Photoshop 21.2.2 : "Cannot save due to a "program error" on macOS 10.15.6

Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used Photoshop for more than 20 years, and have never had this message until the past week: 

Could not save “name of.psd” because of a program error. Now it's happened 3 times. I can't determine what action(s) might be triggering it. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. I'm using the very latest version of Photoshop CC 21.2.2 with the latest version of MacOS 10.15.6.  Thanks.

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. Please go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left and check if Photoshop 2020 is added to the list. If you don't see the app in the list, add Photoshop to the list by first unlocking the window using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon and navigating to the Applications folder. Once done, restart the computer to check if that helps.

You can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop 21.2.2 : "Cannot save due to a "program error" on macOS 10.15.6

Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used Photoshop for more than 20 years, and have never had this message until the past week: 

Could not save “name of.psd” because of a program error. Now it's happened 3 times. I can't determine what action(s) might be triggering it. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. I'm using the very latest version of Photoshop CC 21.2.2 with the latest version of MacOS 10.15.6.  Thanks.

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. Please go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left and check if Photoshop 2020 is added to the list. If you don't see the app in the list, add Photoshop to the list by first unlocking the window using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon and navigating to the Applications folder. Once done, restart the computer to check if that helps.

You can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 25, 2020 3
159 Replies 159
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 1
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 2
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, are you on a Mac, which version? which exact Ps version? what else did you try?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 0
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Air 2014, OS Catalina; Photoshop 2020. There are many fixes recommended and I probably tried them all. I also reinstalled Photoshop, deleting prefernces but no luck.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 0
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, do you have any third party plug-ins, scripts? Is any other program running while this happens? (check removing them one by one)

Saving locally?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 0
Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sucks! I just got the same issue! I realized that it had something to do with the layer I was recently working in. I don't think this is an actual fix but maybe a workaround for the time being. I simply hid all the layers and saved the PSD file then closed PS and tried opening and saving the file in the format I wanted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 04, 2021 2
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Nikunj. It's now been two days since I did the first step you suggested (privacy tab/accessibility/add Photoshop to the list), and I've not have the problem since doing that. So thanks for your suggestion, because this isn't something I would have ever thought about doing or even knew about. --Paul

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 0
Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @nikunj.m I'm using PS 2021 on Macbook Pro for a while now.  Lately I'm experiencing the same error.  I can Save As but not Save.  My Privacy tab already has PS 2021 listed.  Please help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2020 1
Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nikunj.m Apologies.  I closed PS 2020, restarted my Macbook, now PS 2021 can save with no issue.  So the issue was PS 2021 was somehow added to my Privacy but I was using PS 2020.  When I started using PS 2021, Save works again now.  

Should I uninsall PS 2020 and other lower versions?  Nik Collection has stopped working with PS 2020 & 2021.  I copied the Nik Collection folder (not under PS 2018) to PS 2020 and PS 2021, it now works with PS 2021 only (not PS 2020). 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2020 0
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here! Running PS 22.1 on a Mac OS with Big Sur 11.1.

I can neither save specific files as psd nor export as jpg or png for example. It also won't allow me to merge Layers/Groups! The trick with hiding the layers and then saving as psd works for me but is not a solution! Also this doesn't solve the issue of not being able to export to jpg or png. 

This only occurs with some files for me. 

Also when zooming in and moving around my artboard I get major glitches!

I'm using a MacBook Pro with 3,5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 processor and 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 memory.

I never before experienced such SEVERE problems with photoshop and am using it since 10 years.

Adobe needs to fix this! I'm paying every month for a super buggy so-called professional program!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 11
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same exact issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 2
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem and am on a deadline. Someone please help!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 2
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TEMPORARY FIX: I used Adobe Photoshop 2019 and for some reason, I can save just fine. I am only having the issue in Adobe Photoshop 2021. I will try troubleshooting 2021 later, but I am on a deadline at the moment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 1
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran across this issue today. My iMac wasn't saving if I had any copied layers so I wouldn't copy them and it worked. My Windows laptop had recently been reset and I was working on a project and couldn't save to my HD or to the cloud. Kept getting the program error. Also wouldn't let me export it as a png or jpg so I had to scrap the whole project. Will try tomorrow on my iMac and will use an older version of Photoshop if issue persists.

Please fix.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 0
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me either! Also I've been a life-of-the-product user with almost zero issues through many, many macs and OS systems. This combination of Big Sur and Photoshop (current version) is broken. I cannot save a layered file after working on it for any length of time. If I make all the layers invisible, then I can save the file. In order to continue working on the file, I have to restart Photoshop and go through the same process. I have tried all the other "fixes" like resetting preferences, changing the name of a folder inside the app, as well as this "solution". I even took the extreme measure of wiping the hard drive, installing a fresh copy of Big Sur, then installing a fresh copy of Photoshop with the same results - after about 3 or 4 minutes of working on a layered file, I cannot save it or save as without the afore-mentioned process. I have a Macbook Pro, Mid 2014 Retina, 13 inch with 8 gigs of Ram. As it stands now I cannot use the program on my mac until this issue is resolved and have to move product over to my PC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 2
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update!!!!! It does the same thing on Windows 10, where there have also been no previous issues. It is now clear that Photoshop is broken in it's current state. What a waste of time and money dealing with a basic issue like this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 6
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't able to continue with my work so I started to create it completely new on my laptop to test a theory. My desktop is what was giving me the exporting issues, however, my laptop gave me no problems at all. Both my desktop and laptop have the same Mac version and photoshop version as well as performance pereferences...but my laptop worked?? That makes absolutely no sense at all. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 1
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know how to flag this 'solution' for further review? I feel silly just hanging in this comment thread hoping Adobe notices there are a bunch of people who still have this problem, and that their original solution doesn't fix it for most of us. Is there a way to escalate it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 4
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clicked "more" and then  "report" on the reply, and then reported the reply with the message "this issue is NOT solved!" 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 1
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was told that it wouldn't be fixed until the February update. It seems like this isn't a priority for Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 26, 2020 0
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am having the same issue on a windows 10 computer. I am using ps 2021 on a wacom mobile studio pro 2. It does not seem to be resolved by your suggestions. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 26, 2020 0
Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, but I'm on Windows 10/PC. 

It seems to happen when I copy layers to another file. For me, the error comes up if the layers are on, but if I turn the layers off, it saves. But that's obviously problematic because the layers are supposed to be on. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 08, 2021 2
Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of this works! I can't work because I can't use Photoshop. I need this fixed or I may as well close my business down now!! ADOBE you have a lot to answer for!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2021 3
Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me. I cannot save to my NAS system...I can Save As, but not save...Please help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2020 0
Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not help. Hope Adobe get this quick solved becuase editing works waiting...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2020 3
Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally fixed mine. Went to Photoshop and opened preferences. I selected the clear preferences when quitting option. I quit photoshop and restarted my computer. I was able to save documents after the restart. Hope this works for you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2020 0
Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I spoke too soon...This problem is back. Initially I fixed this by clearing preferences and restarting my computer. But now I'm back to not being able to save images...Any solutions out there? 

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 1.45.57 PM (2).png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2020 2
Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same. PS can save about 5 pictures, and then need to restart Mac, and then can save again about 5... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2020 0
Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's working for me at the moment, weirdly, is hiding all the layers before saving. I had the same problem on MacOS Catalina with PS 22.1.0 Tried the different preferences suggestions and spent hours on chat with an adobe person which didn't solve it. But hiding layers does!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2020 7
Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. This worked for me. Thank you. 

Looking forward to an update that might correct for this error. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 13, 2020 0
Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, cuz 'Adobe person' is probably some barely trained person in India making 2$ an hour..

Real customer service nearly doesn't exist these days..

BTW, thx, hiding the layers worked for me. Last time I ran into this, I had to select and copy 20 damned layers over to a new document.. As an artist, I work with a lot of layers, so this issue can be a real pain in the neck (especially since it's apparent that Adobe cares more about implementing halfass AI plugins that don't even work, than about implementing core artist features that have been in other lesser known softwares for ages now)..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2020 0
Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much grey279, that works for me too! Genius!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2020 0
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This worked for me too. Kinda crazy this hasn't been fixed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2020 0
Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're the real MVP. This worked for me too. Thanks so much!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2020 0
Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This "works" but I still need to export photos as jpegs which gives me the same error, Do we know any way around that yet?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2020 1
Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually worked for me! Thanks! I thought I was gonna lose hours of work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2020 1
Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found another workaround. I started with all the layers invisible since saving it that way will always work. Then I turned on one layer at a time while saving every time I did so and discovered the problem lies in a single layer which happens to be the only layer imported from Illustrator. So I mergered that layer with the one below it and now my projects save. We'll see how long it lasts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2020 0
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this worked for me!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2020 0
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiding layers seemed to work for me too. Ughhhh!! What a joke. I still can't export PNGs from artboards though. It gives me an error. I'm using Photoshop 2021 and Catalina 10.15.7. I want to toss my laptop out the window. I wish this issue was a priority for Adobe! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2020 1
Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hay!... thanks a lot that worked for me !!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 01, 2021 0
Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can save your project as a jpeg then open it in the paint app and re-save it as png, thats what i have to do the share my projects online because they are too big to share or email normally.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2021 0
Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm using PSD Ver. 22.0.1 on a MBP 16" (2.6GHz/32/1TB/8GB 5500M) and am consitently unable to save multiple layer docs. After an initial 'Save As' the aplication shows the "Could not save due to a program error" message. The application is un-usable in this state and I am forced to use Ver 20.0.6 as 'duplicating layers' to a new document is not a practical day-to-day workaround... Am a veteran Photoshop user and have tried the 'solutions' to date, please help!!

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 12.14.16.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2020 1
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update here-

I have Extensis Suitcase Fusion installed- Version 21.2.1 (9438), after dissabling the Suitcase plugin PSD 2021 is error free atm. 

Have only just tried it with several files but will keep using it and post again if it remains 'Program Error' free over the next days.

So def check and dissable plugins, can't believe I overlooked this +hope it helps... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 1
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that I had the same issue as this thread and disabling the Extensis Suitcase Fusion plugin for Photoshop now allows me to save files as expected.

To do this I went Suitcase Fusion > Manage Plugins > selected Adobe Photoshop 2021 from the drop down menu and unchecked it. I authorised the system to disable the plugin.

So, for now, there would seem to be a compatability issue between the two programs.

For completness, I'm running Photoshop 22.1, Extensis Suitcase Fusion 21.2.1 on a 2019 iMac running MacOS 10.15.7

Hope that helps anyone in the same position.

Very frustrating!

VBW

M

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 26, 2020 0
Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, I can't save documents since the last update. I did the step by step described above, it didn't work.Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 16.02.20.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2020 0
Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here using Win 10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2020 1
Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, also Windows 10. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2020 0
Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too, and no answer on the chat nor on my question in the chat, and the above-mentionedunable-to-save.png method isn't a solution either because I would loose my work. I'm on a PC with windows 10 that today also had an update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2020 0
Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me on my Windows, Adobe I hope you hear this!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2020 0
Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem... I put in hours of work and was unable to save! Lots time and money because of this...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2020 1
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here! And today it doesn't let me use the crop tool, when I try to crop the document, the "because of a program error" comes up!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 1
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the only way i found to save is to put all sh*t in one layer, and uncheck the layer, and save. At least not all work is gone, but there is still NO way to export it to whatsoever sort of other document. Frustrating. (read: throwing pc out of window now)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2020 1
Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, I need to export nearly all my work so currently photoshop is unusable. Adobe please help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 01, 2021 0
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all the above recommendations and nothing will work for me.

I have a client waiting on files, we need help *now* Adobe! And we also need a refund for our month that we are paying for a service that does not work.

Using macbook pro - Catalina 10.15.6

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2020 1
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried duplicating the image, turning off everything except the bottom layer then woring your was up one layer at a time and merging down as you go?  I wonder if that might help.  Mine has been working fine recently but every night when I go to bed I turn computer off and unplug it.  I will say that I haven't been working on any massive files recetly with 30 or 40 layers though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2020 0
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried rolling back your version of Photoshop to a previous release?  I rolled back two updates and I've been fine since.    You can do it in your creative cloud app.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2020 0
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did and that didn't help me at all BUT today I just realized that if I actually go in and save (or save as) each file (I know, insanely annoying) and click the "Save to Cloud Documents" it will save as I want it to without having to turn off any layers. So while I didn't use cloud docs before (kept them on an external hard drive) I will have to until they fix this bug. Hope this helps people for the time being! 

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 2.23.53 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2020 0