• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop crashes and freezes

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever I try, which ever update I try, the latest PS will only start up with a beach ball and that ever since version 22.x

On a MBA 2020 Big Sur 11.4 I7 16GB

What I tried:

- deleted preferences

- uninstalled and reinstalled

- reverted to version 21.X well that worked but updating results in the same crash.

What to do next?

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Hi all,

We're sorry for the crash issue. Take a look at the following troubleshooting article and try the first 6 simple steps that can help you resolve most of the crash and freeze issues with Photoshop:  Troubleshoot crash or freeze | Photoshop

If that doesn't help then, take a look at the other troubleshooting tips section.

Let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

I have students who are running into the same problems.

Does anyone know where I can find this script to run on a Windows PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 332 Replies 332
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so i did install and been using the earlier version (2020) for some weeks now.
the crashing issue started again and i don't know why. it's very frustrating and tiring.
currently running ver. 21.2.4 

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with Photoshop crashing unexpectedly ever since updating to PS 2021, no matter what updtes Adobe come up with, this version 2021 keeps crashing on me. I have deleted the preferences, un-install PS serveral times but no luck. 

Please Adobe support help us!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues right after installing the newest Photoshop. Reverting versions not helping. Grrr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having the same issues.. any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I have also been experiencing this same issue. I have uninstalled and re-installed the software 5 times, each time I am able to utilize without issue for about 2-3 projects and then it ultimately ends up crashing again (I can't even exit out of the software without task manager). No issues with past versions so I am really confused and frustrated as I use the program all day every day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same.  The entire work day was wasted.  keeps crashing whoi;le loading...while working...and noticebly while trying to use the filter 'oil paint' tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jenjoan

Which version of Photoshop and OS?

How much RAM and spare disk capacity do you have?

Have you tried resetting your Photoshop preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine updated yesterday to v22.4 which is compatiable with my PC. I was hoping for a bug fix that Adobe are working on to recognise the graphics card, as some are not being recognised. However the app now opens and within a few seconds crashes. Tried this a few times and it is the same each time. hoping Adobe sort this out quickly plus resolve the not recognising come graphics cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, no one is going to like this answer but this is the only way I got Photoshop to work properly on my 2014 iMac. I did a clean wipe of my computer and reset it to factory default. Then reinstalled Photoshop. So far no problems for a week now. It is a painful process but not as painful as losing work every 10 minutes. Took about 5 hours to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is seriously driving me up the wall!! I've lost so much work with this issue and so much time in trying to fix it (searching these forums and seraching web for answers). Adobe Help is pretty much non-existent, which is very poor for a supposedly leading light in the industry. Is there no way to chat to any assistants or advisors?

I have the lastest updates for Photoshop and my iMac (27" 5K which is only about 3 years old). I wish I'd stayed with Catlina and my Photoshop 2019, which I can't even revert to now 'cos I can't find it in Creative Cloud.

I've been using Photoshop for over 20 years, but, as an artist, I'm seriously thinking of moving on to pro-create or some such. Dreadful experience!

I'd appreciate any help, though by the looks of things, no-one has solved this problem.

Thanks,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I assume you're on MAC Big Sur, a lot of people appear to be having issues with Photoshop on Big Sur, can't really help you out as I'm not a MAC user, you could revert the OS to Catalina and install CC 2019 from here CC 2019 has not been tested on Big Sur

Considering you're an artist have you checked out Krita it's completely free

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the reply and the links!

Yes, Im using Big Sur. I think I may have fixed the problem of it crashing, but I'll wait and see. I updated my Wacom tablet and it's not crashed since, so fingers crossed. But now the Move Tool in PS is acting up!! Lol.

Krita looks really good. I think I'll be downloading it and having ago.

Again, thank you for taking the time. Much appreciated 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things to try for the move tool issue, first resetting the Tools

2020-12-05 13_44_12-SFTW122MountainsandLake.psd @ 33.3% (Layer 1, RGB_8_).png

If that doesn't fix the issue try a preference reset, you should backup any custom settings you have beforehand

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

2020-12-05 13_43_05-Preferences.png

Krita will be a learning curve but there's plenty of tutorials online and you're welcome 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again!

The move tool thing was a case of unticking ‘Auto-Select’ and ticking ‘Show Transform Controls’. That did the trick, but I see just now it’s reverted to how it was before, so I’ve had to tick and untick those things again. Bizarre.

Oh, and Photoshop is crashing again! I don’t know what the answer is, but it’s SO frustrating! I really hope Adobe look into it and get it sorted soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an update to anyone interested or having the same problem, the latest Photoshop update from 8/12/20 hasn't solved the issue, neither has the latest Big Sur update from a few weeks afterwards. I was going to try the Adobe Cleaner as mentioned in another thread, but I can't even access the Apps tab in Creative Cloud to uninstall Photoshop!! For days now it has been saying 'page unavailable'. Terrible service 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

A bit late to the thread, but I have Catalina installed and PS 2021 and the problem persists. 

have tried everything I can with buffers and cache but the fan still kicks in too quickly and I start to see the Purple Drag lines with the brush tool and as expected, it all falls apart!

The only way I can anything out of PS these days is to do regular complete shutdowns of the Mac a start. and I always decline the system from reopening any apps that were shut as a result of the shutdown!

Like the original OP, been using this for 15+ Years and its driving me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue since updating to Photoshop 2021, no matter what updates Photoshop puts out it still crashes unexpectedly. I am running the latest BigSur 11.1. It is virtually impossible to work, I need help please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop would NOT open and then told me to uninstall and reinstall which took forever! (still not done). I did not have BigSur at the time. I eventually updated to BigSur thinking that that might've contributed to the issue but no. Since it wasn't working on my MAC I decided to downloaded onto my desktop. IT IS STILL CRASHING. A few seconds after I open a new canvas it crashes. THIS IS RIDICULOUS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Camille,

We're sorry for the crash issue. Which Photoshop version do you have installed? Could you please submit the crash logs to Adobe along with your email address? It helps us to analyze the issue and finds the root cause. Here's how you submit the crash logs: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html

Also, are you using any 3rd party plugins in Photoshop?

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I report all the crashed, have Photoshop up to the latest version, my mac is runing the laatest OS and no matter what new version PS2021 comes out with, PS unexpectedly quits on me all the time. There are tons of people on this forum with the same problem, I jsut can't believe Adobe is not been able to figure out a global fix for all of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Thanks for the update and really sorry for all the trouble caused you. Have updated the macOS to 11.2.2? If yes, may I know the outcome?

Also, on what step, Photoshop is crashing for you? Please share your email address with me over a private message so that I can check the submitted crash logs.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

On my PC photoshop would crash whenever I tried to transform an image.
On my MAC I updated to the latest version and it works now. It just took a
lot of trials to update and redownload everything. There was always an
issue with creative cloud that wouldn't allow me to download the photoshop
app. Creative cloud would take too long to download and update itself. I
had to remove and redownload the program multiple times. When it
finally fully loaded I had the same issue trying to get the photoshop app
to download fully. Eventually it did it but this was after day three of
attempting to get this resolved. I had to also make sure all of the
previous downloads were removed from the system completely before
downloading was successful.

The e-mail linked is camille.a.acosta@gmail.com. It has the initial crash
reportings but after it kept having the same issue I stopped sending the
crash reports.

Thanks,
Camille

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reset preferences (turn off the Graphics Processor in PS and set/reset PS privacy/security settings). Photoshop still crashes everytime I try to crop. I am running Big Sur OS and Photoshop 2021. This is untenable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the same is happening to me.  It crashes about 5 minutes in everytime I've had to reopen and often lose my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the crash issue. Could you please turn off the Graphics Processor from the Photoshop preferences > Performance tab > relaunch Photoshop and check if that helps to resolve the crash problem. Also,  submit the crash report along with your email address. Here's the article for the steps: https://adobe.ly/38U5QKP 

Let us know the outcome.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines