Photoshop 22.0.1 Tools Are Very Slow on macOS Catalina

Participant ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Photoshop 22.0.1 on a 2019 Mac Pro (macOS 10.15.7 Catalina) with plenty of RAM, scratch disk space, etc.

Some Photoshop tools are very slow.

For example, Lasso Tool used to draw small space to add to current selection takes approx 5 seconds to add selection. If I start a new selection with the Lasso Tool the first selection goes okay, but additional selections lag badly. Also, dragging the tool does not drag the marching ants line on the additional selections.

Same results with brush tool in Content Aware Fill preview when attempting to brush to add or delete content source pixels. If I brush out green selected area it takes 10-15 seconds for that area to disappear and CAF preview to update.

Would be great if this can get fixed soon. Or at least get an Adobe person to let us know the issue is being fixed.

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop 22.0.1 Tools Are Very Slow on macOS Catalina

Participant ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Photoshop 22.0.1 on a 2019 Mac Pro (macOS 10.15.7 Catalina) with plenty of RAM, scratch disk space, etc.

Some Photoshop tools are very slow.

For example, Lasso Tool used to draw small space to add to current selection takes approx 5 seconds to add selection. If I start a new selection with the Lasso Tool the first selection goes okay, but additional selections lag badly. Also, dragging the tool does not drag the marching ants line on the additional selections.

Same results with brush tool in Content Aware Fill preview when attempting to brush to add or delete content source pixels. If I brush out green selected area it takes 10-15 seconds for that area to disappear and CAF preview to update.

Would be great if this can get fixed soon. Or at least get an Adobe person to let us know the issue is being fixed.

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 24, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. Please go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left and check if you see Photoshop added to the list with a check mark in front of it. If Photoshop is not a part of the list, please add it by unlocking the window first using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon and navigating to the Applications folder. Also, grant permissions to Photoshop under Full disk access located in the same list as Accessibility. Once done, restart the Mac and check if it helps.

You can also try the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-slow-lags.html

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2020 0
Participant ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply Nikunj.

I tried the process you described with System Preferences. It did not help.

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop. It did not help.

I tried with Third Party plug-ins disabled. It did not help.

I tried with the Photoshop>Preferences>Performance unchecking the Use Graphics Processor unchecked. It did not help.

Let me redescribe the symptom to see if this will assist you.

I have a Tif format image file open. The file is 387 MB with three layers. I have flattened the file and its new size is 175 MB. I select the Lasso Tool and use it to draw a loop selection. It works fine with this first selection. I press the Shift Key and use the Lasso Tool to draw a second selection. The + sign appears at the Lasso Tool. When I click and drag the second selection, no selection line appears. And when I release the mouse click it takes approximately 5-10 seconds for the marching ants of the second selection to appear. This same behavior is there with both file sizes.

I would appreciate any further advice you may have. Or if this is a bug in Photoshop (it sure seems to be a bug) please let me know if it will be addressed in an update. This difficulty and similar difficulties with other tools are very disruptive of workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 0