https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/

I've just tested here, using v24.3 on Windows 11,  and Photoshop defaults to jpeg for the next saved doc if jpeg was the last save, provided the file can be saved in the jpeg format i.e. single background layer, 8 bit, RGB, no transparency ....etc

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines