Highlighted

Photoshop 2021 is very disappointing - Performance issues using the app on macOS

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 2021 has problesms. First of all it is slow in so many ways. Perfoming almost any kind of action, whether opening a filter or using the Save As command involves a small wait. It seems that you also spend a great deal of time watching the gray screen of not-yet-redrawn images whenever you've made the tiniest change. The Save command is incredibly slow. I Quit the program and started up PS 2020 and all the slowness issues I have just described disappeared, leading me to believe that the issue is Photoshop 2021 and not my system. Today was the first time I've used the newest version of this astounding program, and I ws using it in the fast production method that is normal to my workfow. Having a batch of images open, I was forced to wait for EVERYTHING! I think I'll wait for several more updates until I resume trying to work with this bloated monster of a program. All of the hype, all of the amazing new features aren't worth anything until the program can begin to function in a reasonably quick manner! I am very disappointed with this version of Photoshop!

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Mac, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop 2021 is very disappointing - Performance issues using the app on macOS

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 2021 has problesms. First of all it is slow in so many ways. Perfoming almost any kind of action, whether opening a filter or using the Save As command involves a small wait. It seems that you also spend a great deal of time watching the gray screen of not-yet-redrawn images whenever you've made the tiniest change. The Save command is incredibly slow. I Quit the program and started up PS 2020 and all the slowness issues I have just described disappeared, leading me to believe that the issue is Photoshop 2021 and not my system. Today was the first time I've used the newest version of this astounding program, and I ws using it in the fast production method that is normal to my workfow. Having a batch of images open, I was forced to wait for EVERYTHING! I think I'll wait for several more updates until I resume trying to work with this bloated monster of a program. All of the hype, all of the amazing new features aren't worth anything until the program can begin to function in a reasonably quick manner! I am very disappointed with this version of Photoshop!

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Mac, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 10, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop 2021. Would you mind telling us which macOS version are you working on and share some details about your computer's configuration?

You can try optimizing the preferences of Photoshop using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

You can also try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been commercially using photoshop since 1996, in fact most of the adobe software suite. Photoshop has been getting slower and slower with every update and addition of new (often bloated) features. I think i have tried every optimisation tip on the internet and on the adobe forums to try and get some performance back, but the fact is Adobe have destroyed this software and are destroying user's workflows.

I have uninstalled cleaned and reinstalled all my adobe apps as fresh, cleaned fonts, tried all the different settings to no avail. I have just paid for and installed Affinity Photo to sanity check my computer. It opens a PSD fine and runs quickly and exactly as Photoshop used to run years ago. It pains me to say it but my days of devotion to Adobe are running out and it is wasn't for clients providing files from Photoshop I think i would can it all together. The fact I am paying an expensive yearly subscription for unworkable software is frankly offensive. Adobe have to fix these performance issues asap or should start offering refunds.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry you feel that way.  That said,  if you were using PS since '96,  you'd know that the subscription costs so much less than it did when you had to actually buy a copy of PS.  I mean, I had to rely on my student discount in order to afford it.  I'd much rather pay $10-20 a month (depending on what PS plan) for Photoshop, than paying $1,000 for the program.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I originally thought I had a performance issue,  brushes were lagging.  It was until I turned off the rulers.  Once I did that,  it works amazingly

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have lagg too on new PS version! when i move coursor to top menu (file, edit...) text is missing for1-2 seconds! resizing images are laggy too (in older version  check option "older composition" help but now this option is missing.

i have very fast pc with 64gb ram, i9, 2070s and PS run terrible after update. please help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
Gravois LATEST
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct that PS is alot cheaper now than it was, but its a false economy to justify a huge slowdown in workflow by implying its ok because the software is cheaper. We probably all learnt to use PS as students, but this is a professional application (or at least thats' how Adobe would like us to view it as.) As a professional I'd rather pay more as a one off if I could have it's old performance back. By comparison Affinity only cost £40 as a one off and is much quicker as far as I can tell. Thats what Adobe have to respond to, a competitive market. I feel I'm a loyal customer forced to look elsewhere, and watse time hunting around forums for fixes and glitches. The "rulers fix" I've also tried, it makes minimal difference. However I would say how farcicle it sounds if the only way to get a premium Mac piece of software to run efficienly is to switch off something as basic as a set of rulers. "Photoshop, cutting edge visual editing *(just don't touch the rulers...).  If there is a serious performance issue with Adobe's ruler rendering engine it should either be fixed or removed. The "rulers fix" has been around for at least the last couple of versions. Anyone searching for "photoshop lag" will find endless complaints about performance over the last few years. It's simply not good enough to keep polishing the preverbial imo.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0