• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 21.1.1 Many new bugs with Windows Ink API and Wacom tablets

Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, since the latest update forced me to use Windows Ink instead of WinTab, many new bugs regarding my Wacom tablet have turned up. Here are some that I noticed (note that those did not occur in previous versions of Photoshop using the WinTab API):

• Pen tilt detection is not working at all
  • When tweaking brush settings (size, pressure sensitivity etc.), Photoshop randomly selects a different brush about 30% of the time
  • Selection tools, like the polygonal lasso or the magic wand, do not register "klicks" with the pen, only drags (where the end position of the drag defines where it it registered). Works fine with a mouse though.
  • "Klicking" with the pen to draw dots does not draw anything at all, similar to the selection tool issue you have to drag the pen a little in order to draw anything

It is really frustrating that the deprecated support for the old WinTab API (which worked completely fine up until this update) is forcing me to use the Windows Ink API, which is still very buggy compared to what we had before.

My setup:

• Windows 10 Professional, build 1909
  • Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060, driver version 442.59
  • Photoshop 21.1.1
  • Wacom Cintiq 22HD, driver version 6.3.38-2

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the bad experience with the recent Photoshop update, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the wacom drivers and see if that helps?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have completely re-installed the Wacom drivers, the issues persist.

I have double-checked the pen tilt detection: The Wacom diagnostics window shows my pen tilt coordinates when moving the pen, but Photoshop insists that my Tablet does not support pen tilt detection (I get the warning triangle in the corresponding brush preference setting).

Edit: I just notived that if I deactivate the Windows Ink setting "I want to use the pen as a mouse in some desktop apps", Photoshop's warning triangle in the tilt brush settings sometimes disappears, then re-appears shortly after in a random cycle. No changes on the actual brush output regarding pen tilt detection, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it strange the way Photoshop seems to handle Wacom pen tilt.  Using INK with 21.1.1 If I set a brush tip large so I see a large round  cursor brush tip preview and set transfer brush dynamics control to pen tilt. If I  hold the pen perpendicular to the tablet and touch the pen to the tablet the brush is pressure sensitive and round.  If I tilt the pen and touch the tablet with the pen the brush is pressure sensitive and an oval shape.  In the brush setting transfer display I will see the waring triangle come and go. The cursor tip display does not change shape till I touch the tablet with the pen.

With the Tablet and Wacom Tablet  table set the use WinTab PS 21.1.1 works much the same however with The pen above the tablet tilt dynamically changes the shape of the pen tip. The warning triangle in transfer control does not go on an off. However the bottom pen button has problems and the cursor will pop to the top left and cause tools to mess up.  Adobe Broke theirPhotoshop Winter Support in version 21.1.0 and it is still broken in 21.1.1.

So I use INK with 21.1.1 and Wintab with all other version of Photoshop.  I do not use tilt with Photoshop. And Fresco is not compatible with my workstation. It requires directx 12.1 and met Nvidia Quadro device driver only support directx 12.0.

If you want to use Photoshop you need to be able to work around Adobe Bugs.   WinTab works in 21.0.3 and prior Photoshop versions.  However, I do not use tilt with Photoshop so I cam not state if tilt works well with brushes. I'm not a painter

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Pen Tilt does work, however once a stroke has started the brush cursor does not change with the tilt - although the actual drawn brush stroke does follow the pen tilt.

There is an open bug report here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/pen-tilt-partially-unresponsive-since-latest-...

I don't see the issue of changing brushes here nor do I have an issue drawing dots

I use a Wacom Intuos Pro with driver 6.3.36-1

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, Pen tilt does not work at all. No matter the angle I start the brush stroke with, the line always draws as if I come from straight above (90° angle), just as it does with a tablet that has no tilt detection (my old Bamboo tablet).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

This kind of bug of version 21.1.1 does not seem to be specific to Wacom tablets :

I also experiment similar issues with my Huion Q11K : 

Enabling Windows Ink from my Tablet Driver creates unstable brush size selection with the pen but disabling Windows Ink disables the pen pressure.

Achille

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines