Highlighted

Photoshop 2020 v21 crash/freeze

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody else have a total Photoshop 2020 freeze?

Just installed it and when open program/app it loads till the “What’s new screen” with photoshop in background and then just total freeze. Have tried to uninstall and install again - same. Lightroom ok. Photoshop old version (20.0.7) works ok. (win10)

Topics

Crash or freeze, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop 2020 v21 crash/freeze

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody else have a total Photoshop 2020 freeze?

Just installed it and when open program/app it loads till the “What’s new screen” with photoshop in background and then just total freeze. Have tried to uninstall and install again - same. Lightroom ok. Photoshop old version (20.0.7) works ok. (win10)

Topics

Crash or freeze, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 05, 2019 14
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Photoshop 2020 is freezing and crashing unexpectedly. 

Could you please turn on the Legacy Compositing option in Performance preferences?

Choose Edit > Preferences > Performance (Windows) or Photoshop > Preferences > Performance (macOS). Select Legacy Compositing. Quit and relaunch Photoshop.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019 2
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx for the reply

However, since Photoshop freezes at startup on the “What’s new screen” I really cannot do anything hence the freeze.

Not possible to click next on the “What’s new screen”

Not possible to click on close button (“X”) on the “What’s new screen”

Not possible to access any of the menu items.

Kind regards

Heine

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 3
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  Can not Force Quit the application on my Macbook Pro (OS 10.5.5 Catalina) and when I try to reboot it's already hung up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the issue that Photoshop 2020 freezes on ever 2nd or 3rd stroke when i am editing - for example i can erase 2 strokes and then i get the coloured wheel of detal for at least 30 seconds, then i can do another 2-3 strokes before it freexes again. It is driving me insance, can i just downgrade back to 2019?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2020 3
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I followed the method above but photoshop still crashing. It doesn't happen until I try to use brush strokes to apply another layer. The version that I am having currently is 21.1.2, is there other method to fix? Thanks a lot

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this. Photoshop is still freezing when trying to save a file (not everytime but quite frequent). 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akasha,

I'm using the current version of Photoshop(21.1.3) on MacOS Catalina (10.15.5) on a MacBook Pro 2018. When I'm trying to edit a photo using the Brightness and Contrast feature, it freezes. Also, I've noticed that photoshop glitches out after using it for a while, where buttons and tools stop working; and so I usualy have to restart photoshop. This is very inconvenient for design professionals, especially considering that we are working on deadlines. Can we please fix all the glitches?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. Installed 2020 freezes at splash screen. Uninstalled and tried again. Still freezes at splash screen. Reverted to the previous version. Running Windows 10. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 4
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this issue when launching Photoshop 2020.  I have to end the process from the task manager and cannot select any other options within the application.  Needs more work. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I got mine to work by installing the previous version and then choosing upgrade from the Creative Cloud app.  Before I did a clean install of PS 2020, which didn't go so well.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019 2
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me! Thank you very much!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Windows 10? I tried this but it did not work for me. Did you have "remove old versions" checked when updating to the 2020 version?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Windows 10 build 1903.  I don't remember seeing that option, however, I don't see any trace of prior versions, so I'm going to say that it was checked.  I noticed that Adobe has since put out an update to version 21.0.1.  Have you tried this update?

EDIT:  I also found this, which may work for you: https://community.adobe.com/t5/Photoshop/Cannot-open-Photoshop-2020/td-p/10717064

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, on Mac OS. I can only do simple stuff. Photomerge freezes, clicking on some feature freezes. I left ot open for an hour, still blank screen.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Photoshop is freezing while editing. 

Could you please let us know the version of Photoshop you're using? Also, are you using the latest version of Mac OS Catalina?

Thanks,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version of everything. I tweaked the performance setting in photoshop, such as not to use the graphical card etc., at least I could get photomerge to work. But the Nik Collection plugin's resolution is suffering. And browsing the computer content is unbearably slow. Actions like zooming the image would hang. Once I terminate Photoshop, I won't start unless I reboot. And the machine gets stuck and I gave to hard reboot which could damage the machine. Adobe added so many antipiracy processes that make the OS very unstable. Adobe has the most weird processes on the computer. It can potentially open the backdoor for the hackers. Look at Microsoft Office, it does not have these to protect its software but I have not known a single person using illegal software. Adobe should work with MS and Apple to address that on the OS level.  We are artists, we pay for your software but we cannot use it now. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I have exact same problem. Running Windows 10. Cannot click on anything and it's locked on the What's New screen. Have to use task manager to close the program.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2019 3