• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 screen turns grey while toggling between different applications

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Havent been able to find an answer for this one, as its hard to word. But whenever I exit Photoshop to either watch a tutorial or even switch to Lightroom, I'll come back to a gray image. Once I hide and unhide the layer, its fine. But when I exit again, same thing (most of the time). I've included pictures to show you what I mean. Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 8.04.29 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-03 at 8.04.01 AM.png

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Photoshop 2020 is showing a black screen whenever you switch to a different application.

Would you mind deselecting the option "Use Graphics Processor" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps? 

If that does not helps, please checkout the steps mentioned in this article https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-home-screen-issues.html

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac Pro (2013), 32GB Ram, 2 AMD FirePro D700 6GB

I'm having the same issues. From what I can see is the more layers I have opened the worst the problem becomes. Checking activity monitor I see that only ONE of the GPU is being used by Photoshop. I read in the latest Lightroom it can only use ONE GPU. I'm wondering if the same thing is happening in the latest Photoshop release. The issue actually started with the previous release but has gotten worst with this release. Rebooting helps but only for a short while. What seems to works best for me is to collapse as many layers as possible whenever possible. 

Turning off the GPU is a none starter. I've been in these threads for the last 3-4 years and turning off the GPU is ALWAYS the first recommendation. I know in terms of technology dog years, my Mac Pro (2013) is getting old in the tooth but all my other GPU intense software are working just fine. So it's NOT my GPU, it's the application. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind updating to the latest version of Photoshop 2020 and let us know if that helps?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi.

I have this problem too. I've updated the last version of photoshop 2020, and it doesn't help. still get the problem and I know about few more people that suffer from this problem.

I'm sharing my screenshots.

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 12.59.27.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 13.42.03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that images turning grey when an adjustment is applied to the layers.

Would you mind opening the Preferences > Performance menu and uncheck Legacy Compositing ?

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's uncheck and the problem is not solved yet
it doesn't help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and my "Use graphics Processor" and "Legacy compositing" were not checked... I already uninstall and reinstall and nothing works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, which I just fixed after finding this thread.

"Legacy Compositing" was already UNCHECKED.

I CHECKED "Use graphics Processor" and then CHECKED Advanced->Use native operating system GPU accelleration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also worked for me, thank you for finding this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me Daphne, thank you so much, it was driving me round the bend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me as well. Brilliant suggestion - should just be floated to the top of this thread! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

experiencing the same thing despite the UGP turned off. I think my macbook pro 2016 shouldn't be having such a hard time running Photoshop 2021? This happens so much that I can't really enumerate anymore what instances trigger these bugs. I also can't save the file everytime this happens too.  Please see attached photo.

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 11.23.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 11.24.09 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If the GPU option does not work, roll back to an earlier version of Ps, through Creative Cloud.

If you need to use the latest version, then reach out to Adobe Support so they can help you directly.

https://www.adobe.com/about-adobe/contact.html

You will have to go through their AI bot on the bottom right of the screen.

Good luck

mj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking 'Use Graphics Processor' solved this issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey akash 
I had the same problem since I updated my photoshop v 21.2.1, I HAD ENOUGTH NOW AND YOUR "TIPS" DOES NOT HELP ME. so I decided to go back to the old version [18.1.6]. AND IT SOLVED THANK YOU. now please fix it and let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aslo having this issue and it's driving me crazy. These suggestions haven't solved the issue. I'll have to revert to old version of the software until this is resolved as it's really slowing down my worklfow.

Any additional help really appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019) - Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB - 

32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

I'm having the same problem, none of the adviced tricks help. Switch back to 2019 and I have no issues there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me - im using Radion Pro eGPU with Wacom and I had this exact issue.

Rememberd I had changed the cache levels as with a big GPU assumed this would be good and improve things, sometimes I was getting some slowdowns that I could only cure by restarting PS - however in changing the cache to a higer number this problem starts exhibiting.

SImply changing this back to the default "4" then restarting PS and the problem has gone away.

Screenshot 2020-09-03 at 08.46.31.png

GPU is on and Legacy compositing is off, it was just Cache levels I had to change back (having had it set to 5).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU THIS WORKED

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem to, none of the suggestions above works. I'm on the latest version of PS (21.2.3) on a MacPro (2019), MacOS 10.15.6, 3.2 Ghz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB and 96 GB RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with me, super frustrating, If i toggle the layers sometimes the image comes back.

Just going to downgrade. My premiere has been just as bad with the 2020 update. 

I'll be downgrading to 2019 again.

Not sure whats going on at adobe but all my programs are a mess. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 7.18.27 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same and none of the replys help... sos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please see these resources from Adobe.

If the document window is blank - see https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

If the Home Screem is blank - See https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-home-screen-issues.html

Hope this sorts your problems

mj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines