• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 21.0.0 won't save over previous file... it creates a copy instead

Enthusiast ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I just upgraded to Photoshop 21.0.0 yesterday. And it's doing an odd thing. I'm sure it's a preference, but I'm not sure what to look for to change it. 

Here's the issue: I created a .psd image. I saved it as a jpg file. I needed to edit it, so I opened the .psd file, made changes, then wanted to save over the jpg file. It asks me if I want to replace it... I say yes... and it saves it. But... it saves it as a copy... it does NOT save over the original as I'd asked it to. 

How do I change this? Thanks so much! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That's strange as your PSD files are not getting overwritten instead a new file is getting saved. 

Are you on Windows or Mac OS? Could you please turn on the Legacy Compositing option in Performance preferences?
Choose Edit > Preferences > Performance (Windows) or Photoshop > Preferences > Performance (macOS). Select Legacy Compositing. Quit and relaunch Photoshop.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have this exact problem. Unfortunately the given solution did not work (after turning on legacy compositing, tried restarting just photoshop, tried restarting entire computer to be safe). Currently on Mac OS Catalina 10.15.1, and have had the issue with at least the past few updates of PS.

All I have to show for my troubleshooting is that the problem does not occur if the PSD file only contains 1 layer (doesn't need flattening); the replacement works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both so much for your replies! I'm on a Mac... and this problem occured when I upgraded to the Catalina OS. I did a test, and sure enough I'm experiencing the same thing that susans48932590 has. It works as expected when I am saving a flattened image. It saves over the image I'm trying to replace. But when I have an image with layers and I try to replace another image... it creates a copy, even after I tell it to replace the image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried setting that Legacy composting setting... but that didn't help. But thanks for the suggestion! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legacy composting has been removed - that's the message I get when I open up the Performance tab. So any other ideas on how to solve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would have hoped this problem would have been resolved by now. It's a time suck. Not a huge one, but they add up. It's annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STRANGE ..... and you work for Adobe, dear sir this has been going on since 2019 its the end of 2020 dec 15 to be exact the version that STILL does this 2021 adobe 22.0.0 and i stopped along with a few others updating since this still has not been addressed..... as for your suggestion ... in the preference in photoshop the legacy compositing has been removed SO guess that wasnt the issue after all . PLEASE READ AND FIX THIS MAJOR ISSUE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legacy compositing has nothing to do with this.

The reason you get a copy is because the jpeg specification is extremely limited. Almost anything you can do to a file in Photoshop is outside the jpeg specification. It's not supported. So it can't be saved directly to jpeg, it has to be saved as a copy with the "offending" properties removed or simplified to fit the jpeg format.

(That also means you still have an unsaved original PSD, after the jpeg copy has been saved out.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, D_Fosse. Why is it just happening now? It's never done this before. So something changed... was it Photoshop or the jpg specifications? If it was Photoshop, then surely they can fix it back to the way it was? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has always worked this way. If your file has layers but opened as a jpeg, you can not save back over the jpeg. You have to flatten the file first, save a copy, or export a jpeg back over the original. This is not new behavior. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not understanding that. If my file has layers, it's not a jpg... so I'm not opening it as a jpg file. It's probably a .psd file that I'm opening. In the past, when I opened a .psd file that I wanted to then save as a JPG, I'd just save it as a JPG. Then I'd save the .psd as a .psd so I'd have my editable layers saved. If I already had a jpg by the same name that I wanted to save over... it did that... after asking me if I wanted to replace the original jpg. Now it's asking me if I want to save over that original jpg... I say yes... but it does not save over it. So to me this IS new behaviour. And it is asking me a question but ignoring my answer. That seems like an issue to me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I misunderstood your problem. If you can't save back over a layered PSD file I believe this is an issue with Catalina. I've avoided updating for now because I read about so many problems with it.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/does-photoshop-work-with-catalina/m-p/10654955

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue. I save EPS print files often for work, I make sure to save over the previous one, confirm both the warning dialogs and then Photoshop still saves as a copy leaving the original file intact. I'm using the latest Photoshop 22.2 on Mac OS 11.2.1 Big Sur. This has been an issue for months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

if you save that file without changing the file name it will copy over the file. it is very stupid and needs to be fixed with adobe and apple. example file.psd > saved once file.jpg > resaved file copy.jpg > and if you save it again it will finally save over the file and you will only have > file copy.jpg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines