• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2021 reverts kerning to optical when a text box is applied, even when using a tool preset

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded photoshop so I was wondering if there was some new setting to turn this off, or if it''s a known issue with this years PS and I should just uninstall and reinstall an earlier version? It used to never revert to metrics once optical was set, so to do it only after a text box is created is incredibly frustrating, given that I would have to go back to each layer per page and change it, increasing my worktime by ages.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bentoki wrote:

"Photoshop 2021 reverts kerning to optical"

"It used to never revert to metrics once optical was set,"

This isn't happening for me, but I always use Paragraph and Character styles. Are you using styles or is everything locally formatted?

Please clarify what you mean when you say "pages", which Photoshop does not have?

You've said the kerning reverts to optical and to metrics, so is one a typo?

I just tested this, but Save first, then try this:

• Multiple select your Type layers (Filter to Type layers first if it helps)
  • Type tool
  • Character panel: Change to Optical (or Metrics if I guessed wrong)

All the selected layers will change to Optical, leaving the other formatting in place.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't use paragraph styles, only tool presets but with optical selected, I make a text box and it automatically goes to metrics. By pages I just meant psd's. I know that I can obviously select all layers and choose optical, but that's an extra step that I never used to have to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines