Photoshop 2021: Delete layer doesn't delete the whole layer if the mask is selected

Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

How to off new feature?

Now for deleting layer i should press "Delete" twice - first for mask, second for layer. How can I fix that? I need deleting layer and mask together.

Clicking on the layer and pressing the Delete key now deletes only the mask because the mask is active. in PS 2020 it deleted the layer even when the mask was selected.

Please FIX. It is a huge workflow change!

Thank you.

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop 2021: Delete layer doesn't delete the whole layer if the mask is selected

Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

How to off new feature?

Now for deleting layer i should press "Delete" twice - first for mask, second for layer. How can I fix that? I need deleting layer and mask together.

Clicking on the layer and pressing the Delete key now deletes only the mask because the mask is active. in PS 2020 it deleted the layer even when the mask was selected.

Please FIX. It is a huge workflow change!

Thank you.

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 06, 2020 0
Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Clicking on the layer and pressing the Delete key now deletes only the mask because the mask is active.«

Clicking on a Layer’s icon selects the Layer for me (and a subqequent delete removes Layer and Mask). 

So what are you doing exactly? Please post meaningful screenshots. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2020 0
Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking on the layer and pressing the Delete key now deletes only the mask because the mask is active by default in PS 2020 it deleted the layer even when the mask was selected.
If i have to select the Layer's icon before, this does require two actions instead of one before. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2020 0
Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot confirm your claim and where are the screenshots I asked for? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2020 0
Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The behavior depends on whether it's a pixel layer or an adjustment layer. Assuming you click on the neutral gray bar (not any of the icons):

• a pixel layer will have the pixel content targeted, and Delete will delete the whole layer.
  • an adjustment layer will always have the mask targeted, and Delete will delete the mask only.

If you want consistent behavior it might be a better habit to just drag the layer to the trash icon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2020 1
Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if the OP would have posted the requested screenshots it would have become clear what kinds of Layers they were going on about … 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2020 0
D Fosse LATEST
Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, well, it is actually a bit confusing. And even this is nothing, just wait until you turn on "auto-select layers"...then it descends into total chaos... 😄

Sometimes you need to delete the whole layer, sometimes just the mask. I have found that it eliminates all confusion if you just drag to the trash icon instead of using the Delete key.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2020 1