• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 21.2 artboard gets covered with a grey screen and the the app runs slower

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else having an issue of Photoshop running super slow and a grey appears after each click? There is a lag after every click and this happens to my workspace each time I click around in the program or in a different application. It makes working impossible. I use artboards pretty regularly and the entire workspace gets covered up by a grey box after every click. It goes away but stays for about 2 seconds. There are three artboards under the box. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 11.45.35 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that a grey box appears on the Artboard workspace in Photoshop 21.2.0 and the app is running unexpectedly slow.

Would you mind unchecking the option "Legacy compositing" from the Preferences> Performance menu in Photoshop and let us know if that helps? Also, what is your operating system and its version?

If it does not helps, try unchecking the option "use graphics processor" in the same Preferences> Performance menu and share the outcome with us.

To improve the app performance, you may checkout the steps mentioned in this article https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-slow-lags.html

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! When I first had the issue the first thing I did was uncheck "use graphics processor". It actually helped to turn ON "Legacy compositing" and then turn"use graphics processor" back on. Things seem to be back to normal now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. Glad to know that the workaround has helped the cause.

Feel free to get back to us in case you have any additional queries.

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

Would you be able to provide a bit more information on the issue, as many users are having the same problem and it started after the last update.

I read most of the similar topics and tried:

1. turning off both "Legacy compositing" and "Use Graphics Processor",

2. turning off only "Legacy compositing"

3. turning off only "Use Graphics Processor"

4. turning them both on,

5. "Reset All Warning Dialogs"

6. "Reset Preferences on Quit"

and every time I restart Ps for the effects to take place, but nothing works. Sadly I don't have the technical knowledge to explore and test our other solutions.

Specs:

Photoshop 21.2.0

Mac OS Catalina v10.15.5 

Processor: 3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

Memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

Issue PreviewIssue Preview

Thanks,

Diana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I spoke too soon. The issue restarts every time I open Photoshop again. No matter what combination of these settings the issue always comes back (like other user listed below):

1. turning off both "Legacy compositing" and "Use Graphics Processor",

2. turning off only "Legacy compositing"

3. turning off only "Use Graphics Processor"

4. turning them both on,

5. "Reset All Warning Dialogs"

6. "Reset Preferences on Quit"

I have a new issue on a file with 6 artboards where the entire bottom section of the canvas blinks black on and off rapidly everytime I click out of Photoshop. Once this started happening I'm back to the slow work performance and glitching again. If I go and flick all the above settings on and off, it does return to normal but I have to do it each time I open a new document and I have no idea what is actually working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same issue with Adobe Photoshop 2021. I followed the instructions Akash Sharma provided and hit a road block when 2021 no longer includes a Legacy Compositing check box! Its gone, due to modernization. I havent a clue where to look towards now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines