• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop (21.2.4 Win7/64) Crashing on Startup api-ms-win-core*.dll files missing error. (PSA)

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So around Dec 12 2020 I stopped using PS for a bit and came back to it throwing errors at the initializing step in the startup sequence, the errors stated that I was missing an api-ms-win-core*.dll, this one api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-2-0.dll, so I went and installed it, only to have it continue crashing with a new .dll error listed.

Well after 3 days of trouble shooting I noticed that for some odd reason, adobe creative cloud installed the 13.1 version of camera raw, which is incompatible with Win 7. This to me makes no sense as I downloaded the older version of PS for Win7 yet they gave me a camera raw version that won't work. After installing an older version (12.4) of camera raw found here (Camera Raw plug-in installer) PS started with no issues.

Seeing how many people run into the missing .dll problem, creative cloud installing incompatible plug-ins, and as checking your camera raw version is not listed anywhere to my knowledge as a troubleshooting step I'm posting this PSA. Maybe Adobe will even add it to a known issue or troubleshooting step.

Hopefully if anyone has run into this issue my post can help them out.

Cheers

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?