• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 save for web exporting as GIF, even when selecting PNG or JPEG.

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to save out some images from a slice with the export for web function but the software seems to be spitting out GIFs all the time. I've tried outputting JPEG and PNG but the export function will only give me GIF format files.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Edit: To be more clear, when I select JPEG it exports the images, but the file types are GIF instead of JPEG. This is the same for PNG.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Had same issue. Played around a bit & found a fix

-> goto save for web
-> click on Original or Optimized
-> ctrl+shift + click on all the slices
-> Choose format

and boom

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently using windows 10. Both the other designers in the office are having this same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also see this issue on Windows 10 1903, with Photoshop 20.0.x and 21.1.1. I get the first slice in the specified format, the last slice in .JPG, and the inbetween slices all in .GIF. It does not matter if I set the size for the slices or not. It does not matter if I choose PNG, GIF or JPG as the initial format.

I'm also having issues actually using/uploading those images elsewhere like Google Photos, as they're interpreted to be corrupt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had same issue. Played around a bit & found a fix

-> goto save for web
-> click on Original or Optimized
-> ctrl+shift + click on all the slices
-> Choose format

and boom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, I am in a massive rush and this fixed it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this was over two years ago that you posted, but thank you so much for that fix! I was going crazy thought I was doomed to a gif format. But I saved it and now I have jpegs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried with that and nothing.. still getting the images in gif format, if i click one it gives me PNG or JPG but if i click more than one it gives me gif format... any other advice that could help? :8 :´(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anybody else has issues with this, do what nihalhgraphics suggested, then select "Done."
After that go back in to the "export for web" select all the slices and then try saving again.

Not sure what the issue is, but it just wasn't saving any of the options I made if I went straight to "Save."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to put out there that this also worked for me! Super helpful, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this worked for me as well! Thanks ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much1 This was a huge lifesaver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you so so so so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022 Update:

Photoshop 2022, Release 23.4.1 on Windows 11

• Create a new file 960x960px with white background and 8 or 16 bit depth, choose sRGB IEC61966-2.1 as the color profile
  • Use a vertical and horizontal guide to divide the image into 4 (i.e. four x 480x480px)
  • Select the Slice Tool (in the crop section)
  • Click Slice From Guides
  • Select File - Export - Save For Web
  • I chose 50% magnification to see all 4 slices - change to suit
  • Click on the first slice then Shift + Click the other slices to highlight all of them
  • Under Preset I chose JPEG High
  • Ensure the image size is still 960x960px
  • Click Save
  • Choose a folder to save to
  • Delete everything in the File name box (this still may show the gif extension) and enter a name of your own
  • Save
  • Open the folder and your 4 jpg images (measuring 480x480px each) will be there
  • To check for success and perfect alignment create a new file 960x960px with white background and 8 or 16 bit
  • depth, choose sRGB IEC61966-2.1 as the color profile
  • File - Open (select all 4 jpeg images)
  • In Photoshop drag each image into the new 'white' image and position - use guides to aid registration
  • Alternately you could use File - Place Embeded instead of drag and dropping files

NOTE: do not mix file dragging with embedding, I tried with 3 drag and drop then embeded the last one, they all aligned perfectly however the embeded image lacked a little saturation and was slightly lighter in the dark areas and dark in the lighter areas (tried a Levels adjustment but could not get it to match?). For this reason I would chose the drag and drop method as the images matched the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image that adobe chose in submenu 'save for web' only just the last slices is correct with your save setting. if u want to apply all the slices to your current setting, you have to pick all of the slices. How?
On the preview screen, zoom out to 50% or less until you can see all of the slices, and then click Cmd + A or (Ctrl+A) to select all the slices, then pick your save setting and boom. Done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey, this is not working for me or any of the methods below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines