• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 22.2 crashing while creating a straight line using "Shift+click line" on Windows 10

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop runs very smoothly with no lag while drawing. Until I use larger brushes and start drawing straight lines using the "shift+click and draw" function of the brush tool. The crash happens when photoshop connects the two lines, and there is no hang before the crash, it is straight from operation to dead in less than a second without fail every time. This happens regardless of the shortcut key used so the problem is probably the "auto-draw" function that connects the two lines. This only started happening when updated from 20.01. While I'm willing to accept the brush I'm using is a little over-detailed, I know the problem isn't the computer, but I'll post specs anyway. I reset back to 20.0, but this reset all my preferences and brushes, very annoying.

-64 GB RAM DDR4 3000

-i7- 7700k

-Nvidia 2070 6GB

-Photoshop is allocated to two scratch disks of over 50 GBs each.

No fix as far as I could find.

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop 22.2 while using the brush tool to create a straight line. Does the app crash while using all brushes or a specific brush? You can try restoring the preferences & settings that reset while rolling back using the details mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

For the issue you're experiencing with the brush tool, please try disabling the option to Use Graphics Processor from Photoshop by going to Preferences, then Performance. Once done, quit

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

I just tried resetting the preferences when I got the email about your response lol. After doing so, the crash still happens, but less consistently. There's now like a 30-50% fail rate. Disabling GPU didn't appear to change this, testing got hit and miss since the lower fail rate. I'm using a ton of brushes to test.

Once resetting the Brush tool the fail rate dropped even lower. So I reset my Wacom's drivers (version 6.3.42-2)  and now it hasn't crashed. Glad this was a quick fix, let's hope it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop 22.2 while using the brush tool to create a straight line. Does the app crash while using all brushes or a specific brush? You can try restoring the preferences & settings that reset while rolling back using the details mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

For the issue you're experiencing with the brush tool, please try disabling the option to Use Graphics Processor from Photoshop by going to Preferences, then Performance. Once done, quit & relaunch Photoshop to check if you continue to face the same behavior.

You can also try resetting the Brush tool using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html#tool

Please backup your settings & preferences prior to resetting the tool or making any other changes.

Please let us know if it helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just tried resetting the preferences when I got the email about your response lol. After doing so, the crash still happens, but less consistently. There's now like a 30-50% fail rate. Disabling GPU didn't appear to change this, testing got hit and miss since the lower fail rate. I'm using a ton of brushes to test.

Once resetting the Brush tool the fail rate dropped even lower. So I reset my Wacom's drivers (version 6.3.42-2)  and now it hasn't crashed. Glad this was a quick fix, let's hope it stays that way. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines