Highlighted

Photoshop 2020 slow perfomance on MacOs Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated my iMac computer to MacOs Catalina 10.15.7.  I also upgraded my Adobe design programmes from CS4 to Photoshop 2020 , Illustrator 2020, Indesign 2020 etc.

I'm currently working on an urgent project, and have been using Indesign and Photoshop.  I'm finding Photoshop incredibly slow:

It takes a long time to open.

It takes a long time to open a document.

It crashes a lot.

I get a spinning ball a lot.

Every time I try to do simple things like cloning, I get a spinning ball.

The file sizes I am working on are very large, but I never had these kinds of problems with CS4. 

Am I getting these problems because the programmes are linked to the cloud?

Could I download the programmes instead to use?

This is very frustrating as the project is urgent.  I have 8 feature walls to design.

Can anyone help?

P.s.  I was very happy working with CS4 all these years, and was reluctant to upgrade.  But I did so, moving forward with my business, and I also like some of the features in the new versions.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop 2020 slow perfomance on MacOs Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated my iMac computer to MacOs Catalina 10.15.7.  I also upgraded my Adobe design programmes from CS4 to Photoshop 2020 , Illustrator 2020, Indesign 2020 etc.

I'm currently working on an urgent project, and have been using Indesign and Photoshop.  I'm finding Photoshop incredibly slow:

It takes a long time to open.

It takes a long time to open a document.

It crashes a lot.

I get a spinning ball a lot.

Every time I try to do simple things like cloning, I get a spinning ball.

The file sizes I am working on are very large, but I never had these kinds of problems with CS4. 

Am I getting these problems because the programmes are linked to the cloud?

Could I download the programmes instead to use?

This is very frustrating as the project is urgent.  I have 8 feature walls to design.

Can anyone help?

P.s.  I was very happy working with CS4 all these years, and was reluctant to upgrade.  But I did so, moving forward with my business, and I also like some of the features in the new versions.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 02, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. Have you added Photoshop to the Accesibility list for macOS? If not, please go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left and check if you see Photoshop in the list with a check mark infront of it. If you don't, please add Photoshop to the list by unlocking the window using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking on the + sign and navigating to the Applications folder. Also, grant permissions to Photoshop under Full disk access. Once done, restart your Mac to check if that helps.

You can also try optimizing the preferences for Photoshop using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nikunj

Thank you for your reply I will try your suggestions later, and let you know how I get on.  In the meantime, if I wanted to download the adobe design programs can I do so? or is everything cloud-based only now?

Annette

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The applications are installed locally on the computer and not accessed via the cloud. Please let us know how things go after you have tried the suggested steps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again for your help so far.

I tried your suggestions and made changes, so far Photoshop works a little better, Not as many crashes, although it still crashes now and then for example:

I'm working on a very large image 230cm x 300cm in Photoshop, when I open Bridge at the same time it crashes Photoshop which is quite frustrating.  I still also get the spinning ball when doing simple tasks in photoshop.

Is there anything else I can do to help with photoshop performance?

Thanks

Annette

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to my reply, I'm working on another project in photoshop, I opened up two photoshop projects and the one I'm working on has just crashed.  This is really frustrating, I've not had this problem before with CS4.

Any more ideas?

Annette

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0