Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 21.2.4 Unable to open because scratch disk is full

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My operating system is High Sierra

To correct the scratch disk, it says to select the command and option keys (mac) as I launch photoshop. I did, but I still get the scratch disk box, but it doesn't allow me to do anything with it. I uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop, but still am in the same spot. I'm unable to open Photoshop to make any necessary adjustments. 

Are there any work arounds for this? 

Hope someone can help me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message is very real. You have 5.74 GB free, which is practically nothing. You will soon have much bigger problems than Photoshop not opening. The whole machine can freeze up at any moment. I have single files that are bigger than 5.74 GB.

Photoshop moves large amounts of data around, and so it has to store temporary working data on disk as you go. Scratch disk is real physical disk space. If you don't have disk space, no Photoshop preference setting can change that. You should normally have around 300 - 500 GB free to be on the safe side, depending on the size of your files and how many you have open at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally was able to open up Photoshop and the scratch disk is now 12.78 GB free. I know, still very low, how can I adjust the size of it. May I ask what kind of computer do you have as far as it's memory size, ram, etc. if it is a Mac. I'm going to need a larger computer to handle the work that I do. Thank you for the feedback with explaining Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"How can I adjust the size of it."

"You can adjust the size of it by freeing up more space. The scratch disk is looking for space that is not being used.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scratch-disks-preferences.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PC is a 7 year old i7 3770k PC but it runs like new 🙂

A 500GB SSD for the OS and apps

Another 256GB SSD for the scratch disk

2 * 4TB HDD, one for storage and the other to backup the storage

32GB of RAM

RTX2060 Super 8GB GPU

Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"My PC is a 7 year old i7 3770k PC"

Ged, @cfishman  is on a Mac. If (I know that's a big "if") you were buying a Mac today, what would you choose?

https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/specs/

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if I won the lotto I'd go for this one 😋

2020-10-24 14_38_36-Bag - Apple.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e 

Just realised how expensive MAC's are

3.1GHz 6-core 10th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory, configurable up to 128GB
256GB SSD storage
Radeon Pro 5300 with 4GB of GDDR6 memory

For $1,799.00, a normal PC with that config would cost about €800

2020-10-24 14_55_19-Buy 27-inch iMac - Apple.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ged, you forgot to factor in the apple logo: gold plated, with ruby inlays and diamond-sprinkled highlights: $1200 😉

That MacPro looks impressive, but there are two dealbreaker problems with it:

• you can't put in more disks. You'll need to have them dangling by thunderbolt or USB wires, and what does that do to the sleek design. It ruins it, that's what. I currently have 25 TB of disks in my box.
  • the screen. iMac screens aren't particularly good (about on Dell level, or good laptop grade) - but you've paid for it and you're stuck with it.

Come to think of it, there's a third problem: Over in the Lightroom forum, someone just needed to upgrade the OS, and the advice was to get an Apple technician to do it. Us Windows folks do this before breakfast, replace the video card by lunchtime, and update all drivers between snacks. This is routine stuff. Plus, you learn how computers work in the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy Buddha

Look at this price of their RAM

2020-10-24 16_04_46-Apple Memory Module 16GB DDR4 2400MHz SO-DIMM (2x8GB) - Apple (IE).png

and in the real world

2020-10-24 16_05_04-Corsair Memory Kit 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM Memory at Amazon.com.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

profit1.png

BTW Microsoft wasn't on the list for 2019, so I don't know what they did last year.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/the-worlds-20-most-profitable-companies/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@D Fosse ,

I bought Apple stock a very long time ago. All I'll say is that it was a wise investment. 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mom's computer is a PC with Windows 10. I'm going to install the
software on hers to see what it has. She rarely used it for large projects
like I use my mac for. Thank you for the input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines