Highlighted

Photoshop 21.2 Text Tool not working well

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm always late on updating Photoshop, so I only updated to 21.2 fairly recently and I have to say I hate many things about it.

My key problem is with the text tool, however. I rest both my preferences and the text tool itself, which got rid of some of my problems but one of the biggest ones still remains.

The little vertical line that indicates where I am about to type (forgot what it's called) is twice as tall as it should be and doesn't place correctly. I have to click some distance above the line of text I actually want to edit in order for it to land where I want. For lines that are at the top of the text box, this makes thing extra difficult because photoshop will register my clicks as me clicking off the textbox instead of placing that little indicator line down where I want it. Also, because it's so tall the highlight when I highlight text is also so tall that it covers multiple lines of text so I have difficulty figuring out if I've highlighted the right text or not.

This is VERY frustrating. I'm in the middle of a text heavy project and it's slowing me down. Does anyone know how to fix this?

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop 21.2 Text Tool not working well

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm always late on updating Photoshop, so I only updated to 21.2 fairly recently and I have to say I hate many things about it.

My key problem is with the text tool, however. I rest both my preferences and the text tool itself, which got rid of some of my problems but one of the biggest ones still remains.

The little vertical line that indicates where I am about to type (forgot what it's called) is twice as tall as it should be and doesn't place correctly. I have to click some distance above the line of text I actually want to edit in order for it to land where I want. For lines that are at the top of the text box, this makes thing extra difficult because photoshop will register my clicks as me clicking off the textbox instead of placing that little indicator line down where I want it. Also, because it's so tall the highlight when I highlight text is also so tall that it covers multiple lines of text so I have difficulty figuring out if I've highlighted the right text or not.

This is VERY frustrating. I'm in the middle of a text heavy project and it's slowing me down. Does anyone know how to fix this?

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do the following steps, let us know whether it solves the problem.
Disable GPU from Preference/Performance section
Disable Font preview   ( Type menu Font Preview Size to None)

-Vinod

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't fix the problem, unfortunately. Is there anything else I could do?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The little vertical line that indicates where I am about to type (forgot what it's called) is twice as tall as it should be and doesn't place correctly.

Hi @bethanyl38109723 

Can you click an insertion point in your text and show a screen shot with your text and the Character panel (Window menu)? The vertical line, btw, is called an I-beam.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2020 0
dbrigleb LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. I disabled the GPU and the problem was gone. Oddly, though, I re-enabled the GPU and it continued to work correctly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0