• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop crashes and freezes

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever I try, which ever update I try, the latest PS will only start up with a beach ball and that ever since version 22.x

On a MBA 2020 Big Sur 11.4 I7 16GB

What I tried:

- deleted preferences

- uninstalled and reinstalled

- reverted to version 21.X well that worked but updating results in the same crash.

What to do next?

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Hi all,

We're sorry for the crash issue. Take a look at the following troubleshooting article and try the first 6 simple steps that can help you resolve most of the crash and freeze issues with Photoshop:  Troubleshoot crash or freeze | Photoshop

If that doesn't help then, take a look at the other troubleshooting tips section.

Let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

I have students who are running into the same problems.

Does anyone know where I can find this script to run on a Windows PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 332 Replies 332
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info @Mark.Dahm - took me ages to find your info, I'm going to update to 11.3 and cross my fingers nothing else goes wrong in trying to fix Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a clean install of my Mac Pro, to Big Sur OS. I reinstalled PS2021 and Bridge . . . I can report that both programs are working fine. Big Sur is a huge change from the other Mac operating systems. But, I must say, Catalina is not that old . . . Adobe should be supporting it still. At the minimum, they should be on this "Adobe" forum to cover questions for customers who either cannot upgrade or do not want to upgrade. Good customer service is always a plus for me when purchasing a software program. Unfortunately, like so many other Big Tech companies, they have us hooked, and we have invested a lot of time learning PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the reasons I hesitate to update to BigSur is that my Sony alpha cameras and some lenses must be tethered to a computer in order to update firmware. I dislike this firmware update system in general because I think it introduces a lot of variability into the update process. But I dislike it also because most of the firmware update software only runs on older versions of the Mac OS. For example, it has only been recently that you could run a Tamron lens firmware update on Catalina, and then not even on the latest iteration of Catalina (10.15.7) but only on 10.15.0. So I don't just jump to the latest OS update whenever it is issued. And right now, BigSur is too advanced for these firmware updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally moved from Catalina to BigSur and the transition seems to have gone smoothly. I note that PSCC's preferences still have OCL checked, but I assume that Apple has fixed whatever the glitch was with this item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SASanderson , yep, you should be fine with OCL working on 11.3 or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mark. It took a little more doing than I expected. There were Topaz plugins that had always worked well that suddenly began creating the same type of crash I experience with PSCC in Catalina. Now after a lot of cleaning of old preference files, and a reinstall of Adobe Creative Cloud I am back in business again. It is a big relief.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm reading all these comments dating back from November 2020, with the crashing of PS 2021. And, only one reply from an Adobe employee. Who is moniterating this forum? I pay a monthly fee to use PS 2021, and have been unable to even load it. Bridge and Creative Cloud work fine. And, yes, I have done what so many have done with the uninstalling/reinstalling. It has not worked. It's a waste of time, and apparently Adobe doesn't seem to think our time or money is important. I have decided to do a clean install of my Mac Pro, and load Big Sur, in hopes that it will clean out any corrupt files I might have that could be effecting PS2021. But this does not resolve the issue of customer service, of which I'm reading is a poor example. Hopefully, Adobe can and will resolve this issue soon, but it doesn't look like they are in a hurry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the instructions, and it solved my issues, but I feel for those who are going through this. 

I think Adobe's response to this issue is deplorable. When people pay for a subscription service they deserve immediate attention and ongoing solutions to their problems. Aside from Adobe's initial response, I see nothing but dereliction from Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been unable to properly use PS for OVER A YEAR. Read that again. I am having edit my client images in Bridge only, and that crashes half the time too. I've tried everything. Impossible to get help from Adobe. Icredibly frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a mid 2015 macbook pro and updated to catalina and it seems all the adobe products are creating havoc with the 'kernel_task' process. it seem to be associated with the battery or heat issues. can someone help me please? attached is activity monitor window after i launch phtoshop. the number continue to rise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problems and nothing seems to work! Every time there is a update for Apple the CC crash's. This time though is the worst and nothing is working to fix it. Why is this problem NOT being taken care of? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@janietik , This message thread kind of died off in mid May, and there were some resolutions embedded in the various responses. 

If you can provide more specifics about your system and the symptoms, then I might be able to offer more specific guidance than 'check the thread'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 2013 Mac Desktop

Processer 2.9 Ghz Qud core Intel core i5

Memory 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3

My Graphics Is NVID GeForce GT 750M 1 GB

I also have a Seagate Backup Plus Drive 1 TB

I have not been able to use Adobe CC for months now due to it crashing at start up.

It wants to continually fix a problem and download the CC again and again and restart my computer.

Every time there is a new Mac IOS update it does this. In the past it would fix it self but run VERY slow.

This last IOS update it will not work at all.

Thank You,
Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @janietik,

The system you have is kind of old, but shouldn't be crashing at startup. Adobe's software 'stack' includes the Creative Cloud Desktop application in addition to our 'point' products, Photoshop, Illustrator or whichever apps you use.

Startup now kicks off processes that span the desktop app and the point products, and if you've been stuck for a while with several versions of Adobe software not working properly, I'm thinking it could be a good time to do a clean install of the desktop app and point products. Follow the directions here to see if a new desktop app install gets you working: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop automatically updated, and now it crashes on my Macbook Pro. I will open a file and then when I try to do something it crashes. I've tried uninstalling, and reinstalling and restrating my Mac. Anyone have any clues as to why? Or what I can do to fix this? I use Photoshop all the time and this is really hindering my work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Photoshop 2020 keeps crashing on your computer when opening a file. 

Would you mind resetting the preferences of Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut: Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.

Also, make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet! That worked. Thank you for the help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem. When I launch Photoshop2020 it launches the start page and stops responding. This happened with mojave so I updated to Catalina (15.5) and the problem persists. I tried the solution above but it still won't work.

Any other suggestions?

kabii

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hii. i have the same problem with your photoshop. did you have solved the problem? please tell me, it sucks i can't finish my work 😭

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying this solution several times, uninstalling, restarting, reinstalling, the problem continues. I launched Photoshop from terminal and this is where it seems to get stuck :

Creating new log file at: /Users/.../Library/Logs/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop 2020//ACPL__2020-06-13_20-19-26-631592-+0200_00.log
2020-06-13 20:19:27.166 Adobe Photoshop 2020[1486:29783] Reachability Flag Status: xR ------- networkStatusForFlags
<4792643008> <DynamicLink> <5> Attempting to launch dynamiclinkmanager
<4792643008> <DynamicLink> <5> /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2020/Adobe Photoshop 2020.app/Contents/MacOS/DynamicLinkMediaServer/dynamiclinkmanager.app

<4792643008> <DynamicLink> <5> Increase wait time to 32

Repeated alerts popped up, I cancelled each, and eventually they went away, and after about 5 minutes it finally responded and i was able to open a file.

Terminal added this

objc[1543]: Class HTTPHeader is implemented in both /Library/Application Support/Adobe/AdobeGCClient/AdobeGCClient.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeGCClient (0x1064e74f0) and /Library/Application Support/Adobe/AdobeGCClient/HDPIM.dylib (0x1099a1890). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
objc[1543]: Class ProxyManager is implemented in both /Library/Application Support/Adobe/AdobeGCClient/AdobeGCClient.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeGCClient (0x1064e7540) and /Library/Application Support/Adobe/AdobeGCClient/HDPIM.dylib (0x1099a18e0). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
*** GPU Warning: GPU model is black-listed for GPU3. ***
objc[1486]: Class CertificateVerifier is implemented in both /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2020/Adobe Photoshop 2020.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop 2020 (0x1130ae9d8) and /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Desktop Common/LCC/imshelper.dylib (0x216b43648). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
[0613/202949.508124:ERROR:local_storage_context_mojo.cc(706)] Lost connection to database
logout.
I can now start it up, but it takes a long, long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still won't work, keep closing down again. what should i do next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, seems many people are experiecing the exact same issue... Dear Adobe devellopers, please do something, this represents working hours going to the bin....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with Photoshop and InDesign. Adobe are not helping me on the chat and none of the simple fixes in the trouble shooting guide are doing anything. Both programmes crash and close within the first few seconds when I open them and i can't work! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the solution that is given in this thread when I initially asked? That worked for me. If not you may want to try uninstalling and reinstalling. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have tried the solution but it kept crashing. But now my photoshop is working, i don't know how. A couple days later, i just tried to open a psd file, and it's working. 
sorry if it's not helping 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines