• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 Gradient Mask

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the gradient changes in Photoshop 2020, I can not figure out how to use the gradient tool to mask out part of an image. If I have an image on a layer then from the bottom of the layer panel, add a layer mask and try to use a gradient within the mask (black to transparent) to make a gradual fade on the image, the gradient will not actually apply inside my layer mask icon, but rather goes on a layer above my image layer and acts as a gradient fill. Has anyone run into this issue? I am sure there is probably a simple solution that I have not been able to find.

Thanks for any advice you can shed on this,

Terrie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

That is what the problem is. The Gradient under the Window will lead to a Gradient Layer being added when you select the type of gradient. What you need is (as you state), the tool that lets you draw a gradient by dragging a line. This tool is usually nested with the Paint Bucket tool. If it is not there, go to Edit>Toolbar... and find it on the Extra Tool panel, and drag it to where you want it to be. If it is not there, you can try clicking on Restore Defaults (this will put everything back to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you have the mask seleted, and you are using the Gradient tool (not the Gradient option from the Layer menu)? I just tried it and found it to work as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do have the mask selected. I am using the gradient tool that you open from under the Window menu. I select the mask, then in the window click on the black to transparent and it puts the gradient on a layer above. In 2020, do we still have the option to use the gradient tool that we can drag ourselves to create a custom gradient. It is no longer nested with the Fill bucket tool in the tool panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what the problem is. The Gradient under the Window will lead to a Gradient Layer being added when you select the type of gradient. What you need is (as you state), the tool that lets you draw a gradient by dragging a line. This tool is usually nested with the Paint Bucket tool. If it is not there, go to Edit>Toolbar... and find it on the Extra Tool panel, and drag it to where you want it to be. If it is not there, you can try clicking on Restore Defaults (this will put everything back to its original place). If you have done any customization to your Toolbas and want to preserve it, make sure to click on Save Preset befor you restore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my goodness!! Thank you SO much! In all the years I have used Photoshop, I have never had to make changes to my toolbar and didn't realize where that option was. You have taught me something new, and I really appreciate your help. Ever since I just recently upgraded to 2020, I was surprised the gradient tool  was not there, but just assumed it was part of the changes in the gradient presets and the new window. I have unsuccessfully searched for a place to draw my own gradient. You just made my day. Thanks again.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome! I am glad I was able to help you. Thank you very much for the kind words!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please mark my answer as "Correct Answer"? This would help other people searching for a solution to the same problem. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this tip.  I had also been stuck with creating a separate gradient layer, this tip describes how to add a gradient to the mask directly Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this question, till I am not clear to this question am sure I am a photo editor and need this help. UI have the same problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your gradient tool is missing like mine was, check out the comment from Rafael that is marked as the Correct Answer. He gave me the exact answer I needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply does not work anymore in 2020 photoshop on mac.. Yes, have been using it for 20+ years. But instead of the masked area, the background gets a black to transparent gradient no matter what I try...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dose not seem to be a problem in the windows version of Photoshop 21.2. It would also be better to use a black to white gradient.  That gradient would work if you target a reveal all layer mask or a hide all layer mask. Black to transparent would have no effect on a hide all layer mask. Black to transparent will work well on a white reveal all layer mask.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the screen shots they helped me check all of my settings. In my case I had the brush set to 50 % and flow set to 50% and the filter was set to screen at 50%. All were carry overs from some other project. So not broken just need to check the settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines