• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 22.1.1 crashes while opening heif / heic files on macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Photoshop started to support HEIF/HEIC files I converted my whole archive to HEIF/HEIC. It worked fine so far, but now Photoshop crashes each time when I try to open such files.

I am using, of course, the newest version of PS on a MacPro 2013 with MacOS 10.14.6

Does have anybody an Idea what happend and how to fix this issue?

Thank you

Ralf

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. Please try disabling the option to Use Graphics Processor from Photoshop by going to Preferences, then Performance. Once done, quit & relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps.

If the issue persists, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know it if helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried both options described above, and does NOT work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work. Can't open heic files despite resetting preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2023 Sep 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since you have multiple responses telling you that this is not a solution, what else can you tell us to try?

Photoshop should not crash everytime HEIC files are opened and many community members are reporting this as an issue. Maybe Photoshop isn't capable of handling such files?

This really needs to be resolved immediately. It's unimaginable how this issue was able to slip through any sort of quality control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm that Photoshop doe NOT open .HEIC files. I have a backlog of photos I have to edit for work and simply can't because it crashes every single time I attempt to open them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed - Photoshop 22.3.0 does not recognize the .HEIC file extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am having the same problem, Photoshop 22.3.0 crashing on MacOS Catalina when opening HEIC files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for november 2021 Photoshop 22.5.0 still crashes. This is unbelievable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try with 23.0.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer.

Do you mean I should downgrade PS / install a previous version in order to open HEICs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use photoshop for work on my Imac, everything was perfect , and in last few month Photoshop stared regulary crashing and restarting while working with HEIC files.....  very flustrating and embaracing a specialy while iam trying to work in front of customer.  how i can solve this problem please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, could you please post the contents of Photoshop's Help>System Info... menu, so that we get to know your OS, its version, the exact version of Photoshop you are running, the date of the GPU driver, etc.

If you can also share a file that routinely crashes Photoshop, please share it as well so that @nikunj.m van take a look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet another unanswered post. Two years later and I'm having this problem. Why would Apple change its default file type to HEIC only to have Photoshop, the most used editing software on the planet, unable to open it. Adobe, it's been years. What's your response?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I've found to remedy this issue is to open the image in Preview, then save a copy, which defaults to jpg format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently do exactly the same step to work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And why Adobe is silent since 2021, there are many feedbacks it is still not working for many people, including me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the old, unconverted, files still open OK?

Did this happen as soon as you converted (never worked) or some time later (stopped working)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I replied to an old, old message just because there was a new one. I think it is because there is now a block of "Similar resources" just under the initial post, making it look like there are no replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

December and no correction. Could Apple and Adobe please work together?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow.... now it's 2024 and this is still an issue with Adobe. I would expect better for what they charge creatives...

I guess the only solution is to go through whatver hundreds of images you need to work with and convert to JPEG or a format that Photoshop can deal with... Very frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And yet they keep raising those mandatory subscription prices.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines