Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 - Save As - File Type Extension

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, i need some help please.

With Photoshop CC 2019, when i "Save As", the file extension was never at the end of the text; which was great because it sped up my workflow. Now with Photoshop CC 2020, the file extension follows the file name when I "Save As". which means I first need to remove the file extesion before updating the file name.

Is there a setting somewhere which i do not know about?

The PC right next to me has the same version of Photoshop however that one is still working they way i want it to. I have gone through all of the preferences between the two PC's and i see no difference so i do not understand why my PC in putting the extension in after the file name.

Highlighted is what i want goneHighlighted is what i want gone

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Hi

In Windows File Explorer, you have the option to show or hide extensions. You may have them showing on this computer. See this Adobe Help page to see if it’s what you are looking for:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/show-hidden-files-folders-extensions.html

Note that it tells you how to show the extensions, as that’s what most users what, and you are looking for the opposite. It will still take you to the right place.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

I just figured it out **,) and then came on to the Forum to let every one know; so thanks Jane! 

You really are on the ball!

For everyone else, attached is a screenshot of the setting which needs to be ticked. 
Try it, it makes manually naming and renaming files sooooo much easier! Not just in Photoshop.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why it’s changed, but you don’t need to remove it - or do you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It changed because the windows folder view settings had been tampered with.

I just like to change it; purely because it makes the process of updating file names allot quicker not having to use the arrow keys to move to the correct location and not having to use the mouse to put the curser in the correct locations.

I am just of those people that REALLY love shortcuts and "tab" so with dataentry, using the mouse is a big no no for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

In Windows File Explorer, you have the option to show or hide extensions. You may have them showing on this computer. See this Adobe Help page to see if it’s what you are looking for:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/show-hidden-files-folders-extensions.html

Note that it tells you how to show the extensions, as that’s what most users what, and you are looking for the opposite. It will still take you to the right place.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just figured it out **,) and then came on to the Forum to let every one know; so thanks Jane! 

You really are on the ball!

For everyone else, attached is a screenshot of the setting which needs to be ticked. 
Try it, it makes manually naming and renaming files sooooo much easier! Not just in Photoshop.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re welcome, @idealeng, and for those who want to show extensions (most of us) and find this thread later, they can also use the information.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your help Jane. 

That issue has been bothering me for several months, now it's sorted thanks to your input!

Declan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can hide extensions if you want, but be warned. Knowing the file type can be essential for a number of reasons, and personally I can't imagine why anyone would want to hide them. It's trouble waiting to happen.

You might want to know that a jpeg is a jpeg, for instance. A jpeg should never be processed further if it can be avoided, it will degrade with each new save. A lot of people don't know this. It's also highly variable which file properties are supported by which file format. PNG doesn't support layers, jpeg basically doesn't support anything at all.

Just needs to be said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines