Photoshop 2021 Keeps Crashing!!!!

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is seriously driving me up the wall!! I've lost so much work with this issue and so much time in trying to fix it (searching these forums and seraching web for answers). Adobe Help is pretty much non-existent, which is very poor for a supposedly leading light in the industry. Is there no way to chat to any assistants or advisors?

I have the lastest updates for Photoshop and my iMac (27" 5K which is only about 3 years old). I wish I'd stayed with Catlina and my Photoshop 2019, which I can't even revert to now 'cos I can't find it in Creative Cloud.

I've been using Photoshop for over 20 years, but, as an artist, I'm seriously thinking of moving on to pro-create or some such. Dreadful experience!

I'd appreciate any help, though by the looks of things, no-one has solved this problem.

Thanks,

Jim

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I assume you're on MAC Big Sur, a lot of people appear to be having issues with Photoshop on Big Sur, can't really help you out as I'm not a MAC user, you could revert the OS to Catalina and install CC 2019 from here CC 2019 has not been tested on Big Sur

Considering you're an artist have you checked out Krita it's completely free

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the reply and the links!

Yes, Im using Big Sur. I think I may have fixed the problem of it crashing, but I'll wait and see. I updated my Wacom tablet and it's not crashed since, so fingers crossed. But now the Move Tool in PS is acting up!! Lol.

Krita looks really good. I think I'll be downloading it and having ago.

Again, thank you for taking the time. Much appreciated 🙂

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things to try for the move tool issue, first resetting the Tools

2020-12-05 13_44_12-SFTW122MountainsandLake.psd @ 33.3% (Layer 1, RGB_8_).png

If that doesn't fix the issue try a preference reset, you should backup any custom settings you have beforehand

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

2020-12-05 13_43_05-Preferences.png

Krita will be a learning curve but there's plenty of tutorials online and you're welcome 🙂

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again!

The move tool thing was a case of unticking ‘Auto-Select’ and ticking ‘Show Transform Controls’. That did the trick, but I see just now it’s reverted to how it was before, so I’ve had to tick and untick those things again. Bizarre.

Oh, and Photoshop is crashing again! I don’t know what the answer is, but it’s SO frustrating! I really hope Adobe look into it and get it sorted soon.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an update to anyone interested or having the same problem, the latest Photoshop update from 8/12/20 hasn't solved the issue, neither has the latest Big Sur update from a few weeks afterwards. I was going to try the Adobe Cleaner as mentioned in another thread, but I can't even access the Apps tab in Creative Cloud to uninstall Photoshop!! For days now it has been saying 'page unavailable'. Terrible service 😕

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue since updating to Photoshop 2021, no matter what updates Photoshop puts out it still crashes unexpectedly. I am running the latest BigSur 11.1. It is virtually impossible to work, I need help please.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop would NOT open and then told me to uninstall and reinstall which took forever! (still not done). I did not have BigSur at the time. I eventually updated to BigSur thinking that that might've contributed to the issue but no. Since it wasn't working on my MAC I decided to downloaded onto my desktop. IT IS STILL CRASHING. A few seconds after I open a new canvas it crashes. THIS IS RIDICULOUS

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Camille,

We're sorry for the crash issue. Which Photoshop version do you have installed? Could you please submit the crash logs to Adobe along with your email address? It helps us to analyze the issue and finds the root cause. Here's how you submit the crash logs: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html

Also, are you using any 3rd party plugins in Photoshop?

Regards,

Mohit

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I report all the crashed, have Photoshop up to the latest version, my mac is runing the laatest OS and no matter what new version PS2021 comes out with, PS unexpectedly quits on me all the time. There are tons of people on this forum with the same problem, I jsut can't believe Adobe is not been able to figure out a global fix for all of us.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Thanks for the update and really sorry for all the trouble caused you. Have updated the macOS to 11.2.2? If yes, may I know the outcome?

Also, on what step, Photoshop is crashing for you? Please share your email address with me over a private message so that I can check the submitted crash logs.

Thanks,

Mohit

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

On my PC photoshop would crash whenever I tried to transform an image.
On my MAC I updated to the latest version and it works now. It just took a
lot of trials to update and redownload everything. There was always an
issue with creative cloud that wouldn't allow me to download the photoshop
app. Creative cloud would take too long to download and update itself. I
had to remove and redownload the program multiple times. When it
finally fully loaded I had the same issue trying to get the photoshop app
to download fully. Eventually it did it but this was after day three of
attempting to get this resolved. I had to also make sure all of the
previous downloads were removed from the system completely before
downloading was successful.

The e-mail linked is camille.a.acosta@gmail.com. It has the initial crash
reportings but after it kept having the same issue I stopped sending the
crash reports.

Thanks,
Camille

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reset preferences (turn off the Graphics Processor in PS and set/reset PS privacy/security settings). Photoshop still crashes everytime I try to crop. I am running Big Sur OS and Photoshop 2021. This is untenable.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the same is happening to me.  It crashes about 5 minutes in everytime I've had to reopen and often lose my work.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the crash issue. Could you please turn off the Graphics Processor from the Photoshop preferences > Performance tab > relaunch Photoshop and check if that helps to resolve the crash problem. Also,  submit the crash report along with your email address. Here's the article for the steps: https://adobe.ly/38U5QKP 

Let us know the outcome.

Thanks,

Mohit

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohit, thanks for trying to help, but I’m still getting nowhere with this problem. As a result, I’ve barely used Photoshop for the last 3 months, which is annoying seeing as though I’m paying every month to have it.

Anyway, I’ve updated both Photoshop and my iMac OS a number of times to the latest versions; I’ve tried running the Creative Cloud Cleaner (I saw that recommended in another thread); I’ve turned off the Graphics Processor, as you’ve suggested, but it still keeps crashing!! Every time it crashes I get a coloured spinning wheel and I have to force quit, so there’s no option to see what the crash log is (which, following the steps from the link you provided, is enabled).

As an artist who uses Photoshop regularly to paint with, this problem is BEYOND annoying and, as a result, I’ve gotten very little done since Christmas. It seems there are a number of other people who are sadly having the same trouble.

Hope you can help,

Jim

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is beyond ridiculous ADOBE!! Shame on you for putting your long-time customer's livelihoods at risk during a time when so many creatives are barely able to make ends meet. The creative community made you what you are, and you have us out in the cold. We are all experiencing the very same issues of the app crashing every few minutes or even seconds from trying to do the same simple tasks I used to do. Picking a color? Crash. Using the pencil tool? Crash. It's not our systems, it's your app! It was working fine before the latest versions! Months of payments sent in for an unusable product!! I repeat. Months of payments sent in for an unusable product!! You are ruining any brand loyalty you had left each and every day this problem persists. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel the same way!  Come on Adobe.  WTF!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having this issue and have submitted crash reports. No GPU selected and have uninstalled and reinstalled. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried cropping seven different photos and each time Phooshop crashes! Is there a fix???

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is nearly useless for me as well.

Windows 10, Photoshop 22.3, uninstalled/reinstalled.

I can open a jpg, but the moment I try to crop, PS freezes. Today I was able to erase a good portion of a background, yet as I was nearing completion, PS crashed entirely. I can't access Preferences. Any Preference selection I try to make gives me an error message "Could not complete the General command because of a program error", etc.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain. I have chatted with adobe help and had them take over my computer to fix creative cloud which kept logging me in and out or crashing all together over and over for 2 weeks. That fix lasted only one week and here I am again searching for a way to fix this... it's really unacceptable. It's costing me time and money as a freelance graphic designer, plus I am also in college again an it's exam time! I seriously do not have 2 hours a day to waste dealing with this over and over again. I am on a Mac with big sur so I hope they get this sorted shortly cause my patience is gone. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very painful.  SO FRUSTRATING

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Big Sur 11.2.3 and Photoshop 2021 was totally up to date (installed latest update) still kept crashing. Have gone back to 2020 21.2.7 version (availible on CC) have also gone back to 2020 in illustrator as 2021 was giving me grief as well. All apps working okay. Clearly 2021 is a complete clusterf**k. More a work around so I can at least get some work done - certainly not a fix or what we are paying for. Seems the best idea may be to wait until 2022 is released then move up to 2021...... : /

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, uninstalled 2021 version as it is way too unstable. Keeps crashing during random moments, losing progress. I feel like Adobe is too busy adding features instead of fixing bugs / making the core perform.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines