• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2021 freezes when using Select Color Range

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the latest 2021 version of Photoshop, I'm having an issue where the program stops working when using Select Color Range.  The tool opens, but then everything freezes when the Range or Fuzziness sliders are moved.  The only option is to Force Quit the program. 

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

Details:

Hardware: Late 2013 iMac

Operating System: Catalina 10.15.7

Processor:  i7 with 24GB of memory

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M with 2GB of VRAM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

The problem seems to be Photoshop's rulers. Turn them off and Select Color Range operates as expected. I found the answer here and it worked for me. I hope that solution works for everyone else too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So sorry to hear that you are having this issue! There have been quite a few since the latest update. Here is a help doc that gives you some workarounds to some of the known issues: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles

The issue you mentioned isn't listed, but in the Program Errors section it gives the steps to turning off your Graphics Card. Try that first, and let us know if that fixes the problem? 

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I went through the steps as described and found the following:

1) With the graphics card turned off under the Performance tab, Photoshop opens the photo much more slowly with only the grey canvas showing for perhaps 30 seconds. But once open, all tools appear to work based on some initial testing.

2) With the graphics card turned on and set to the recommended settings per the help doc, the problem still occured,

3) Since my usual workflow is to export the photo from Lightroom Classic (also the updated version) to edit in Photoshop, I closed Lightroom and opened the photo for editing directly from Photoshop. With the graphics card still active, the Select Color Range now works althought with much lag. I found the same situation when closing LR after exporting the photo to PS.

It appears that one or both of the updated programs are now consuming more resources from the graphics card than it can handle when both are open. My workaround will be to close LR when editing in PS and hope that this is somehow addressed through program updates. I guess it may also be time to accelerate the computer refresh cycle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the sampe problem.  Using Select|Color Range, the sliders have a huge lag.  After a couple of slider moves,  the program completely freezes and I'm required to do a 'Force Quit'.  I'm sorry but the document your referenced here does not address the problem for me.  Nor does turning the graphics card off or on.  This started with the 22.0 update and I've waited for this to be fixed.  I'm now running the 22.1.0 update and it still remains a problem. When is Adobe going to fix this problem?

I'm running macOS Calalina 10.15.7 on a mid 2014 macbook pro with 16GB and nVidia GeForce GT 750M 2GB graphics.

Since the 21.0 update, LR and PS is extremely buggy.  I don't even know where to report bugs.  Adobe should make fixing software errors a priority over new features.  Otherwise they are adding more bugs and user poblems faster than they can fix them.  These recent updates ARE TERRIBLE.  I'm more interested in making the basic program work as intended over new features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I go to select color range and as soon as I start moving sliders it just hangs up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Here is a thread that I thought you might be interested in, answered by one of the Adobe team: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/m-program-error-while-opening-or-creating-new-document-afte...

And to confirm your thoughts about the Graphics Processor Card, here is more informaion about the GPC: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Let us know how it's going?

Thanks!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michelle,

Thanks for following up.  Based on the information you've provided, my video card does meet the minimum requirements.  And, as I said above, I've now found that the Select Color Range tool does work (with some lag) as long as Photoshop is the only program that's open.  However, if I also have Lightroom open, then the freezing issue occurs.  I believe it is a common scenario to make initial edits in Lightroom and to then export the photo into Photoshop for additional work. You might want to confirm that the Adobe team is testing Photoshop 2021 under this scenario of having both programs open simultaneously. They might then find that their stated minimum Graphics Processor standard is insufficient or perhaps there are tweaks they can make within the program to mitigate the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue with sliding the color range. The selection tool always worked like a charm, untill latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this problem.  Macbook is only a year old, so should be able to handle this?

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 13.35.31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(I am not running Lightroom, but do have Spotify and Chrome open, but this is 2020 and that should be possible?!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Adobe, please address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue computer is less than a year old. Adobe, get it together. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same problem, moving the range slider beyond half way freezes PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Hard crash of Photoshop on any photo about 70% of the time when I touch the "fuzziness" slider on Color Range. Worked fine on PS 2020 and previous on the same machine. Tried with about 5-6 images, and each of them exhibited this bug.

2018 Macbook Pro, Vega 16 graphics card. OS Version: Mojave (current point release)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem! My temporary solution is to write in the amount for fuzziness and range, and this seems to work. It's when you move the sliders that PS will freeze instantly.

/Karl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I recently updated to v22.0.1, but the HUD issue (https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/brush-red-overlay-is-missing/td-p/9506412?page=2) compelled me to revert to v22.0. That's when the problem began for me. The only program open besides PS is Outlook.

iMac.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing this issue. Photoshop version 22.0.1 on MacOS Big Sur (it was still happening on Mojave), I need to force quit Photoshop and reopen it to get any response for the program. 

My workflow is drawing on my iPad then colour correcting on my laptop so I use Select Colour Range a lot, very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I am experiencing the same issue,  the problem is not with the hardware for sure, but seemed to occur on Mac only, sometimes I can do it though, I even got the habit to save before using colour range selection. 
Well, I wish you guys will solve the problem as soon as possible please because using channels is just sometimes a possibility. 

Thank you in advance, 

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Same issue here.

Select Color Range it halting, anf finaly I've to force to quit, and start again...

MacBook Pro 2018 with Radeon Vega 20, Mojave

Thank you for any help.

Didier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. It's December 10. This was posted October 29. How long will it take to fix this?Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 10.05.39 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto @americaninventive!! Super annoying and should have been fixed by now 😐

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 1.33.54 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure it will be fixed as soon as Adobe finishes tweaking the all-important neural filters, like making someone look 20 years older. It's a matter of priorities!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same issue here. New MacBook bought just two months ago, pretty good specs. And Adobe is trying to suggest it happens because we have weak computers instead of solving the problem - so typical... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines