Photoshop 2021 crashing on macOS Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I really need some help!

I have a brand new Macbook Pro - well, I bought it mid year.

I have Photoshop 21 and all Apple updates are current.

Everytime I used a brush, the computer revs up and I get the coloured circle - and it freezes. It has now started doing it with the Spot healing brush too! What am i doing wrong, or is this a problem with photoshop and Apple?  I can't get a damn thing finished!

Thanks

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020
Hi, We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop 2021. Please go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left and check if you see Photoshop added to the list with a check mark in front of it. If Photoshop is not a part of the list, please add it by unlocking the window first using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon and navigating to the Applications folder. Also, grant per...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop 2021. Please go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left and check if you see Photoshop added to the list with a check mark in front of it. If Photoshop is not a part of the list, please add it by unlocking the window first using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon and navigating to the Applications folder. Also, grant permissions to Photoshop under Full disk access located in the same list as Accessibility. Once done, restart the Mac and check if it helps.

Once you have added Photoshop to the list, you can also try to optimize the preferences of Photoshop using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Let us know if it helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou!! Followed your instructions and everything is working beautifully - Thank-you!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear you succeded. Was there any particular step you recognized as the key to fixing the problem? I've done a 100 things and nothing works. Still freezing. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's back, I think there was another update and now it freezes again. It's been happening with the brush tools.  I'm really at the end of my patience with this!! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been 2 straight days of Photoshop crashing. I've gone through all of the troubleshooting steps and have updated my entire system/programs and have even uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times on both my macbook pro and mac pro. This is becoming incredibly ridiculous because I cannot perform my job duties without this program. What is going on and why are so many of us affected?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop crashes for me when creating a new document.  None of these fixes solves the problem.

Adobe:  I suppose I'd be upset if I were paying real money every month for software that crashes 10 seconds upon launching... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's upsetting Adobe is not addressing this issue.

I have commission work I'm falling behind on because it's taking me a few
hours to do simple edits that I'd normally take care of in a quarter of
that time. Adobe... Figure this damn thing out. Your silence is offensive

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been two days late in my work delivery because PS freezes and does not let me work I have the Catalina system and PS freezes and I moved to everything that Adobe says it can be and nothing works for me, please give a solution to this big problem

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seguimos con problemas, lo que yo estoy viendo es que el problema es Camera Raw, ahi hay un problema enorme y cuando queremos editar nuestros trabajos no podemos.

Adobe tiene que entender que somo una comunidad gigantezca que vivimos de esto, de poder procesar nuestros trabajos y entregarlos al cliente, estamos pagando nuestros planes mensuales o anueles al precio que ellos nos piden, nosotros cumplimos con lo establecido y ellos no han hecho nada para solucionarlo.

Por favor Adobe arreglen este enorme porblema el cual nos tiene sin trabar a muchisimas personas.

In English for you....

We continue with problems, what I am seeing is that the problem is Camera Raw, there is a huge problem and when we want to edit our work we cannot. Adobe has to understand that we are a gigantic community that makes a living from this, of being able to process our work and deliver it to the client, we are paying our monthly or annual plans at the price they ask us, we comply with what is established and they have not done anything to fix it. Please Adobe fix this huge porblema which we have been unable to work for many people.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing all of the above, I received some good advice that seems to work (I am working on Macbook Pro with OS Big Sur): Select Photoshop Preferences, Performance, Graphic Processer Settings and deselect Use Graphic Processor. Then go to Preferences, File handling, Click on Camera Raw Preferences, Performance, and turn Use graphics processor to OFF. Photoshop has not crashed in 5 days.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting, thanks. Good to have a possible solution.

I see in the GPU Advanced Settings, the Drawing Mode can be taken down to Normal or Basic as an option to increase stability as well? I might give that a try.

Is it not important to have the Graphics Processor box ticked then?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix the issue, i ll do the thing with accessibility and stuff...work but for a few minutes anfter that frash and crash and crash and freeze and reboot and all that...am really tired of this already without answers!!! please fix this, we pay for this properly service!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried to turn off using the graphic processor. It still crashes.

This issue is tied to creative cloud knocking itself offline. When it
crashes then PS and LR crash. It's not limited to just PS.

I tried it as a last ditch effort as I already am familiar with PS. But
I'll continue using and learning affinity.

Adobe....its understandable that issues will arise. But your silence is
very unprofessional and really shines a light on your lack of
customer service.

At least address the damn issue many of us are having! LAME

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I have run through these steps, but am still have frequent crashes.  I even went through uninstalling and reinstalling the program.  That helped for a bit, but the frequent crashes have returned.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helll i just got a service with you i have a macbook pro with catalina last update, when i try to open photoshop 2021, doenst open..

Regards i am paying too much to dont get the service

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not help with Photoshop 22.3.1 crashing on Catalina 10.15.7 on startup every single time. It's basically useless. I have done days of troubleshooting with the privacy/accessibility, full-disk access (as per above) checked all my fonts, reset preferences, nothing helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following the recommended steps did nothing. Photoshop still crashes instantaneously. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you made any progress? I have done all the same things and have the same issue as you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done everything you suggest in SysPrefs, but it still crashes even after I have restarted several times. I can't address/adjust the PSD prefs IF I CAN'T OPEN THE PROGRAM. (sorry for the all caps there). Help?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The suggestion doesn't help. My PSCC 2021 already had the check mark in the Accessibility  tab in Privacy in System Prefs. This is not the source of the problem, at least not the problem I am experiencing, with PSCC crashing instantly on launch with system errors, all of which have been reported to Adobe with almost every crash. As mentioned elsewhere in my posts. I can get PSCC to work only if I launch it immediately after booting my iMacPro. Then I can send a raw file to PSCC using the "edit in" command. Often I can do some work in PSCC, but sometimes, it will crash when I try to save the tif file. So buggy, please fix.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it looks like my photoshop had an update to 22.01 and now the problem with photoshop is freezing again?  Usually when using the brush tool for dodging and burnig, but is also did it when I was using Spot healing.  I'm far from a tech or compter guy, I just want Photoshop to work without crashing!! It has come to the point of driving me crazy. I just did the Mac upgrade to Big Sur and haven't tried photoshop again as yet.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and its really frustrating. I cannot work at all. Help!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here for the lajst 4 days all of a sudden. I've tried all the suggestions, This is ridiculous!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly same problem ... crashes in while "spot healing" ... in my case in Camera RAW.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines