Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020: text just doesn't work & performance issues on Windows

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been trying cc2020 after 2015 finally was not launching anymore and it's been terrible. It's beyond slow, everything lags so hard and the worst part is doing any text editing doesn't work at all.

For example I am typing a line and press enter and nothing. Nothing happens no second line any typing or backspace, arrows or whatever doesn't do anything anymore, shortcuts stop working and all I can do is hit the cancel or checkmark at the top. Then when I want to edit a typed field it gives me a gray square with a random letter in 4 different sizes or types and doesn't let me do anything. When using a costum font it randomly loses the font and starts telling me the font does not exist. When I try to click on a textfield with the error (not every field WITH THE SAME FONT has this problem) it just crashes. Photoshop is just done. No error nothing just gone.

I avoided 2018, 2019 and 2020 as my initial experience was just terrible on a computer that is plenty good enough to run the programs. In 2020 I can't even do a 1024*768 at 72 dpi file anymore my brushstrokes are incredibly slow. I had the same problem in 2019 and 2018 but to a far lesser extent.

Is there any fix for this or is this just how things are now? I am now on 2017 which isn't great but it works well. I can at the very least draw, edit photo's and photobash.

My laptops specs:

i7 6700hq

32gb ram

960 pro 512GB nvme ssd

Gtx 970m

My computer is plenty good for the software but everything is just slow. cc2020 uses so much more ram and 20% more cpu usage but it's so much slower compared to older versions.

I'm also aware that 2017 is on the chopping block and I would love for a way to get 2015 back as that thing just flies.

Thank you for your help.

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop 2020. Please ensure you have the latest version of Photoshop 2020 (21.2.3) installed on the computer. Also, please ensure that you have available Windows updates & the latest drivers for your computers graphics card installed from the manufacturers website.

You can try optimizing the preferences of Photoshop using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

If you still experience issues, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2020 there are a dozen versions

21.2.3 Current

All version of Photoshop have bugs there is a CS2 bug that still exists in all version of  Photoshop 2020.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know of any that don't run just awfull and actually have their tools work? I'm on the last 2020 release right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On my Window 10 Photoshop  21.2.3 works very well there is a minor issuer  with Pen support  using WinTab and INK with regards of using pen with tools like the Lasso when you need to use the space bar to pan. With With WinTab interface the Lasso tool stays active there is no switching to the hand tool.  With INK the Lasso Tool will switch to the Hand tool but  the image will not pan with the Pen. WinTab or INK are the only options you have for Pen support.   WinTab prevent the lasso Tool from  switching to the Hand tool you can not even use your mouse to pan.  INK does not prevent the Lasso Switching to the hand tool  so you can use your mouse to pan you just can noy uset the pen to pan.  IMO it a minor issue  for I never use the lasso tool.  Other tools like like Poly lasso tool auto-pans when you reach the image window frame.  Only the lasso tools  does not auto-pan and if it did its selection would continue to be dragged out and not be what you would want to select.

There are similar issues in CC 2019.  CC 2018 is good in this area but like all Photoshop version CC 2018 will have its own set of issues.

How well Photoshop will perform depends on how well its configured and how good your hardware is and how much machine resources are available for photoshop use.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines