• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020: "Could not complete your request because of a program error" macOS Catalina

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I got photoshop for school use, then it started to act up, really badly. It says "Cannot complete your request due to a program error" and whenever any ket is pressed, the same error message shows up. I'm having to force quit it too many times, and its just getting out of hand.

When a photoshop file is open, half the features don't work, and I can't even save. Other popups like hue/saturation screen, and other settings don't show. However, I can still get the system info.

Does anyone know whats going on and how I can fix this? 

Here is what it's doing.Here is what it's doing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Hello, afected users need to update to Photoshop 22.1.1 as it fixes the issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

If the update does not appear in the CC app, go to help>check for updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi this problem is a bug which is under notice of Adobe Team so it is good to use CC 2019 yet...Regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So they know about their latest software not working but still offering as an update or auto-install it (when this feature is enabled)??......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the 2019 version and its still doing the same thing..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Sorry, I can't seem to get into that account which I posted on)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. I reinstalled Adobe Photoshop multiple times but got the same error.

I spoke to an Adobe rep and they got on my computer and disabled the 'Use Graphics Processor' function within Preferences>Performance. This did the trick.

They said this a known bug with 22.0.1. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That 'solution' is like fixing your mountain bike by putting it in a cardboard box and telling you to just throw it along...

Disabling the GPU isn't a solution for anybody working on pro resolution multilayered 16 bit documents using advanced filters etc. And yes, even on a maxed out current i9 machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that the work around is not a great one, but having a working Photoshop vs a non working makes quite a difference. Current version of Photoshop is 22.1 which is a version more than Chris' version. The problem may be gone there.

It may well be, if the GP is involved that the graphics card is causing the trouble or the driver version for the graphics card. As some user have it, others not, the graphics processor and driver may be involved.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a) Unfortunately the version 22.1 has even MORE problems in this regard. ;-/

b) Yes, I agree, for some the deactivation of GPU is a viable workaround. For others, who have to do productive work under time constraints a photoshop version without GPU is like another program, practically not usable.

b) BTW, it's no surprise that disabling GPU solves some bugs/errors, which are basically a result of an aged program core and sloppy programming, investing more in shiny new features instead of fixing problems and modernizing the core component code.

A large portion of the more advanced and demanding (from the programmer's perspective) functions/filters/etc. in PS are related to GPU-acceleration tasks. That's what used to make PS the tool for pro work with high-resolution high-bit-depth data in the first place. In other words, looking onto it from the persective of a software developer: GPU-support is not a nice-to-have add-on making PS a bit faster on slow machines; it's a core component for demanding work.

(BTW, there a gazillion other graphic programs on the market for basic photo editing...  Many ppl who use PS actually don't NEED the more advanced features...

In other words: For most ppl the mentioned PS-errors are just an annoying nuisance. But there are also a few ppl out there, who - in their daily work - heavily rely on a prof and fast software and advanced features. For them the increasing number of issues and bugs in every of the last updates, that is, the almost total absence of any quality control (using us CC-users as beta-testers) is just a desaster.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disabled the "Use Graphics Processor" that didn't solve my problem.  ☹️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing many issues with my new updated photoshop. Zooming and image freezing, layers that are frozen are still displayed untill refreshing screen, and the worst of all in the inability to save a project (simple black and white) or merge layers together of rasterized shapes, because of an error message that tells me I can not do this due to program error. If I find the layer that is causing this error and freeze it before saving or merging the operation is successful. This is a huge issue in productivity and suggesting me to use other less buggy programs. I have used PS for years and am highly disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JohnnyFotoanimal ,

what program version please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last one... since I make the updates to this new version I started to
have this problem!!! Adobe Photoshop 2021...

I'm working with 2020 to don't get the problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A program version is always a number.number.number or similar. Adobe Photoshop 2021 is for the moment available in 3 flavours: 22.1, 22.01 and 22.0.

"The latest" may not be true (an update did not go through for example) and at least with the next iteration, it is no more true. Please indicate always the exact version number as found normally with "Help->About". And as a matter of a fact, indicate always also your OS and version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's effectively the current version at this time. Did you try this: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles?

The Adobe document refers to 22.01 as having solved the issue. But you are even one version further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. I've tried everything, thinking there may be some issues with my RAM or graphic card. All tests passed but the issue is still there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be specific: I've reinstalled all drivers, then changed versions, then tested the components, then reinstalled the system (yup, I did) but that didn't resolve the issue. 
I'm writing that for the folks thinking those steps may help. Don't waste your time. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michal,

If it does not resolve the issue for you, it may well resolve the issue for others. Especially graphics drivers for consumer cards are known to be buggy, because they get developped fast and trimmed to run games fast. Running Photoshop stable is mostly not a priority. I use, if ever possible, chip manufactorers drivers from their website. Also if they are offering application drivers vs games drivers I go for application drivers.

To be specific: system configuration matters. So you did a lot, but did not tell your configuration. And other people may have other configs and any of the recommended actions (https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles) could help them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Estou passando pelo mesmo problema na versão 22,1. Tô explodindo de raiva, perdi dois projetos pelo mesmo erro, fiz todos os procedimentos e nada de resolver, fui lá tentar resolver e deu no mesmo, resumo: 4h de trabalho perdido por um simples erro de programa que poderia ser resolvido em poucos minutos!!!!!!! POR FAVOR, ARRUMEM URGENTEMENTE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pshop é incrível hoje em dia. Olhe ou escreva aqui no "Feedback" também

Photoshop 2020: "Could not complete your request because of a program error" macOS Catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They don't care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, afected users need to update to Photoshop 22.1.1 as it fixes the issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

If the update does not appear in the CC app, go to help>check for updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines