Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 21.1 View Screen/Window Freezing - macOS

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My view window keeps freezing in PS 21.1 on 2017 27" iMac. I'll go to zoom or pan and the view will get stuck. Photoshop itself isnt freezing. I can still change tools and it even shows I'm zooming or panning with the scroll bars, but the actual view doesnt change. I can save and reopen and it goes back to normal.

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That does not sound like a typical experience, could you please try resetting the preferences of Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Note: Make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. Migrate presets, actions, and settings

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I deleted preferences and re-installed but still am experiencing the issue.

Photoshop 21.1.0

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 on a iMac 27in, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset prefs and it still happened. 

Catalina 10.15.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

Any other ideas? Are you able to replicated the issue? 

I mostly experience it when I am working with the pen tool and actively drawing a path (zoomed in to an image) where I am using the hand tool (via space) to move around the image. Once again it is only the viewport of the particular image that freeze and no longer updates. Everything else inside the application functions normally (ie when it happens I can still save the document).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is also when I'm using the hand tool via spacebar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. PS 21.1.1 on 27" iMac running Catalina 10.15.3. These random lock-ups (happening daily now) actually still let me save and close the file. But when locked up, I cannot change the view or do any further work with my PS file. When I re-open the file, all is back to normal. I often have multiple windows opened simultaneously and when one locks up, the other window(s) still function normally. There is a definite glitch going on here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing the same problem when zoomed in and making selections/repositioning (Spacebar-drag). It happened infrequently at first, but now happens within minutes of opening a new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on Windows 10. It occurs while panning a document with spacebar. Happens every 30 minutes or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My experience as well. Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing this issue, which is new (don't recall this happening in the past). I started a thread (https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/ps-cc-2020-freezing-when-scrolling/m-p/11110841?page=1#M328...), but want to follow this one.

I'm also usually zoomed-in and spacebar scrolling when it occurs. Files aren't unusually large. And I can typically save, close, and re-open to get full functionality back.

But I also just had it happen and completely lock up my computer. Couldn't force-quit, switch to another program, etc. Had to do a forced hard shut-down of computer.

I'm on Mac Pro (Late 2013), 24GB RAM, OS X 10.13.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I also have a problem with freezing. Good that I'm not alone with it, bad that there doesn't seem to be a real solution for weeks unless you go back a few versions. So it's more the program itself than the operating system. I have also worked with competing products (Pix... & Aff...) and both of them are not frozen. But no agency standard yet. So what I would like to hear now from an Adobe employee is: Ok, we'll take care of it right away, our developers have understood the problem. next week there will be an update... that would be nice.

Here are my reports on it from an "f...." expensive Mac Pro from work. On a clean install... just to make sure 🙂

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-21-1-2-freezing-on-catalina-10-15-4...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-21-1-2-freezing-on-catalina-10-15-4-system-freezi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note that I disabled the 'Use Graphics Processor' option in PS for a couple days and did NOT experience the typical freezes. I was doing the same type of work that would generally cause it, and on the same types of files. 

I know it's not a solution, but thought it might help debug the root issue. I did notice some other random weird screen anomolies on occassion, that I had not seen before I switched off the graphics processor. But they didn't cause the screen to freeze. I did miss flinging the image around with scrolling, but that was also when the freeze would occur.

My machine has dual AMD FirePro D300 graphics cards, with 2GB RAM each, in case it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been experiencing the same thing on 21.1.3. On Windows 10, with 32GB of ram and a GTX 1660. The window I'm working in will lock up until I close it and reopen it. It only seems to affect the file I'm currently working on, and my tool will default back to a cursor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having this issue. It happens more frequently now to the point where the program is nearly unusable. I use pan scroll and the camera flicks to the left, if I fight it, it locks the entire program and I have to save and quit out to fix it. Im on a pc with 16 gb Ram, GTX 1080, and Ryzen 1600. This is a good program 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here on a MacPro 2013, D700 6 GB VRAM, 64 GB RAM, running HighSierra. When I am checking one or more images at 100 % or larger and pan around using the space bar. I have to force quit Photoshop. Since 21.2 I at least get a recovered version of the latest image including all changes even when not saved before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Exactly like you describe it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, it has been happening in every update since atleast 21.1 for me, already contatcte adobe support multiple times and they keep coming with "performance issues" as the issue. ( I have the same issue in 2 different computers completly different hardware top end machines used for heavy grafics work).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS: on windows, so it's broken on both ends

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup still having this problem as you described. Gonna follow this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a workaround to make it slighty less annoying.

Go to keyboard shortcuts-window-new window (just add whatever shortcut you want)

It just duplicates que frozen window to one that is not frozen... Just need to close the frozen window after and keep working.

It's a completly dumb fix but it's better than fully closing photoshop or the file and reopening it. Already saved me a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant belive how crazy expensive Adobe CC is and i cant believe less that we see ourselfves forced to resort to this kind of fix to use it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Temporaty Fix! When the window or funtions freeze on my CS6 I just have to grab and move the open window/file itself a little and if free's up the program.  I'm on a Mac with an older large Wacom.

So just go to the greyed out area to the left or right of the window title (at the top). Click on it, hold and shift it any direction a little nudge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just chiming in here to say that I'm having the same issue on a high-spec PC. I noticed that another user mentioned they were using an older Wacom device, which I am as well (Cintiq 21 UX) but all of my drivers are up to date for that, but not sure if that could be a contributing factor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling OpenCL may help as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines