Highlighted

Photoshop 2021 freezes when using Select Color Range

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the latest 2021 version of Photoshop, I'm having an issue where the program stops working when using Select Color Range.  The tool opens, but then everything freezes when the Range or Fuzziness sliders are moved.  The only option is to Force Quit the program. 

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

Details:

Hardware: Late 2013 iMac

Operating System: Catalina 10.15.7

Processor:  i7 with 24GB of memory

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M with 2GB of VRAM

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop 2021 freezes when using Select Color Range

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the latest 2021 version of Photoshop, I'm having an issue where the program stops working when using Select Color Range.  The tool opens, but then everything freezes when the Range or Fuzziness sliders are moved.  The only option is to Force Quit the program. 

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

Details:

Hardware: Late 2013 iMac

Operating System: Catalina 10.15.7

Processor:  i7 with 24GB of memory

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M with 2GB of VRAM

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 29, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So sorry to hear that you are having this issue! There have been quite a few since the latest update. Here is a help doc that gives you some workarounds to some of the known issues: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles

The issue you mentioned isn't listed, but in the Program Errors section it gives the steps to turning off your Graphics Card. Try that first, and let us know if that fixes the problem? 

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I went through the steps as described and found the following:

1) With the graphics card turned off under the Performance tab, Photoshop opens the photo much more slowly with only the grey canvas showing for perhaps 30 seconds. But once open, all tools appear to work based on some initial testing.

2) With the graphics card turned on and set to the recommended settings per the help doc, the problem still occured,

3) Since my usual workflow is to export the photo from Lightroom Classic (also the updated version) to edit in Photoshop, I closed Lightroom and opened the photo for editing directly from Photoshop. With the graphics card still active, the Select Color Range now works althought with much lag. I found the same situation when closing LR after exporting the photo to PS.

It appears that one or both of the updated programs are now consuming more resources from the graphics card than it can handle when both are open. My workaround will be to close LR when editing in PS and hope that this is somehow addressed through program updates. I guess it may also be time to accelerate the computer refresh cycle...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I go to select color range and as soon as I start moving sliders it just hangs up. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Here is a thread that I thought you might be interested in, answered by one of the Adobe team: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/m-program-error-while-opening-or-creating-new-document-afte...

And to confirm your thoughts about the Graphics Processor Card, here is more informaion about the GPC: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Let us know how it's going?

Thanks!

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michelle,

Thanks for following up.  Based on the information you've provided, my video card does meet the minimum requirements.  And, as I said above, I've now found that the Select Color Range tool does work (with some lag) as long as Photoshop is the only program that's open.  However, if I also have Lightroom open, then the freezing issue occurs.  I believe it is a common scenario to make initial edits in Lightroom and to then export the photo into Photoshop for additional work. You might want to confirm that the Adobe team is testing Photoshop 2021 under this scenario of having both programs open simultaneously. They might then find that their stated minimum Graphics Processor standard is insufficient or perhaps there are tweaks they can make within the program to mitigate the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same problem

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this problem.  Macbook is only a year old, so should be able to handle this?

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 13.35.31.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(I am not running Lightroom, but do have Spotify and Chrome open, but this is 2020 and that should be possible?!)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2020 0